Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Mech Mods Completed

Hey y'all. Just wanted to update my CAI mod - it is done. That completes my planned mechanical mods: MRT-V2 axlebacks, RX Catch Can, and now CAI Cold Air Induction. Now... to consider some asthetic improvements (very little needed).

I've attached a couple of photos and some comments about theCAI installation that those who will be DIY-ing may want to take note of.

Overall it's a pretty simple install, but if you are like me you want clear instructions before you start disassembling your $30K (or more) car. The instructions provided with the CAI, Inc. kit are pretty good but fall short in a couple of places.

1. Terminology was a bit unclear with the use of "wire loom" and "MAF" (Mass Air Flow), if you're not a mechanic (as I am not). Familiarize yourself with the terms before you begin your DIY.

2. Some of the photos in the instructions are not of a 2012 LFX Camaro. I think CAI needs to create separate instructions specifically for LFX and LLT engines.

3. Tools required. Add to the list a 5/16" Nutdriver and a medium sized flat tip screwdriver.

Things to Note:

MAF Sensor. When installing the MAF onto the new intake tube, be sure to notice the arrow on the MAF which (I assume) indicates the direction of ariflow. Again, something a DIYer may not notice and something that should be mentioned in the instructions.

Battery Ground. Once the CAI box is installed, you will no longer have access to the grounding stud used to jump the battery unless you remove the filter box cover. Even then I don't think you can get a clean clamp on the stud. You'll want to make other arrangements for jump starting.

Other than that, installation went smoothly. Took about an hour including taking pictures and making notes. Sounds good, runs good, looks good. Haven't given it a hard test yet for get up and go. Raining today.
Attached Images
Attached Images

2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)

Last edited by PalmerGA; 06-11-2012 at 08:36 PM.
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Looks good, thanks for the pics too. So any seat of the pants impressions on performance?
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
PalmerGA

Added final picture (above).

Thanks. Been having lots of rain here lately (expecting more tomorrow). I'll give it a workout when the roads dry off good. Initial sound impressions are a little more depth (throaty) and perhaps a bit louder in the cabin - still not overly loud though.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Looks good Palmer! I love the sound of the CAI and MRT V2.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSyT View Post
Looks good Palmer! I love the sound of the CAI and MRT V2.
Me too. Awesome. Can't imagine a better sounding combo - especially when you jump on it a little (doesn't take much to sound off).
Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Looks fantastic man!! Nice job!! I believe the first mod I will make is the CAI as well. When I can afford it, that is. Trying to save some dinaro for vacation right now.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
2Fr3shKicks

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro RS
Nice still figuring out what intake I should go with
2Fr3shKicks is offline   Reply With Quote