Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
aggravating suspension mod

so the past 2 weeks or so have been incredibly frustrating. started off by installing springs in the front only. that was all fine and well then i got it aligned. the car started making weird knocking noises in the front suspension and it honestly fell like it was going to fall apart. i took it to the dealer right away and it turns out one of my sway bar links was completely detached so i said okay. they replaced the link and charged me 2 hrs labor which is complete bull considering i could do it in a fraction of that myself. instead of arguing with they guy i just took it and said okay because i spent the entire day at the dealer and was just too worn out. now my car is riding really funny with a slight vibration and occasionally pulls either right or left. i am so incredibly frustrated and now its going back to the dealer tomorrow again to be reinspected. the springs themselves look amazing and i love how my cars stance looks. but this whole process is making me think if it was worthwhile.
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
Stock links with drop springs?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Try a performance shop.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
jake2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatt View Post
Stock links with drop springs?
ya
Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Try a performance shop.
agreed. really sounds like shody workmanship and general not knowing what to do or caring.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
heymatt

I may be wrong, but. Aren't adjustable links required when going to drop springs? Alignment specs would be different once you start changing suspension components that affect ride height.
Dealership is only going to set it back to "stock" specs. Which doesn't sound like it solved the problem.
Probably should look for either a mod friendly dealership in your area, or a performance shop that is familiar with the 5th Gens.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
jake2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatt View Post
I may be wrong, but. Aren't adjustable links required when going to drop springs? Alignment specs would be different once you start changing suspension components that affect ride height.
Dealership is only going to set it back to "stock" specs. Which doesn't sound like it solved the problem.
Probably should look for either a mod friendly dealership in your area, or a performance shop that is familiar with the 5th Gens.
but what would they do?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
heymatt

Front end is lower, rear is at stock height. The stock front links are at a fixed length needed for the stock springs. With the lowered springs, the front links are too long.
Best guess is they are flexing under an increased load. More weight transfer rear to front due to the increased rake of the car.
I don't claim to be an expert on 5th Gen suspension, that' s why I say best guess.
Others, I'm sure will chime in on the best possible fix.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
jake2212

ugh, wth. im about to just got back to stock springs. too much and i think i already ****ed with my warranty a little too much
Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
jake2212

actually, i am gonna get the bushings timed first. it was something i didn't do when i got the car lowered and now im thinking that could be/part of the problem.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
I would call the spring vendor and ask if stock endlinks work with your springs they might be binding. Timing the bushings will help eliminate bounciness dont think that would cause vibration hopefully pete from pedders will chime in or some of the suspension gurus. Dont despair I dont think its anything major frustrating as hell been there
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
jake2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
I would call the spring vendor and ask if stock endlinks work with your springs they might be binding. Timing the bushings will help eliminate bounciness dont think that would cause vibration hopefully pete from pedders will chime in or some of the suspension gurus. Dont despair I dont think its anything major frustrating as hell been there
they are pfadt springs
Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Stock ends links are just fine. That's not the issue at all. I ran stock end link with LSR swaybars and Hotckis springs for over a year without issue. I also ran a couple Auto-X events with that setup....again, no issue.

First thing I would say to do if you would like help from the forum is tell us exactly what you have and what you did. That's going help give us an idea of the whole setup.

BTW: what was the reasoning from just replacing the front springs? I would be concerned that the difference in spring rate between the new stiff ones in the front and soft ones in the rear might make the car ride funny. I don't know that for sure but I would think it would.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
jake2212

well i didn't get it checked out at the dealer because they wanted $150 just to see what was wrong with it. i took it back to the place where i got it aligned and they said everything looked perfectly okay. the steering wheel was a tad to the right so they straightened it out. looks like my car is okay
if i end up putting the stock springs back on(probably the route i will take) and go to a diff dealer will they charge me the 150 still to have it looked at?