Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
mgb

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS - 2012 ZL1
Help With Meth Injection

I bought a 2012 ZL1 with methanol injection system in which I know nothing about. Where can I go for info. The previous owner is not an option.
mgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Google and YouTube can be surprisingly informative. Post pictures here and ask more detailed questions
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #3
mgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
Google and YouTube can be surprisingly informative. Post pictures here and ask more detailed questions
I have 2 lites on dash above steering column. The one on the left is white (but turns red when it comes on), and the one on right is red. The one on the left comes on when it starts making some boost. I've not seen the one on the right come on. The box in the console has a test button, what does that do? How do I know if everything is working properly?
I just don't want to tear something up. I can't afford to tear anything up!
Old 12-07-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Snow Performance is the name most use, lots of info on their site

This is the std Camaro Kit

First thing you need to do is identify what system you have and what controller you have. Then look up the part # / part #'s on line and read up.

The basic function is you hit the go pedal and the system proportionally injects more or less Boost Juice (water / methanol) according to boost pressure. Start and full spray should be adjustable to match what the engine requires. The light you see that hasnt gone on could simply be the Low Level Light. Post pic's of the controller and other components and we can probably help a lot more.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
I have 2 lites on dash above steering column. The one on the left is white (but turns red when it comes on), and the one on right is red. The one on the left comes on when it starts making some boost. I've not seen the one on the right come on. The box in the console has a test button, what does that do? How do I know if everything is working properly?
Like the previous poster stated find out what system you have first.Sounds like you may have the Alky Control System. Run their Dual Nozzle System with 100% VP M1 no Water. Have the two lights "hidden" in the A/C Vent. Does your box with Test button have a rotary knob as well? The Test button is used to test system flow. When you hit "test" the other light should illuminate Red.When you do this it should also drop your RPMs temporarily and if you have an AFR gauge you will see a temporary spike in your AFR.

it would be nice to know how old system is as the Pump needs to be rebuilt after a year or so.(some folks say two years) I just bought an extra pump put the new one in and send the other back for rebuild. Where is your Alcohol Tank/Pump located and does it have Alcohol in it? Also very important to know if your Meth is just used for some additional cooling or if your Tune is based on it because if it is, you NEVER want to run out.That "could" spell trouble like at WOT Hope this helps a bit for now.

https://www.alkycontrol.com/faq

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly

Last edited by SSBUSDRVR; 12-07-2018 at 09:00 AM.
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Genobee

Drives: '15 ZL1
I have a single nozzle Snow Performance. I use it for cooling primarily. Long story short, keep the meth tank full with the recommended fluid.

Depending on your system, I also recommend using it primarily for cooling/insurance, unless you can monitor flow and ensure it never stops flowing when it needs to. Bad things happen if your engine is expecting meth and doesn't get it, like getting too hot -> detonation -> boom.

Slightly tangential, flex fuel / E85 is the way to go if you want a little extra without blindly trusting the system to always supply the fluid, because flex fuel will throw an engine code if the sensor fails, whereas you might NOT know if your meth stopped flowing. E85 also runs cooler and will help with keeping temps down. You will need bigger injectors and likely a fuel system upgrade though, compared to meth.

On boost-a-pump, stock ZL1 pump, flex fuel + tune, ID850's, you can run around ~E70 safely, but you can't run a full tank of E85 or you'll start to lean out at higher RPM. You'll need the upgraded fuel system + probably injectors, though ID850's can handle it, but out of comfortable/conservative duty cycle range.
Genobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post

The first light is a function light and the second light is a low meth warning light. Make sure you keep the bottle full. Going wot on an empty tank would be bad news. Meth is a great tool but you have to keep an eye on it. Find the controller and we can look up some more info for you.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I have the same kit. One light turns red for low amount of spray, green for full amount of spray which is controlled by tune I believe. Other light is low meth indicator. Mine usually starts flashing on corners when starting to get low when the methanol is sloshed to one side of the tank.

You can email this guy idoxlr8_70@yahoo.com for other info.
https://www.alkycontrol.com/contact

The seals go bad after several years of use due to the corrosive nature of Methanol too. So keep an eye out for that. Started noticing I was losing Meth pretty quick last year and finally noticed when the trunk carpet was wet and the car reeked inside. He was easy to work with and you can send the pump in and he'll redo the seals. For free if its under warranty still.

I custom rigged up a tupperware container (out of view) under the pump now so if it leaks it won't soak the trunk and I'll notice it.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #9
mgb

I guess it is an Alcy system. I've posted a couple of pics. Tank is in the trunk. Haven't located the pump yet (I will). Don't really know how old the system is. I don't think the pump has been rebuilt in the last couple of years. Here again, I'm just not familiar with meth injection. The car makes real good HP. I have no intentions of dragging or tracking the car, I just love HP, and I would like to know what's taking place (or suppose to) when I start to play. All info is greatly appreciated

Name:  20181207_161022.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  20181207_160916.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  227.0 KB
Old 12-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Hippy
Hotwheels

Drives: Hotwheels Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to Hippy
Like juiced said
The red one is the warming for the float in the tank.
The clear on turns red when activated then grean when it's squirting.

The tank in the truck is on the left?
If so the pump is beind it.
If it's just a square tank it could be in the spare tire hole.
Should of been calibrated to the tune. Or possible just used as cooling..
Afr guage?
Will tell you if it's to rich or lean when activated.

Zl1 with a screw blower should only run 100 percent meth..

Julio that builds these kits is a great guy with time to explain everything at any time.
He's located in Florida.

Google him for contact info if needed..

Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
That is the Alky Control System (well at least the Items you have pictured.)Hmmm there is no Low Level Float in that Tank with the System I have installed.What tanks do you guys have? My Red Light illuminates when you push the Test Button actually spraying Meth at low Pressure thus the Spike in AFR.

https://www.alkycontrol.com/failsafe

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #12
mgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
That is the Alky Control System (well at least the Items you have pictured.)Hmmm there is no Low Level Float in that Tank with the System I have installed.What tanks do you guys have? My Red Light illuminates when you push the Test Button actually spraying Meth at low Pressure thus the Spike in AFR.

https://www.alkycontrol.com/failsafe
How do I perform a test to see if it's working? What are the numbers on the dial, I noticed yours was on 8
Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
mgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
Like juiced said
The red one is the warming for the float in the tank.
The clear on turns red when activated then grean when it's squirting.

The tank in the truck is on the left?
If so the pump is beind it.
If it's just a square tank it could be in the spare tire hole.
Should of been calibrated to the tune. Or possible just used as cooling..
Afr guage?
Will tell you if it's to rich or lean when activated.

Zl1 with a screw blower should only run 100 percent meth..

Julio that builds these kits is a great guy with time to explain everything at any time.
He's located in Florida.

Google him for contact info if needed..

Hope this helps a little.

The tank is on driver's side against fender well. Is pump behind tank, meaning I'm gonna have to remove tank to get to pump?
No Afr gauge, is this critical?
So I shouldn't run 50/50 blend? I read a lot of different opinions.
More info on how to reach Julio, is that alcycontrol.com?
This motor was built in Fla.
Sorry for all the ?'s, I'm trying to learn a new game.
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
Hippy
Hotwheels

Drives: Hotwheels Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to Hippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
The tank is on driver's side against fender well. Is pump behind tank, meaning I'm gonna have to remove tank to get to pump?
No Afr gauge, is this critical?
So I shouldn't run 50/50 blend? I read a lot of different opinions.
More info on how to reach Julio, is that alcycontrol.com?
This motor was built in Fla.
Sorry for all the ?'s, I'm trying to learn a new game.
Thanks for the info!
Yep the pump is behind that tank so 2 screw should only have to be removed to slide it out for access..

Afr isn't the end all be all but you would be able to see air fuel reads to know what's going on.
Like if it's just added after four cooling or it's tuned for it..

Keep the system on.. Better safe than sorry..

Correct do not use 50/50

I don't remember the exact reasons off the top of my head why. Just my tuner( ted)
Explained it to me.
Julio did a well

Correct, Julio is the guy
He's a pleather of info..
alkycontrol.com
More info on his site in Florida as well.

Hope this helps.