Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
TulsaZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1
Ls9 cam question

I have a 2014 Zl1 and I am wanting to get some more power out of the car......

I drive it daily so I want a mild cam setup.....

My question is with the stock springs and retainers from my LSA would the LS9 cam swap right in, or is it imperative that I change out the springs and retainers?

My mods.....

2.38 upper pulley
100mm idler
Stock lower

ported TB, and Snout....
JBA cat delete

ligenfelter CAI

ID850 injectors
with NGK TR7ix plugs and stock plug wires

DSX flex fuel sensor
DSX auxiliary fuel pump

and tuned..... just on 91 have not done an e85 tune yet

car made 540rwhp

wanting to get close to 600 as possible before the E85 tune.....

is the LS9 cam a good swap or what do you recommend?

also what power did you see with your cam setup
TulsaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I think you can use the stock springs and retainers. However you will not get close to adding 60 hp... to get to your 600 goal with this cam.

Imo... get a stage 3 cam of your choice, change the springs and retainers and be done with it.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
If you’re going to drive it all the time don’t go crazy with the cam profile over a few horsepower. There are a lot of ways to squeeze power but if you’re going to swap cams consider the GT9 over the LS9. The LS9 isn’t going to be enough to do what you want going forward. Any custom cam grinder can get you the best solution based on wbt you have. Don’t bother with the LS9.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
TulsaZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
If you’re going to drive it all the time don’t go crazy with the cam profile over a few horsepower. There are a lot of ways to squeeze power but if you’re going to swap cams consider the GT9 over the LS9. The LS9 isn’t going to be enough to do what you want going forward. Any custom cam grinder can get you the best solution based on wbt you have. Don’t bother with the LS9.

I didn't even know ligenfelter made cams.
Ive got their intake and pulley so I'll for sure be looking into their cams.
Thanks a lot for the info man!!
TulsaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
The LS9 cam is a direct drop-in. You can easily get to 600 with the LS9 cam. I made 600+rwhp easily with the stock 4" pulley on the Whipple (8-9psi).

Granted, there is more power to be had with the GT9, but it's hard to argue with $100 drop-in cam that drives like stock, and pulls all the way to redline.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
I will second the GT9 cam. With supporting mods, I make north of 750 whp.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
I wouldn't use either. If you made me use one, it would be the LS9 cam. The GT9 cam has stupid high lift and very aggressive ramp rates. There's absolutely no reason to put that kind of stress on your valve train. Add a little duration and back off of the lift. Check with Tooley, Pat G, Cam Motion, or, for that matter, anyone who specs cams. You won't see anyone recommending those hyper aggressive/high lift LSK Comp Cams lobes that the GT9 cam uses.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
I wouldn't use either. If you made me use one, it would be the LS9 cam. The GT9 cam has stupid high lift and very aggressive ramp rates. There's absolutely no reason to put that kind of stress on your valve train. Add a little duration and back off of the lift. Check with Tooley, Pat G, Cam Motion, or, for that matter, anyone who specs cams. You won't see anyone recommending those hyper aggressive/high lift LSK Comp Cams lobes that the GT9 cam uses.
I've had mine for 6 years. I better pull it out before it does any damage.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I've had mine for 6 years. I better pull it out before it does any damage.
Yes, absolutely you should. You've been lucky so far
Old 12-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Yes, absolutely you should. You've been lucky so far
So ADM has been using bad cams for over 6 years.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
So ADM has been using bad cams for over 6 years.
Here's what Comp Cams ( the folks that manufactured these cams said about this lobe series) ..

The LSK Series has been designed with enhanced characteristics from our latest professional drag racing profiles. These have excellent ramp quickness. They are VERY hard on parts and not generally recommended in street applications!

They designed these cams and don't recommend them for the street.

There are a jillion other options available that aren't as hard on your valve train. If you're only going to put a few thousand miles on your rig and then sell it, don't worry about it. It will them be someone else's problem.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #12
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Hey Tulsa guy! I think you'll reach close to your goal with or without the LS9 cam. First before anything you need to sell those downpipes and throw on some good breathing longtubes of your choice. No smaller than 1 7/8". This will bridge that gap in HP you're seeking. Plus the LSA setups like to breathe. A retune with LT's will significantly bump you. Also when you were on the dyno was it in Tulsa? You may make sure with your tuner that you have enough injector running the 2.38 pulley with E85 even with DSX Aux pump.

Also, is your ported TB an LSA TB or did you switch to an LS3 Style and get that ported?

Hopefully i'll see you in "mexico" sometime and we can stretch their legs. :-)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
If you want some more power but on the mild side (<.600 lift) for dependability go with the Cammotion PD stage 1 - you will need new valve springs but can use beehives....

Grind # XA220/350-XA234/345-18+4
Mild Street Performance
Duration at .050: 220/234
118 Lobe Center Angle with a 114 Degree Intake Centerline
Lift with 1.7 Rocker Arm Ratio: .595"/.587"
Recommended Displacement: 5.3-6.2 Liter Engines
Recommended Compression Ratio: 8.5:1-10.0:1
Recommended Headers: 1 3/4" - 1 7/8"
Recommended Stall Converter: Stock - 3500 RPM
Recommended Rear Axle Ratio: Stock - 3.73

The PD 220/234 positive displacement supercharger LS camshaft is designed for street performance applications in vehicles using 5.3-6.2 liter LS engines equipped with positive-displacement style superchargers.

The PD 220/234 Supercharger Camshaft will have a slight performance idle and improved power throughout the RPM range with emphasis on mid-range power and torque. This camshaft can be used in a completely stock vehicle with just a valve spring and pushrod upgrade. Additional performance gains can be appreciated when used with headers, an increased stall speed torque converter, free flowing exhaust and intake systems.

Our Supercharger series cams are designed with our renowned smooth cam lobe design that provides quiet valve train operation and excellent upper rpm stability. Cam Motion offers this cam in 5150, 8660 and our top of the line 8620 camshaft cores. You can read more about our cam cores here > Cam Motion's cam cores

Recommended Accessories:
•Cam Motion .625: Lift Beehive Valve Springs or our .650" lift Dual Valve Spring Kit
•Cam Motion 5/16" .080" Wall Hardened Chromoly Pushrods

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #14
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
With 78K on a GT9 I had better get rid of mine too. It’s been putting a lot of stress on everyone else’s valvetrain for years hahahahahahhaa
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote