Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #1
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
German designed/sourced interior lighting in new camaro

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300144279.html

Interesting I suppose.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
it sounds cool, never been one for lights all over the place, I usually have my ABL in the doors turned off. but it sounds cool, im interested to see it in person.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Great, we now have a tacky hot tub to ride in lol. I like the ambient lights but hope it's not as over the top as it seems it could be.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
$100 LED package and controller being sold for $1,000 or more to sheep, excellent move GM, excellent move

We've replicated lighting packages at 10% of retail cost or less in our club with far superior quality. From dancing halo rings to disco trunks, including switchback packages for the Camaro RS. My absolute favorite lighting mod are the $20 authentic CREE DRL's that take less than 5 minutes to replace.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Is this different than what we already knew about the lighting...i don't get the issue here?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
$100 LED package and controller being sold for $1,000 or more to sheep, excellent move GM, excellent move

We've replicated lighting packages at 10% of retail cost or less in our club with far superior quality. From dancing halo rings to disco trunks, including switchback packages for the Camaro RS. My absolute favorite lighting mod are the $20 authentic CREE DRL's that take less than 5 minutes to replace.
Where do you come up with $1,000?
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbro View Post
Where do you come up with $1,000?
Over exaggerated, I read recently that ambient interior lighting was a GM option (albeit Dealer installed wth?) for $600. It's nothing more than a strip of LED's and a controller. The cost difference between single color and RGB is negligible and could even add foot wells, cup holder, overhead, trunk and still be under $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Is this different than what we already knew about the lighting...i don't get the issue here?
Perhaps GM's way of advertising higher quality, will be interesting to see in person. It was not showcased on any of the four 6-Gens at C-Fest.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I thought the 2SS lighting implementation looked pretty good.
I like the way they integrate it into the trim, I like the controller
built into the nav. I'm glad it's included in 2SS.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I think the interior lighting is a cool touch. Not a selling point or anything but hey, why not throw it in there for fun. Makes the cabin look like an alien spaceship disco.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Over exaggerated, I read recently that ambient interior lighting was a GM option (albeit Dealer installed wth?) for $600. It's nothing more than a strip of LED's and a controller. The cost difference between single color and RGB is negligible and could even add foot wells, cup holder, overhead, trunk and still be under $100.

Yeah, my '14 has the mood lighting LPO. Its meh.

Fortunately, on the '16, there is a lot more to it than that. Is it worth it?

But even calling the '14's LPO option "a strip of LEDs" is a gross oversimplification what's going on. I'm certain GM didn't go on ebay, buy a $60 strip of individually addressable adhesive LEDs, and start sticking it in places.

Each place where the LEDs are in use a secure mounting mechanism had to be designed, prototyped, and tested.

Wiring harnesses have to be planned to include support for the LEDs everywhere.

Don't forget about the cost of developing the electronics and software that runs it. Gotta have people to test that, too.

For the '16, we are also getting some modified and added trim pieces - pieces which also needed to be designed and cleanly mounted and then tested (and then maintained, should design change elsewhere requiring design changes here).

This means there's a fork in the supply chain somewhere, two different part numbers for the piece of trim, causing more logistic work.

So yeah, maybe if we take all those pieces, all the plastic bits, the metal bits, the LEDs, their circuit boards, the control unit, wiring, maybe the price is well over the cost in materials, but the total cost of the development and implementation may approach that figure.

Now don't get me wrong, its possible to spend a boatload of money and still end up with a crap feature, but the value of the feature can really only be determined by the consumer spending money on it.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
German designed/sourced interior lighting in new camaro
Also very misleading - as if this was done only in Germany. This was sourced from Hella - a global auto supplier.

From the article:
Quote:
The project was carried out in the international HELLA network. The US site in Plymouth, Michigan and the interior lighting competence center in Wembach, southern Germany were responsible for project management and development. Development of the electronics was supported by the site in Dera Bassi, India and mechanical development involved HELLA Automotive Mexico. The light guides and control unit are also being produced in Mexico. The interior lighting site in Bratislava, Slovakia is handling LED module production and calibration.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Also very misleading - as if this was done only in Germany. This was sourced from Hella - a global auto supplier.

From the article:
They really needed to only say designed/sourced by Hella. Everyone knows their quality.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
They really needed to only say designed/sourced by Hella. Everyone knows their quality.
Agreed.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
What's more, the driver can link the interior lighting to the driving mode and for example, enjoy a gentle blue interior in "cruise mode." In "track mode" the interior lights up a strong orange and in "sport mode" a racy red.
I know this is technically correct, but I always found this kind of weird. Red to me conveys more danger and should be for track mode use.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote