Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I'm an SS guy, and a guy whom GM pays to fix their broken $hit. I have repaired exactly 2 6.2L engines for dropped valves in Yukons in 2007-2008. I have repaired over a dozen 3.6L engines in various vehicles for timing chain related problems over my 11 years doing so, but hey I must just dislike V6s.

And what years were the 3.6's? Not everything is created equal. I made a generalization. just as the SS guys have . Saying the 3.6 is a bad engine isn't true. Maybe certain years yes.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #16
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I can agree with you on the clean and quality oil. The 3.6L is very picky when it comes to the cleanliness of the oil. I suspect a lot of the repairs I have done on the 3.6L is due to this concern. A good portion of failures is on the owner of the vehicle, but the engineers share a good portion of the blame too. They can build an incredible machine, but when it comes down to ownership they haven't calculated in to the equation that the vast majority of vehicle owners are crazy cheap and will be lucky to do the bare minimum maintenance. The 3.8L v6 from years ago for instance. I have seen failure of intake manifold gaskets that filled the cylinders with coolant to the point of hydrolocking the engine while running. The tech removed the spark plugs, cranked it over to remove the coolant, cleaned the plugs and reinstalled. The damned thing started up and ran just fine. That's a pretty extreme case, but my point is still that engines are almost run to the ragged edge of engineering right now. Improper maintenance and it's catastrophic to the engine. The 3.6L is a really neat engine in the regards to the engineering aspect and should run fine if the maintenance schedule is strictly applied to, that includes proper break in as well.

This forum really needs a like button. I agree with everything you said here. People come to forums to complain about issues a lot of time. And honestly I haven't seen a lot of timing chain issues in the LFX section . I saw a couple in the LLT section in the past so when peeps make generalizations I get a little irked (Only because I own one) LOL . For techs working on these engines I get it .
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #17
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
And what years were the 3.6's? Not everything is created equal. I made a generalization. just as the SS guys have . Saying the 3.6 is a bad engine isn't true. Maybe certain years yes.
The last one was a 15 Traverse.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #18
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i can see that everything mechanical has its weak point.have been changing my oil every 5,000 miles at the chevy dealer so its documented and theres no doubt as to which type of oil was used.im hoping for at least 200,000 miles without major problems.just bought new tires and paid for the lifetime alignment so i am committed for the next 20 years...never sell me a lifetime warranty or product as i will get my moneys worth.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote