Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #43
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
"The voting was a hit with John F., and you guys were wonderful in the thread. No long conversations, very few mistakes (really!), and an overall professional job on the thing. It made it SOooo much easier to collect. So again, thanks so much!!"

This was possible because of this great site, and all the people that make it happen, so I would like to thank Camaro5 for all that they do. And GM of course, for looking to us for feedback. Keep the inquiry's coming...we will not be short of opinions and feedback!

We should have put our ages in there as well. That might have been interesting to see any trends for age vs. color choice.
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #44
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
black camaros on the top spot sounds great. and just because they may produce more black cars because of this survey, doesnt mean that more people will buy them, imo. there is still the "i dont want to have to clean my black car regularly" thing going on...

my pick remains black

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #45
shanewittman
G8R H8R

Drives: 96 Camaro
I am shocked that the numbers were that close. I really thought it would be a bigger spread from black to white. Cool thing for me is white ended up last... I am now more certain that I want another white Camaro.
shanewittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #46
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Enthusiasts do not represent the majority of the target market. We are maybe 10% of the total projected Camaro sales? I doubt that our favorites will represent the total of all the customers. They should look at real sales figures and see where the colors fall if all you want is opinions. People vote with real money there.

GM has plenty of bean counters that can show the cost savings from building all the cars the same. They will never learn. When all we have is black cars with gray interiors to choose from you can bet it won't be long till they stop making Camaros again.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #47
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Now Chevy's feeling rather good about giving us SS owners IBM... That's right!!!

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Who says their making any decisions from this data alone? Please don't assume things and post such negative accusations. They are WELL aware that we cannot carry this car to success by ourselves. But that doesn't mean we should be ignored. They wanted to know what we thought -- so we gladly obliged. It's a rarity for an enthusiast group to be taken so seriously by a corporation as we have been. We should count ourselves lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Enthusiasts do not represent the majority of the target market. We are maybe 10% of the total projected Camaro sales? I doubt that our favorites will represent the total of all the customers. They should look at real sales figures and see where the colors fall if all you want is opinions. People vote with real money there.

GM has plenty of bean counters that can show the cost savings from building all the cars the same. They will never learn. When all we have is black cars with gray interiors to choose from you can bet it won't be long till they stop making Camaros again.

-Mark.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #49
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSforme View Post
oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE AX RJT for next year GM.

It would only make mine all that rarer.
If RJT gets axed before the convertibles make into production, I'm going to be very upset. Seriously upset.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #50
lupo271

Drives: 2010 sim/rs camaro
imperial blue metallic with inferno orange interior leather thats what i'm saying
lupo271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #51
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Get what you want, not because others are/aren't getting it. In a few years Camaro's will be everywhere and in every color.
What I want is a car that doesn't look like every other Camaro on the road... hence the black wheels and flat black stripes. It's disconcerting, but I really can't imagine myself getting any other color so I'll just have o do my best to differentiate without going ricer.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #52
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Who says their making any decisions from this data alone? Please don't assume things and post such negative accusations. They are WELL aware that we cannot carry this car to success by ourselves. But that doesn't mean we should be ignored. They wanted to know what we thought -- so we gladly obliged. It's a rarity for an enthusiast group to be taken so seriously by a corporation as we have been. We should count ourselves lucky!
I don't realy know what they will do with this data. Negative? - Maybe. They already did that to the Camaro once. That is a fact. How many interior colors did the last previous gen Camaro have? (the answer is 2 - black and gray) The accountants make a LOT of the calls at GM. I am not making that up either. Business is business.

I am very pleased they asked for our opinion. Glad we have a car to buy. They will be getting a big pile of money from me soon so that should help smooth things over. We can forget all about the past if the car is as good as it apprears to be.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #53
SAE05
inconspicuous observer

Drives: 05 GTO
Since white was last here what does that say about us.

Consumers Pick White As Most Popular Car Color... Again
By Matt Hardigree, Tue Dec 9 2008

North American car buyers again chose white as the most popular new car color for 2008, besting silver for the second year in a row in DuPont's study of color popularity with 20% of car purchases. Is this mere color preference or pointing to a deeper trend?

DuPont essentially says this is a "palette cleansing color signaling a pause after a long running trend and in advance of a new color trend." We're not so sure we believe that as much as we believe Dupont's secondary explaination for the choice — the customization options available to the color white. The luxury color white pearl made up only 4% of the total market while regular white scored 16% of the market. What cars are standard white? The cheapest.

Go to any car dealership and in addition to the premium trim levels you'll typically find a row of white base models. Go to a Ford dealership and, in the back, will likely be a dozen white F-150s with plastic bumpers and V6 engines. The perfect cheap vehicles for customizing in the Carpocalypse.

Following white are the colors silver and black, each garnering 17% of the market. In Europe, black remains the most popular color by a large margin while silver remains popular in Asia. Full details in the press release below.

White Is Most Popular Color – Again – in 56th DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Report
"Conservative Differentiation" Among Consumers May Be Sign of the Times

WILMINGTON, Del., Dec. 9, 2008 – The 2008 DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Report says white is the top vehicle color choice in North America for the second straight year, and is a strong player globally, with "white effects" allowing consumers to differentiate cars subtly to express their individuality. Black and silver with effects also turned in a strong performance globally. The term "effects" refers to special pigments that lend a pearl or iridescent appearance to coatings.

White and white pearl scored 16 and 4 percent, respectively, black and black effect scored 11 percent and 6 percent, while silver, which led the pack for six consecutive years, garnered a 17 percent share of the North American market.

A leading supplier of coatings to the global automotive market both for new cars and in the collision repair industry, DuPont this year broadened the global scope of the authoritative Automotive Color Popularity Report to include specific data from emerging markets India and Russia. The automotive industry is expanding rapidly in both countries.

North American color choice highlights several trends. First, there is a continuing convergence of color choice globally with color preferences becoming more homogeneous across the globe. Additionally, DuPont continues to report white as a "palette cleansing" color signaling a pause after a long running trend and in advance of a new trend. The 2007 DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Report announced the end of silver's seven year reign.

"We're seeing basic colors like black, white and silver continuing in the lead but consumers are looking for differentiation with tri-coat and other effects," said Karen Surcina, color marketing manager — DuPont Performance Coatings. "These colors and effects provide a higher degree of customization and luxury-effect which allow consumers a conservative differentiation from the traditional color palette." A tri-coat paint system consists of a basecoat, a midlayer which contains the color and specialized "effect" pigments followed by a clear coat.

"While black, white and silver continue to remain strong, we are seeing interesting trends developing," Surcina continued. "The popularity of true chromatic colors such as blue and red are on the rise, with blue growing worldwide as consumers look to more environmental themes and lifestyles."

"Blue is being utilized as the "new green" because it is well understood by people all over the world that blue can also represent the preservation of nature," said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute and author of Color: Messages and Meanings. "Imagine a clear blue sky mirrored in a pristine blue lake and you will get the picture. It is a universal favorite."

Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #54
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Its says we are smarter than the average bear.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #55
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
Interesting article, I was just gonna say they'll never get rid of white or yellow even though they ranked lowest on THIS site.

What I'm still hoping for is a dark green color at some point. I'd be all over that.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #56
Amelia98
Honorary Female Member =)

Drives: Camaro and a PT Cruiser
I am bummed that Yellow came in second to last. That is the color I ordered. My brother equates my new Camaro to Mr T's gold chain. All I can say I pity the fool. )

Amelia
Baltimore
Amelia98 is offline   Reply With Quote