Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
take your new ZL1 to Callaway....or just buy Callaway emblems
Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
WS580
wseditions

Drives: 12callaway14Siliverado14RXFsport
Thats a good ?...Did callaway put drag tires on to get the times.....but from what I hear on the dyno#s the callaway makes 590,95 at the motor...But def the ZL1 would kill the callaway on the road course.
WS580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
ZL1 FTW!

Callaway is a waste of money
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
While the Calloway is a nice car, for about the same money depending on stealer markup over msrp on the ZL! you are money ahead on the Zl1. And if you can get it at MSRP WOW. Calloway and the rest will have to step up their game. I too was looking a a Callaway in Colorado and decided to take my chances finding a ZL1.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The tuner cars will definitely have to change their game plan with the zl1. They can definitely outpower it, but with the MRS they won't be able to touch the zl1 in handling. In addition, the zl1 will also be cheaper than most of the aftermarket 5th gens.

I had a great liking for the slp tuner cars, but unless I miss an opportunity for a chevy zl1 then I can't think of anything that would make me pick something else over it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Go ZL1.

Personally I've never been much for the add-on tuner cars. A bunch of extra money for mods you could easily do yourself. The styling always is negative as well it seems.

The need for these types of cars has literelly been laid to waste by the new factory supercars such as ZL1 and Shelby.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
ZL1 = certified.

I saw another post on here from someone discussing how the "tuners" don't test their redesigns with the same testing the factory does.

The factory tests the entire certification for hours on end in extreme hot & cold conditions. which means reliability tested through a lot more heating/cooling expansion/contraction cycles, rpm ranges for hours.

IMHO
While I am certain that "tuners" do not test their builds beyond a drag strip or drive around the block after completion, Callaway has exhaustively tested what we build

Over the past 4 years, we have over 300,000 R&D / Test / Development miles and hundreds of dyno hours logged on our LS-series supercharged vehicles. NOBODY ELSE COMES CLOSE!!!

Maybe that is why Edmunds and others have said our vehicles are superior to other offerings
Here's the story:

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...and-video.html

And possibly the best part, from the Second Opinion section:

Quote:
Chief Road Test Editor Chris Walton says:
The 2010 Callaway Cars SC572 Camaro SS L99 is about as good as a street-able, supercharged Camaro SS can be. Yeah, it's fast, its brakes are bulletproof and the parts installation is utterly sanitary, but there's more to it than that.

I can say this because we've tested a large number of both stock and modified Camaros in the course of the past couple years. At the time, I even thought the SLP ZL575 was as good as anybody would ever build given a crate full of well-engineered parts and a few hours to bolt them on. But maybe I was premature with that assessment.

What makes the Callaway different is not that it consistently runs to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds, nor that it runs 12s in the quarter-mile or stops (repeatedly) from 60 mph in less than 110 feet. Instead, I'm more impressed that Callaway has managed to extract 552 horsepower from a V8 that digests 91-octane fuel without inducing a single combustion knock or ping. Just as Callaway's motto says, this is "Powerful Engineering."

And there's more. As we like to say, "Understeer will scare an enthusiastic driver in a corner before he runs out of talent or tarmac — whichever comes first." And by now, it's pretty evident that the stock Camaro SS has a generous amount of understeer built into the suspension geometry and tuning in order to restrain the enthusiasm of the car's owners. Yet Pete Callaway has managed to tune the suspension so it enables the Camaro's cornering attitude to be altered with subtle manipulation of the throttle and still acknowledge midcorner bumps without batting a sun visor.

Callaway has engineered a suspension package that does something other than lower the ride height and ruin the ride comfort in an effort to achieve a big number on the skid pad. Instead it has spent the time and money to develop a combination of pieces that adds drivability without sacrificing ride comfort. It's not a secret that springs and dampers should be developed in concert. After all, they're in a constant conversation with one another, so they ought to speak the same language.

This is what makes the difference between the Callaway Camaro SC572 and those other efforts that go only eight- or nine-tenths of the way to creating a completely engineered automobile. Callaway has a reputation for sussing out the details that others miss, or even choose not to address at all.

We hope you select Callaway for your Camaro - you'll be impressed
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #22
Callaway Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
All their times they post are run with drag radials or slicks. I asked in a thread about Callaways on the Corvette Forum what the cars run with the tires you actually get on the car. The guy from Callaway said a magazine was running a test as we spoke as to what the car would run as delivered but I never saw the results.

Rest assured the Callaway Camaro will not run the times they post with the tires that come on the car.
Actually, it DID.

As an interesting note, one of our customers (a fella from Indiana) said he took his SC606 Grand Sport to the track and runs 11.0 times, regularly. This is on the factory tires. His car is an automatic convertible, according to our records.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I can personally vouch for the Callaway testing. I have been to several track days in New England where the Callaway team has some kind of prototype they are testing. They are very nice and don't mind us weekend hacks to bother them with a lot of stupid questions and drooling. They are great folks.

Now, as far as $$$$, like SLP stuff that I love so much, I just can't afford it.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
doc212121

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White/White
ZL1
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
WS580
wseditions

Callaway Chris Thanks for the info u guys build a sweet car...Is there any other tuning that could be done on the SC572 AND still keep the warranty...can u guys make a package that is priced close to the ZL1..?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
Callaway Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS580 View Post
Callaway Chris Thanks for the info u guys build a sweet car...Is there any other tuning that could be done on the SC572 AND still keep the warranty...can u guys make a package that is priced close to the ZL1..?
You are welcome!

At the present time, our SC572 package is not offered with any addl. tuning to keep the powertrain warranty in effect, sorry. But trust me, it's seriously fast, and with perfect drivability, too!

Re: the new ZL1, it is an amazing car and a great price point! That said, we continue to sell our SC572 Callaway Camaros to those seeking style, power, and exclusivity, bundled into a package and backed with our peerless powertrain warranty - out support is second to none!

I look forward to your impressions after driving one of our Powerfully Engineered Camaros

More @ www.callawaycars.com
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
My vote is for the Callaway. Although I do really like the ZL1 there is just something about the Callaway. BTW the orange one pictured is currently for sale on here!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
WS580
wseditions

Thats 1vote for Callaway......Callaway Chris Ive driven the Vette 606 & Camaro 572 the vette is crazy...the camaro is fast also but my point is that after a year or two u want to hav option to up grade the car with mor HP cuz as u see the cars keep getting mor and more Hp...just a tho may be a 650hp camaro hint hint..lol...Thanks for all ur info

Last edited by WS580; 02-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.