Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Engine cover painting tips?

So today I painted the engine cover to my car Blue and silver, and once I took off the tape it looked terrible! The actual paint color was great but once the tape came off chunks of the paint came off as well, and I spent like an hour taping up everything, and it still came out all sloppy. I have seen people on here who have painted their own engine covers and it looks awesome, but mine just didn't turn out like I hoped, so I am gonna re do it this weekend. does anyone have any tips or advice on how I can get it done the cleanest/most professional look possible?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Aubrey64

Also when I re do it, do I need to get off all the paint before I re paint it?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I would say try light sanding instead of taking it all off. Sand and blend in where it was ripped off, of course I dont know how bad it was.But be carefull, you know how the surface is textured? If smooth to much in the bad areas may have to sand it all, but people do that to get the smooth look.Me, I wasnt going that crazy with it.If that doesnt work well enough you can take it off, but I never tried that. We all get a bit of paint that lifts off, mine was at the edges so I masked the good areas and re shot it, or in small areas use a paint brush.Main thing here is to let one color dry complaetely, overnight anyway, then mask off to do the other. My paint process was as follows:

2-4 coats of adhesion promoter for plastic
4-6 coats main color
3-4 coats of clear

All paints were from Duplicolor
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Aubrey64

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
I would say try light sanding instead of taking it all off. Sand and blend in where it was ripped off, of course I dont know how bad it was.But be carefull, you know how the surface is textured? If smooth to much in the bad areas may have to sand it all, but people do that to get the smooth look.Me, I wasnt going that crazy with it.If that doesnt work well enough you can take it off, but I never tried that. We all get a bit of paint that lifts off, mine was at the edges so I masked the good areas and re shot it, or in small areas use a paint brush.Main thing here is to let one color dry complaetely, overnight anyway, then mask off to do the other. My paint process was as follows:

2-4 coats of adhesion promoter for plastic
4-6 coats main color
3-4 coats of clear

All paints were from Duplicolor
Thanks for the help! I will probably just redo it all because what isn't peeled off, just looks pretty sloppy. I should have trusted my own judgement, because I knew that I needed to prep with sanding and adhesive promoter but the guy at Auto Zone insisted that that step was unnecessary so I listened to him...Which was definitely the wrong decision, I should've trusted my own judgement, because my lack of proper prep work was probably what screwed me over
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Don't worry,mine looks like crap too because I used cheap aerosol paint.The can said it was specifically for plastic and the same brand clear made it worse.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I got bubbles in mine and had to redo. What I have found is use several light coats and let dry between. On the last coat before you use clear, pull tape off slowly before the paint is completely dry.
I'm not a professional be any means but it work for me.
hope this helps. Good luck!
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, diy painted engine cover, diy painting, engine cover