Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #43
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
For the cost, the Purex is great, and works as good as more expensive free & clear soaps. Only thing I've found the microfiber specific soaps to do better is remove waxes & sealants from them.

I used Dawn on my 2 year old MM Dry Me Crazy, when it would no longer absorb water.

I tried everything I could, vinegar, baking soda, boiling, to no avail. Dawn brought it back to where it could absorb again.

The thing with Dawn in the washer is not too use too much, it makes a ton of bubbles, so just a little is all that is needed. Ask me how I learned this!

Distilled white vinegar is also great for softening your towels, just a little in the rinse cycle every 10 washes or so will keep your nice Korean towels soft.
How much Dawn is too much? I don't want to find out the hard way.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #44
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
How much Dawn is too much? I don't want to find out the hard way.
Just a small squirt.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #45
Thawilster

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 Vert
I've been using Chemical Guys microfiber wash...good stuff!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #46
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Good. Start your own thread on it and stop trolling in mine. You haven't added 1 post here that has any benefit to anyone.

If you only wash your car 3-4 times a year, why would you need to buy towels in bulk? Completely ridiculous.

Frankly I don't care what towels you throw away, JUST GO AWAY!

blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #47
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Pssh wash, who has time for that, I don't bother to wash my clothes either, wear it once and in the trash it goes.

Good post Joe will try the free and clear out
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #48
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
I have a Microfiber Madness - Dry Me Crazy XL
That is one BIG towel. It real gets heavy when it gets wet.
Future reference...I would suggest getting two regular sized DMC (easier to handle)

I like your results in this post. I'm gonna give it a try on my regular size stained DMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
For those that live in the South, Publix Super Markets has Purex Buy One, Get One Free this week. I stocked up.
Thanks, I just bought two Purex on BOGO.

I have many MF towels that I've washed and with "special" fairly expensive mf soap.
They still have stains in them. I'm hoping for the same "new looking" results you obtained.

Off Topic:
Yes, I too know a very good detailer that only uses his mf towels once.
I know another that washes his MF towels before use then only uses them once.
To each their own. Do what makes you comfortable and happy.
Some towels I've used once and they get a stain. If I could get 'em to look new I'd reuse 'em.
If the stain doesn't come out I'm put in a position of only using them on door jambs & wheels.

On the other hand I had the privilege of participating in the Detailer's Cup Competition.

This was at DetailFest 2016. There were 6 vehicles. (3 million dollars worth of cars) and we were supplied mf towels.
After the final wipe down they took a laundry cart around, gathered the towels and went direct to the washing machine.

Quality microfiber towels are expensive. If I can wash them and get them to look "brand new" I would be a very happy person.
I purchased Purex Free & Clear and Purex plus Clorox2 safe for colors. A lot of my towels are orange. Is Purex+ ok? Please advise.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #49
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I too, have used several of the more expensive microfiber soaps, the only benefit I've found from them is they remove waxes and sealants better then a standard free & clear soap.

After trying several of the more expensive free & clear soaps, I found Purex to clean as good or even better than the more expensive alternatives, for towels/wash mitts used for two bucket, rinseless, waterless, detail sprays, and drying.

I haven't used the Purex with Clorox 2, as I have been told bleach is bad for microfiber, that it will ruin it, so I've never used it or any product that contains it.

Occasionally I get a stain that doesn't come out after washing. The important thing to do is not to put this towel in the dryer. Even at low heat you will set the stain in making it more difficult, if not impossible to remove.

This home-made solution works well for difficult stains.

As far as throwing away towels after only one use, I don't own any towels that are cheap enough for me to justify doing that.

The one's that are cheap enough, the low GSM Chinese junk, I wouldn't use on my paint, or a customers car anyway.

Even the lower priced towels I have, like the RC eagle edgeless blue's I got during a sale, for $3 each, are far too good of a towel to use once and throw away.

If someone is using high quality Korean towels and throwing them away after only one use, I'd like to get in touch with them. I'd pay for shipping, then I could re-sell them after washing, and donate the money to charity.

I couldn't see anyone spending what Microfiber Madness charges, and throwing them away after one use.

That's just a complete waste of money in my IMO.

If someone wants to do that, well, it's their money.

If someone has money to throw away, they could use it to help someone vs. doing something completely ignorant with it.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-01-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote