Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
krimzonwolf

Drives: 1978 Camaro LT, 1973 Camaro Base.
Timing Chain Issues V6?

Has anyone experienced a timing chain issue with a 2012 V6 Camaro? I'm looking at purchasing one, and would like to know if this is a common problem, or just a mishap on a few vehicles that were pushed too hard?
krimzonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Common problem on all the 3.6l
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
KROLIS

Drives: 2017 2LT/RS & 2013 2LT/RS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister10 View Post
Common problem on all the 3.6l
On all 3.6?
KROLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
No issues with mine. I think it was more of an issue with the LLT 2009-11.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I've seen issues with all 3.6L variations.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
Greencamaro1234

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Well,to give a fact..I have a 2011 LS,and not sure when others have had this happen,but I have 115,000. on mine with never an issue with the engine at all,other than a battery.
Greencamaro1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I love that fact that it's the SS guys coming into this thread and saying it's all V6's when they have their own issues with Dropping valves . And that seems to be more common than V6's with timing chain issues.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I love that fact that it's the SS guys coming into this thread and saying it's all V6's when they have their own issues with Dropping valves . And that seems to be more common than V6's with timing chain issues.
I'm an SS guy, and a guy whom GM pays to fix their broken $hit. I have repaired exactly 2 6.2L engines for dropped valves in Yukons in 2007-2008. I have repaired over a dozen 3.6L engines in various vehicles for timing chain related problems over my 11 years doing so, but hey I must just dislike V6s.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i guess over a dozen in all types of vehicles in 11 years cant be considered an epidemic.for every busted one,probably 100 have worn out other parts or been destroyed in wrecks.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i guess over a dozen in all types of vehicles in 11 years cant be considered an epidemic.for every busted one,probably 100 have worn out other parts or been destroyed in wrecks.
I am not saying it's an epidemic, but I am not the only technician who's repairing them. Only GM can answer how many of them go under during warranty period, and we can only guess how many go outside of warranty. In my line of work you inevitably will see the same repair on multiple vehicles. It makes it easier to spot patterns with one system after you've repaired the same thing multiple times on different vehicles. I wanted an auto SS, but I wasn't going to buy one with an L99 because I have repaired quite a few cams in other AFM engines. Every vehicle will have it's issues, I am just lucky enough to be on the front lines of the failures and am able to make a purchase decision based on what I believe it too much risk.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Not bashing on v6 guys, I have no problem with v6 guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I am not saying it's an epidemic, but I am not the only technician who's repairing them. Only GM can answer how many of them go under during warranty period, and we can only guess how many go outside of warranty. In my line of work you inevitably will see the same repair on multiple vehicles. It makes it easier to spot patterns with one system after you've repaired the same thing multiple times on different vehicles. I wanted an auto SS, but I wasn't going to buy one with an L99 because I have repaired quite a few cams in other AFM engines. Every vehicle will have it's issues, I am just lucky enough to be on the front lines of the failures and am able to make a purchase decision based on what I believe it too much risk.
My experience with the 3.6l isn’t even in a Camaro. My wife has an 08 CADILLAC CT’s with the 3.6l DI AND WITH 112k miles, it is giving an engine light with the code for timing chain stretch, recommended replacement.
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Supposedly the issue was fixed when the LFX rolled out in '12.

The 3.6 is one engine you do not want run dirty oil or low on oil. Kick me if you want but mines always a quarter quart high for a reason. And from everything I know full synthetic has a high cleaning quality to keep the crud out of those tiny oil passages feeding the chain. Gotta wonder if most of those chain issues were from cheap and lazy owners driving high miles between changes with the non synthetic oil.

Non car folks do retarded things.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #13
JerTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Supposedly the issue was fixed when the LFX rolled out in '12.

The 3.6 is one engine you do not want run dirty oil or low on oil. Kick me if you want but mines always a quarter quart high for a reason. And from everything I know full synthetic has a high cleaning quality to keep the crud out of those tiny oil passages feeding the chain. Gotta wonder if most of those chain issues were from cheap and lazy owners driving high miles between changes with the non synthetic oil.

Non car folks do retarded things.
I can agree with you on the clean and quality oil. The 3.6L is very picky when it comes to the cleanliness of the oil. I suspect a lot of the repairs I have done on the 3.6L is due to this concern. A good portion of failures is on the owner of the vehicle, but the engineers share a good portion of the blame too. They can build an incredible machine, but when it comes down to ownership they haven't calculated in to the equation that the vast majority of vehicle owners are crazy cheap and will be lucky to do the bare minimum maintenance. The 3.8L v6 from years ago for instance. I have seen failure of intake manifold gaskets that filled the cylinders with coolant to the point of hydrolocking the engine while running. The tech removed the spark plugs, cranked it over to remove the coolant, cleaned the plugs and reinstalled. The damned thing started up and ran just fine. That's a pretty extreme case, but my point is still that engines are almost run to the ragged edge of engineering right now. Improper maintenance and it's catastrophic to the engine. The 3.6L is a really neat engine in the regards to the engineering aspect and should run fine if the maintenance schedule is strictly applied to, that includes proper break in as well.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
The 3.8L v6 from years ago for instance. I have seen failure of intake manifold gaskets that filled the cylinders with coolant to the point of hydrolocking the engine while running.
Oh yeah.

I had a 3.8 and i had to pull the intake and replace those, otherwise it was a great little engine. And it was one of the few GM engines i've had that didn't start marking its territory with oil once the warranty was over.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote