Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
I'd go with my personal transmission builder. he does a few "extra" machining things that other places dont.

and how cost effective are we talking? the overdrive units that I have seen will run you $1500 or more add that to the $1000.00 you are spending on a built th350 (and I mean BUILT) and you would be spending the same amount that I would on a 4 speed with a stall converter.

maybe I just have not seen any cheap overdrive units.

but I can build either for cheap and be strong for $xxx.xx or I could build the living crap out of either for $XXXX.XX

it comes down to the little things. 3 speeds are generally cheaper to build than 4 speeds. but built in overdrive is nice.

and dog tooth cut gears with a powerglide
I thought Gear Vendors had some cheaper units, but I guess you were right.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I can see how he means a 350 tranny now. It wasn't clear in the first post, and I've gotten used to trying to interpret alternate meanings to otherwise indecipherable posts.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I can see how he means a 350 tranny now. It wasn't clear in the first post, and I've gotten used to trying to interpret alternate meanings to otherwise indecipherable posts.
you should do some research before you question my posts...lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
you should do some research before you question my posts...lol
I also wanted to post the 572.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I also wanted to post the 572.
572 is overrated for what it is. dont get me wrong, it is a great motor, but I wouldnt pay over 7k for it.

now the LSX 454 stroker..... that would be something to drop into a 3rd gen. in fact after we finish a few things on the LS1 swap, we are looking to drop a 454 into the 86.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #20
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
572 is overrated for what it is. dont get me wrong, it is a great motor, but I wouldnt pay over 7k for it.

now the LSX 454 stroker..... that would be something to drop into a 3rd gen. in fact after we finish a few things on the LS1 swap, we are looking to drop a 454 into the 86.
Mmmmm.....big block stroker....

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
Quote:
screw the T-5, they are weak pieces of trash. T-56 if you go manual, TH350 or 700R4 if you go auto
The 700R4's are weak. I almost trashed one with my 3.1L.
It was a stupid thing that i did, but if a 3.1 could damage it, a 350 could murder it.

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #22
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-phoenix View Post
It was a stupid thing that i did, but if a 3.1 could damage it, a 350 could murder it.
Unless it was in terrible shape to begin with, or already had a mechanical failure, I find this hard to believe.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #23
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
eventually i want to stick a 5.0 or 5.7 in my '86 berlinetta, but they are so damn expensive that it will be a while before that happens
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #24
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
Quote:
Unless it was in terrible shape to begin with, or already had a mechanical failure, I find this hard to believe.
maybe if i clarified, i dropped the car from neutral to drive with the engine turning at like 4300 rpm, (I told you it was stupid) and after that the car wouldnt back up for over a week.

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #25
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
700R4's are not weak lol. There are millions of them on trucks, suv's, vettes etc. You can get them with performance builds like the Raptor series
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
eventually i want to stick a 5.0 or 5.7 in my '86 berlinetta, but they are so damn expensive that it will be a while before that happens
The 5.7L 350ci SBC is the best bargain for small block V8 performance in history. Look up what something comparable would cost. You can build a 400+ horsepower 350 for dirt cheap.

Quote:
maybe if i clarified, i dropped the car from neutral to drive with the engine turning at like 4300 rpm, (I told you it was stupid) and after that the car wouldnt back up for over a week.
Even so, this doesn't mean that the 700R4 is weak.

Kurt Vonnegut
Old 01-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Mmmmm.....big block stroker....
small block stroker.

Quote:
well, not necessarily....

see your own post. lol
Quote:
that would blow just about all but the strongest trannies. I did a reverse to neutral to 1st slam in my old 78 camaro and the whole damn thing exploded. so I swapped in a 3 spd manual out of my grandpa's old pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post

how much money do you plan to spend on a full engine build? take that figure and double it to be on the safe side. you could go out and do a turn key motor (but most times they are lacking in power) but you could also spend the time to price various components and ensure they complement each other and build it yourself. you can get a balanced Eagle rotating assy for around $600.00 find you a used block, buy some 4-bolt splayed end caps, and take the rotating assy, caps and block to a machine shop and have them line hone everything and bore it out to a 355. find some good heads and have them ported or leave them stock and a good intake manifold and carb and throw it all together.

go check out some of the muscle car mags on the rack. nearly every other month they have a "budget build" where they make nearly 400 hp only spending about $2-3k.

in fact, I think I have some at the house. I'll dig around for them tomorrow.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #28
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
yea, wel rite now i got a 2.8 v6 in it, and its fine, but i need to be able to beat my friends '91 mustang, and thts a 5.0 v8, and its stock, so as long as its better than that, im not going to be all tht picky
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote