Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I fixed this problem by trading in my 2010 Camaro for a 2011 SS with the revised strut towers. Been over every road surface that used to make my 2010 sound like it was falling apart and not a single issue with the 2011. GM wouldn't have redesigned the strut towers if there wasn't a problem with the initial design used in the 2010.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
I have the same opinion as you,but according to GM there is no problem,they say get over it suckers there is no fix ,we got your money and it's too bad we suckered you in .
Always an option to trade it in....
Mustangs have had the same issue for years
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I fixed this problem by trading in my 2010 Camaro for a 2011 SS with the revised strut towers. Been over every road surface that used to make my 2010 sound like it was falling apart and not a single issue with the 2011. GM wouldn't have redesigned the strut towers if there wasn't a problem with the initial design used in the 2010.
I am glad the noise is gone, but the mount is the same 2010 to 2012.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Always an option to trade it in....
Mustangs have had the same issue for years
There is a 'loose lumber' TSB for the Mustang and the Mustang has a bolt in strut mount.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am glad the noise is gone, but the mount is the same 2010 to 2012.
I said strut tower, not mount.

So, you are saying these are the same?

2010 to mid-2011:

Mid-2011+:
Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
I said strut tower, not mount.

So, you are saying these are the same?

2010 to mid-2011:

Mid-2011+:
The fender structure you see under the hood is clearly different in the model years. The actual mount, the strut mount bearing plate on top of the strut that fits into the body mount is the same year to year. It has not changed in mounting style or function from 2010. What I am saying if that if it were the strut mount cuasing the noise there is no reason to expect any change.

The reason for the changes in the towers revolved around the development of the Vert. The Vert introduced the strut tower bar, the under chassis braces and revised sub-frame bushes. The strut assembly has not changed It still uses a reataining plate to keep it in the car when lifted or airborne. The strut reatining plate still articulates. The strut retaining plate rubber still leaves a 'wear' mark underneath it.

Short answer -- yes the mount is unchanged
Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
With this change on the 2011 models , can it be done to the 2010 models to correct this thumping noises over speed bumps/rough roads etc. If so why isn't GM accepting the fact that an poor engineering design/flaw is a problem and fix our cars before the warranty expires.Also if their wasn't a problem in the first place, why have they come out with a change to the 2011 models, it doesn't take a Rocket scientist to figure this one out
I can't speak for GM and won't. I can an all too often do offer my opinion on a variety of C5 topics

I personally have done between 50 to 60 ZETA suspensions over the last four years. More than a few were making front end noises when I became involved. Aside from the strut hydraulic whoosh, they have all been resolved. I am not aware of any design flaw and don't feel there is one. That doesn't make me right. A bad bush here, a ball joint there, failed endlink, loose CA, ball stud, endlink, RA nut, sway bar strap nut do not combine to define a design flaw. I have yet to see a failed Camaro strut / mount bearing plate, though I have seen quite a few in the G8. That is why the mount was redesigned for the Camaro. The G8 mount was a carry over from the Holden Monaro and long over due for an update.

By now you know I call it like I see it. I don't believe the redesign of the towers has anything to do with the noises that have been reported in this thread and others. Once again, that does not make me right. It is just what I have seen first hand and my Dealers report to me.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Just did a scan back through the main suspension noise thread...and noticed that nearly everyone complaining about these sounds had a 2010 or early 2011 model. Finding it odd that this issue has died down for the most part and no one with a late 2011 or 2012 model is complaining of suspension noise.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #23
JusticePete

Quote:
Just did a scan back through the main suspension noise thread...and noticed that nearly everyone complaining about these sounds had a 2010 or early 2011 model. Finding it odd that this issue has died down for the most part and no one with a late 2011 or 2012 model is complaining of suspension noise.
As noted in my posts there was a running change made to the upper insulator -- Flat rubber ring to steel with urethane.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete

Rolnslo indicated that he got rid of is 2010 and bought the 2011 model and have no issues with the thumping noise anymore.
When I had mind to the dealer he compared my 2010 with a 2011 on the lot and said the same issues were on the 2011 models.
So are you saying the strut tower revision really didn't do anything to correct this problem,if so why would GM have changed the design.
Thanks for all your input,I don't want to trade it and take a big lost in the purchase of another 2011 and end up with the same issues.
Other than this annoying noise the car is fine.
IMO, speaking only for myself, GM redesigned the towers to compensate for loss of strength when the roof is removed on the convertible. It is the same reason they added a strut tower bar and the cross bracing underneath. They all compensate for open air motoring. The constant between the front ends in regards to noise is the strut assembly Strut, coil, insulator, washer, upper spring perch / bearing plate, washer and nut. Once in the car a retaining plate and nut are added. Upper insulator aside, the design is not changed.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #25
JusticePete

I do know that the Camaro strut mount is designed with a bias toward performance and durability at the expense, to a degree, in Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH). Given the performance numbers we achieve in our Pedderised Camaros and the Ring time of the ZL1 they gave done very good job. None of that addresses the pain in the but noise some experience. My frustration is I really believe our process works from replacing the upper insulator to making sure everything is tight.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete

Are you saying that replacing this upper insulator could actually get rid of my annoying thumping noise.
Will GM replace this in a TSB issue, if I requested it or will they again say there is nothing wrong with it.The strut assembly would have to be removed to replace this insulator.is this correct?

Thanks for all the support
I have not been able to locate a TSB on the black flat rubber ring replacement with the new steel and urethane insulator. That said, I have personally worked with three different Chevrolet New Car Dealers to resolve front end noise by doing exactly that. It worked.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks Pete

I am in the process of storing my car for the winter,I defiantly will try and have those replaced, in the spring.You did not say whether the strut assembly had to be removed or not in order to replace them.Also would you please post the part number for those upgraded upper insulators.

Cheers
Again thanks for all the advise and help in trying to solve this problem.
The strut does have to be removed to install the new insulator. The way I found out about the upgrade is we ordered a couple of mounts from GM to have on hand for R & D. When they arrived they had the steel and urethane insulator. We double and triple checked with GM and found the new style had superseded the old style. You can't buy the old style rubber insulator from GM. I am at SEMA and have asked the guys at the office to dig up the part number.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #28
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
The pop/thump sounds may have something to do with the gap between the top strut retainer and the strut tower. My experience was, when I jacked the front up I would sometimes hear a mysterious thump or two. Couldn't find anything loose but I noticed that the gap between the strut tower and retainer was not there with the front jacked up. Trying to find out if this gap was normal, I ran into this thread...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=toilet+mod
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote