Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #43
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
.Just my opinion but the LMR looks like a baby elephant trunk to me....
Old 01-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #44
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
I agree, looks are a big part of the purchase when dealing with such small HP gains...Just my opinion but the LMR looks like a baby elephant trunk to me.
I agree, but the CAI looks like a reject 1930s spaceship. Yuck!

Mav
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #45
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Few thoughts to think about

1. Of course any CAI is illegal to EPA ( filter is a smog device) and GM warranty
2. GM rid using METAL for any path of air as it induces more heat into the air which does not give a cylinder a good charge so will cause, more knock, leaner, and less performance due to timing loss. Metal airbridge will cause air to stew at idle and slow speeds.
3. Heat raises so any aircleaner placed high is more prone to that heat.
4. seals that are supposed to seal to underside of hood never work well over time and tend to leak hot air into a closed enclosure
5. Testing a aircleaner and claiming performance gains :

A. is a joke, strapped to a chassis dyno is not anywhere near airflow streams in realworld
B. Chassis dyno have at least a 10 percent margin of error so you cannot even take results from one car to another even in the same hour and even a simple difference in how well or poor a car was strapped down will cause a different end results and only reporting 10 - 20 HP difference is within the margin of error. Bad tests methods making claims this way.

6. round, conical aircleaners cause turbulence which effects the MAF so filter flatter and more surface assures air straightens out before flowing across MAF.

7. a stock clean aircleaner would pass the same amount of air as one causing $300, what CAI is all about is colder, denser air burns much better. A stock GM aircleaner setup will allow warranty and EPA issues and instead use water/methanol injection will reduce air temps by at least 40 degrees and more.

8. EPA as of this month is getting real tough and new law passing by June will be worse.

Look at how these 10 guys are now looking at jail and up to $250,000 fine
is small HP gains worse getting wacked by EPA ?

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, January 8, 2010

10 Las Vegas Men Indicted for Falsifying Vehicle Emissions Tests
Nevada DMV Computerized Database Led to Discovery of Falsifications
WASHINGTON—A federal grand jury in Las Vegas today returned indictments against 10 Nevada-certified emissions testers for falsifying vehicle emissions test reports, the Justice Department announced.
Each defendant faces one felony Clean Air Act count for falsifying reports between November 2007 and May 2009. The number of falsifications varied by defendant, with some defendants having falsified approximately 250 records, while others falsified more than double that figure. One defendant is alleged to have falsified over 700 reports.
The individuals indicted include:
  • Eduardo Franco, 30
  • Alexander Wayne Worster, 27
  • William Joseph McCown, 48
  • Joseph DeMatteo, 52
  • David Eugene Nelson, 46
  • Louis Engene Demeo, 50
  • Adolpho Silva-Contreras, 47
  • Peter Escudero, 47
  • Wadji Waked, 24
  • Gary Smith, 47
Escudero resides in Pahrump, Nev. All other individuals are from Clark County, Nev.
The 10 defendants are alleged to have engaged in a practice known as "clean scanning" vehicles. The scheme involved entering the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for a vehicle that would not pass the emissions test into the computerized system, then connecting a different vehicle the testers knew would pass the test. These falsifications were allegedly performed for anywhere from $10 to $100 over and above the usual emissions testing fee.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), under the Clean Air Act, requires the state of Nevada to conduct vehicle emissions testing in certain areas because the areas exceed national standards for carbon monoxide and ozone. Las Vegas is currently required to perform emissions testing.
To obtain a registration renewal, vehicle owners bring the vehicles to a licensed inspection station for testing. The emissions inspector logs into a computer to activate the system by using a unique password issued to the emissions inspector. The emissions inspector manually inputs the vehicle’s VIN to identify the tested vehicle, then connects the vehicle for model year 1996 and later to an onboard diagnostics port connected to an analyzer. The analyzer downloads data from the vehicle’s computer, analyzes the data and provides a "pass" or "fail" result. The pass or fail result and vehicle identification data are reported on the Vehicle Inspection Report. It is a crime to knowingly alter or conceal any record or other document required to be maintained by the Clean Air Act.
"Falsifications of vehicle emissions testing, such as those alleged in the indictments unsealed today, are serious matters and we intend to use all of our enforcement tools to stop this harmful practice. These actions undermine a system that is designed to reduce air pollutants including smog and provide better air quality for the citizens of Nevada," said Ignacia S. Moreno, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division.
"The residents of Nevada deserve to know that the vast majority of licensed vehicle emission inspectors are not corrupt and are not circumventing emission testing procedures," said U.S. Attorney Bogden. "These indictments should serve as a clear warning to offenders that the Department of Justice will prosecute you if you make fraudulent statements and reports concerning compliance with the federal Clean Air Act."
"Lying about car emissions means dirtier air, which is especially of concern in areas like Las Vegas that are already experiencing air quality problems," said Cynthia Giles, Assistant Administrator for Enforcement and Compliance Assurance at EPA. "We will take aggressive action to ensure communities have clean air."
The maximum penalty for the felony violations contained in the indictments includes up to two years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
An indictment is merely an accusation, and a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law.
The case was investigated by the EPA, Criminal Investigation Division; and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles Compliance Enforcement Division. The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Nevada and the Justice Department’s Environmental Crimes Section.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #46
WhyMe

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS
And the C.A.I. is much better looking. If the difference between kits is only 3-5 hp you will never notice it so why not go with what compliments the looks of the car. Ordering the C.A.I soon.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #47
darenf02

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP LS7 swapped
GM makes its own CAI and sells it through GMPP.....I highly doubt its illegal, especially considering the Gov is in control of GM.

The legal gibberish at the bottom has absolutely nothing to do with CAI's. These employees were passing old cars with HIGH miles, worn-out/missing cats, smoked rings, etc., using other vehicles in exchange for a cash payment from the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Vette View Post
Few thoughts to think about

1. Of course any CAI is illegal to EPA ( filter is a smog device) and GM warranty
2. GM rid using METAL for any path of air as it induces more heat into the air which does not give a cylinder a good charge so will cause, more knock, leaner, and less performance due to timing loss. Metal airbridge will cause air to stew at idle and slow speeds.
3. Heat raises so any aircleaner placed high is more prone to that heat.
4. seals that are supposed to seal to underside of hood never work well over time and tend to leak hot air into a closed enclosure
5. Testing a aircleaner and claiming performance gains :

A. is a joke, strapped to a chassis dyno is not anywhere near airflow streams in realworld
B. Chassis dyno have at least a 10 percent margin of error so you cannot even take results from one car to another even in the same hour and even a simple difference in how well or poor a car was strapped down will cause a different end results and only reporting 10 - 20 HP difference is within the margin of error. Bad tests methods making claims this way.

6. round, conical aircleaners cause turbulence which effects the MAF so filter flatter and more surface assures air straightens out before flowing across MAF.

7. a stock clean aircleaner would pass the same amount of air as one causing $300, what CAI is all about is colder, denser air burns much better. A stock GM aircleaner setup will allow warranty and EPA issues and instead use water/methanol injection will reduce air temps by at least 40 degrees and more.

8. EPA as of this month is getting real tough and new law passing by June will be worse.

Look at how these 10 guys are now looking at jail and up to $250,000 fine
is small HP gains worse getting wacked by EPA ?

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, January 8, 2010

10 Las Vegas Men Indicted for Falsifying Vehicle Emissions Tests
Nevada DMV Computerized Database Led to Discovery of Falsifications
WASHINGTON—A federal grand jury in Las Vegas today returned indictments against 10 Nevada-certified emissions testers for falsifying vehicle emissions test reports, the Justice Department announced.
Each defendant faces one felony Clean Air Act count for falsifying reports between November 2007 and May 2009. The number of falsifications varied by defendant, with some defendants having falsified approximately 250 records, while others falsified more than double that figure. One defendant is alleged to have falsified over 700 reports.
The individuals indicted include:
  • Eduardo Franco, 30
  • Alexander Wayne Worster, 27
  • William Joseph McCown, 48
  • Joseph DeMatteo, 52
  • David Eugene Nelson, 46
  • Louis Engene Demeo, 50
  • Adolpho Silva-Contreras, 47
  • Peter Escudero, 47
  • Wadji Waked, 24
  • Gary Smith, 47
Escudero resides in Pahrump, Nev. All other individuals are from Clark County, Nev.
The 10 defendants are alleged to have engaged in a practice known as "clean scanning" vehicles. The scheme involved entering the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for a vehicle that would not pass the emissions test into the computerized system, then connecting a different vehicle the testers knew would pass the test. These falsifications were allegedly performed for anywhere from $10 to $100 over and above the usual emissions testing fee.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), under the Clean Air Act, requires the state of Nevada to conduct vehicle emissions testing in certain areas because the areas exceed national standards for carbon monoxide and ozone. Las Vegas is currently required to perform emissions testing.
To obtain a registration renewal, vehicle owners bring the vehicles to a licensed inspection station for testing. The emissions inspector logs into a computer to activate the system by using a unique password issued to the emissions inspector. The emissions inspector manually inputs the vehicle’s VIN to identify the tested vehicle, then connects the vehicle for model year 1996 and later to an onboard diagnostics port connected to an analyzer. The analyzer downloads data from the vehicle’s computer, analyzes the data and provides a "pass" or "fail" result. The pass or fail result and vehicle identification data are reported on the Vehicle Inspection Report. It is a crime to knowingly alter or conceal any record or other document required to be maintained by the Clean Air Act.
"Falsifications of vehicle emissions testing, such as those alleged in the indictments unsealed today, are serious matters and we intend to use all of our enforcement tools to stop this harmful practice. These actions undermine a system that is designed to reduce air pollutants including smog and provide better air quality for the citizens of Nevada," said Ignacia S. Moreno, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division.
"The residents of Nevada deserve to know that the vast majority of licensed vehicle emission inspectors are not corrupt and are not circumventing emission testing procedures," said U.S. Attorney Bogden. "These indictments should serve as a clear warning to offenders that the Department of Justice will prosecute you if you make fraudulent statements and reports concerning compliance with the federal Clean Air Act."
"Lying about car emissions means dirtier air, which is especially of concern in areas like Las Vegas that are already experiencing air quality problems," said Cynthia Giles, Assistant Administrator for Enforcement and Compliance Assurance at EPA. "We will take aggressive action to ensure communities have clean air."
The maximum penalty for the felony violations contained in the indictments includes up to two years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
An indictment is merely an accusation, and a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law.
The case was investigated by the EPA, Criminal Investigation Division; and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles Compliance Enforcement Division. The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Nevada and the Justice Department’s Environmental Crimes Section.
LS7 swap stage 3 cam, MSD intake, NW 103 TB, LME heads, JBA ceramic coated LT's 1 7/8" Flowmaster 3" w/high flow cats & X pipe, MPD Motorsports cowl induction hood, CAI, ZL1 front clip, Jet Mass-Air Sensor, rear valence, Stealth bulbs, 20% tint, taillight blackouts, side marker blackouts, modern SS emblem back, 427 rear emblem, S.S. rear spoiler, MGW shifter, black ZL1 replica wheels (wider), 160* thermostat, front firing 2x12" Rockford Fosgate subs, NA 619rwhp on Mustang Dyno

Last edited by darenf02; 01-12-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #48
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
WTH was that...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #49
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
To be fair to LMR, they were one of the first to supply a CAI system, the CAI system was not available until later. CAI had plenty of time to improve upon what other before them had already done. This is in no way a put down against CAI. I like the looks of their system, also. But, up until their system was put on the market, the majority of the system were black tubes with no sealed air box. I run the LMR and have no complaints. I don't race my car, but the performance is on par with K&n, Airraid, and AFE, all of which I have used on various cars, all of which I was equally satisfied.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #50
darenf02

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
WTH was that...
LS7 swap stage 3 cam, MSD intake, NW 103 TB, LME heads, JBA ceramic coated LT's 1 7/8" Flowmaster 3" w/high flow cats & X pipe, MPD Motorsports cowl induction hood, CAI, ZL1 front clip, Jet Mass-Air Sensor, rear valence, Stealth bulbs, 20% tint, taillight blackouts, side marker blackouts, modern SS emblem back, 427 rear emblem, S.S. rear spoiler, MGW shifter, black ZL1 replica wheels (wider), 160* thermostat, front firing 2x12" Rockford Fosgate subs, NA 619rwhp on Mustang Dyno
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #51
darenf02

You're right on target. They sold a bunch right out of the gate. Then along came competitors that took some of their market share. Instead of seeing it that way, they are blaming Jannetty Racing's test results. The differences in the "performance" of all the boxed CAI's are going to be marginal. Appearances and other preferences (brand, etc.) are the major differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby02 View Post
To be fair to LMR, they were one of the first to supply a CAI system, the CAI system was not available until later. CAI had plenty of time to improve upon what other before them had already done. This is in no way a put down against CAI. I like the looks of their system, also. But, up until their system was put on the market, the majority of the system were black tubes with no sealed air box. I run the LMR and have no complaints. I don't race my car, but the performance is on par with K&n, Airraid, and AFE, all of which I have used on various cars, all of which I was equally satisfied.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #52
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
I feel LVPD comin down on me! I'm runnin!

Oh yeah, grammar check and spell check are your friends! BS check is a self install, use it often!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #53
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darenf02 View Post
You're right on target. They sold a bunch right out of the gate. Then along came competitors that took some of their market share. Instead of seeing it that way, they are blaming Jannetty Racing's test results. The differences in the "performance" of all the boxed CAI's are going to be marginal. Appearances and other preferences (brand, etc.) are the major differences.
Thank You
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #54
darenf02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafsanjani View Post
I feel LVPD comin down on me! I'm runnin!

Oh yeah, grammar check and spell check are your friends! BS check is a self install, use it often!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #55
Tucker3000

Drives: Camaro
lots of decisions about CAI kits.
I have allot of reading to do
Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #56
darenf02

My suggestion: skip this thread. Worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker3000 View Post
lots of decisions about CAI kits.
I have allot of reading to do

Closed Thread