Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #43
tinmanwpk

Drives: 2010 CTS SportWagon 3.6 DI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
I drove the CTS-V with Recaro seats on the test track at Barrett-Jackson earlier this year. Those seats are amazing! I could have spent 15 minutes just dialing in the seats and steering wheel if they had let me. They're a $2,800 option, but what would they cost outright? Time to patrol the salvage yards...
Good Lord, whatever you do just don't buy the standard CTS seats! They rank among the worst pieces of plywood ever put into a car.
tinmanwpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #44
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
The leather sears are not comfortable at all to me. The seats in my families 4 runner, Tacomas, s550, and sisters cr-v are all many times more comfortable. I've been thinking of switching them but I have yet to research what options I have. I have 70,000 miles and they have only gotten worse.
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #45
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Camaros are not the only GM car this way. My C6 Vette seats were horrible. I swapped them out for Lamborghini seats which are a MILLION times better, granted it was not cheap...
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #46
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I loved my C6 seats versus the Camaro seats.. Camaro seats belong in an impala.. no support for any type of spirited driving.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #47
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
My first reaction is that you are sitting too far back in the seat. This is a common occurance.

Go out to your Camaro -- get in -- put your hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2. Are your shoulderblades planted firmly in the backrest? I suspect not.....and that means that you have the seat (or the backrest) too far back. Readjust the seat and I suspect you'll find that 90% of your problem will be solved.

Now - you say: "Balderdash!" -- well -- I've had this complaint from Camaro and Firebird owners going back to the early days of the 4th gen -- people would tell me that the seats caused back-pain - and in most instances, once they learned to move the seat up - the pain went away.

As you'll see - most find these seats as some of the best out there......

Will they make everyone happy? No - no seat will.

two thoughts:

>The Camaro seat contains an airbag. When you switch out the seats, you will no longer have that protection - and while I'm not an engineer, you will probably get a code from the Body control module. Further -- the car has not been crash tested with aftermarket seats - and we have no way of knowing what the design parameters of an aftermarket seat might be - and even if it's a well-designed seat - you must ask yourself: "did they put this seat specifically into a Camaro and run crash tests?" (the answer is very likely "no!")

>(and this isn't meant to be harsh - but I think it needs to be repeated: The seats are not meant to be a 'recliner' as in your living room. You are driving a high performance car. SIT UP! Lying back in the seat is extremely dangerous - if you are not seated properly and you lose control of the car (and the best drivers in the world have the unexpected happen and they crash - so keep that in mind for those of you who want to tell me that you are excellent drivers....) -- you can damage the car beyond repair - but more importantly -- injure or kill you -- the people in the car with you - or worse - innocent people who happen to find themselves in the vicinity of an 'out of control' car!

Don't mean to lecture - but it concerns me that I'm losing all too many enthusiasts due to bad choices and decisions - and it doesn't have to be this way!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #48
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
maybe you should adjust your seat back a lil more?
these are the best car seats i ever had so comfy,i have the cloth
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #49
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
Back to the op's question. Yes u can change your seats out. However you will get an airbag code that supposedly disables all your airbags. Fear not, there is a fix that has been around since airbags have been installed in seats.

Disconnect your battery before you ever disconnect an airbag connection otherwise it'll throw a trouble code. Remove seat. Find out the impedance of your seat airbags and purchase a resistor of the same value. Pound the resistor hard wire ends flat so that they fit into the airbag connector and slide them in and affix the resistor to the connector so it can't separate. Attach new adapter,sliders, and seats and then connect the battery back up. Done, obviously no more seat airbags but no codes thrown and the rest of your airbags should work.

Sorry I have not done this with my new camaro yet so i dont know the resistor values or which connector pins but I've seen wiring diagrams in these forums and find it hard to believe we don't have some members that have changed out to more supportive seats. I have had alcantara MOMO's in my VW for at least 8 years. I recently put the original seats back for my wife to drive it (I use the camaro now) and noticed that I don't corner as fast with stock seats. Aftermarket seats really make a difference in cornering confidence. I liken it to changing out bushings it really connects you to the car and would recommend it to anyone that wants to enjoy some curves

Good luck and hope I helped.
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote