Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #43
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbr3t View Post
I think it would be cool if they gave the camaro engine/hp options. I know they have the v6 and v8 now the zl1 which is supercharged but back in the day they sometimes had 4 different v8s to choose from all with different horsepower. It would set certain camaros apart and I would think be very cool.
That can get quite expensive. To save cost shared powertrains will be the norm.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #44
shaffe


 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 3,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbr3t View Post
I think it would be cool if they gave the camaro engine/hp options. I know they have the v6 and v8 now the zl1 which is supercharged but back in the day they sometimes had 4 different v8s to choose from all with different horsepower. It would set certain camaros apart and I would think be very cool.
Just like back in the day. but fuel regs are way to strict right now. But back in the day, you also had your choice of small blocks and big blocks. Not so anymore. It would be cool, but just not smart in todays auto world
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #45
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbr3t View Post
back in the day they sometimes had 4 different v8s to choose from all with different horsepower.
Actually, through the extended '69 Model Year, there were, at various times, ELEVEN V8's assembly line-available from the factory (one way or another):

Small Block
302-290 hp (Z/28-only)
307-200 hp (Base, late)
327-210 hp (Base, replaced late by 307)
350-255 hp LM1 (Base, optional)
350-300 hp L48 (SS-only)

Big Block
396-325 hp L35 (SS)
396-350 hp L34 (SS)
396-375 hp L78 (SS)
396-375 hp L78/L89 (SS-aluminum heads)
427-425 hp (L72) COPO 9561
427-430 hp (ZL1) COPO 9560

Combined with 2 different 6-cylinders, LOTS of choice...'way back when, but not today.

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 10-15-2012 at 12:29 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #46
Jason@JacFab
 
Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Point, OR
Posts: 5,625
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I don't think it would be so expensive as it wouldn't be feasible Punch out a 4.8 by +1.45mm and you get a 302ci engine... Probably wouldn't happen though.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #47
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,030
There are currently 4 versions of engines that use the "LS3" block/style: L76, L92, LS3 and LS9. Even though it has been said by others here many times about how producing an engine just for the camaro would not be in GM's current mindset I still disagree. The major R&D gets completed making just one engine but the use of the block/heads can be used to still make many variations of an engine. They do it all the time. If they made lets say a "302DI" it could be used in the Impala, Colorado, base full size using different cam/crank/manifold design/tuning to get the desired effect on said vehicle. it is the same thing they aleady do today, and its not really building a one-off engine that its been said that would cost an arm and a leg to put into the Camaro the specific cam/heads/crank etc. would just be specific to the Camaro. I would still rather see the 5.3L DI in there at 475hp though 7000 redline.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #48
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
There are currently 4 versions of engines that use the "LS3" block/style: L76, L92, LS3 and LS9. Even though it has been said by others here many times about how producing an engine just for the camaro would not be in GM's current mindset I still disagree. The major R&D gets completed making just one engine but the use of the block/heads can be used to still make many variations of an engine. They do it all the time. If they made lets say a "302DI" it could be used in the Impala, Colorado, base full size using different cam/crank/manifold design/tuning to get the desired effect on said vehicle. it is the same thing they aleady do today, and its not really building a one-off engine that its been said that would cost an arm and a leg to put into the Camaro the specific cam/heads/crank etc. would just be specific to the Camaro. I would still rather see the 5.3L DI in there at 475hp though 7000 redline.
What makes you believe that the 5.3l is capable of putting out around 90 HP per liter compared to 69 HP per liter for the LS3? Is direct injection worth that kind of improvement?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #49
cbass

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What makes you believe that the 5.3l is capable of putting out around 90 HP per liter compared to 69 HP per liter for the LS3? Is direct injection worth that kind of improvement?
Yes. The DI 3.6 V6 currently in the camaro is putting out about 90 hp/ L.

The non-DI 5.0 coyote with VVT is putting up around 84 hp /L and that's without DI.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #50
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Yes. The DI 3.6 V6 currently in the camaro is putting out about 90 hp/ L.

The non-DI 5.0 coyote with VVT is putting up around 84 hp /L and that's without DI.
Those are both DOHC aren't they?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #51
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,343
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Those are both DOHC aren't they?
yes
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #52
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,030
and that matters because?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #53
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Because God (who has a degree in Mechanical Engineering) said so...it's the 11th Commandment.

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 10-16-2012 at 10:19 AM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #54
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,030
oh yeah I remember now!! I can't believe I forgot! lol
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Because God (who has a degree in Mechanical Engineering) said so...it's the 11th Commandment.
....yeah....so there....!
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #56
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
and that matters because?
Because DOHC allows the use of multipe valves for exhaust and intake so that the engine flows more air which allows it to make more power.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM: Arguments for a Spring 2011 Z/28 release! sen10l Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 25 04-10-2011 01:39 PM
PWA "The Lounge" DGthe3 Off-topic Discussions 143773 11-06-2010 11:00 AM
Al Oppenheiser on Z/28..... ShnOmac Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 126 04-29-2010 03:26 AM
The Comaro Betrayed Chevy djljm Off-topic Discussions 36 11-28-2009 08:38 PM
Ford Boss 302 TAG UR IT General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 5 12-09-2006 07:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.