Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #43
2SS2010

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat300z View Post
Go with Ted Jannetty and buy your stuff from him at JRE...You won't be sorry. He is IMHO the best at tuning. He tuned my car and when I supercharge it next month he will tune that too

By the way the SC is coming from him also
Thank you Mat
2SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #44
dcoates18481

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RALLY YELLOW SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Can be costly.
Have to go back to the rollers for any changes (more $$).
Gas, time, effort.

Those being said, if you have anything more than bolt-ons, you really need to dyno tune it regardless of the above.
THIS^^^^^

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
dcoates18481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #45
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
So the disadvantage of a dyno tune is.....
it's not really a disadvantage to getting a dyno tune itself per say. Sometimes choosing to get a dyno tune may have you driving a distance to get to your closest tuner so the disadvantage would be "convenience" to someone that this situation applies to. .

Or could possibly be more expensive depending on the tuner. Usually it's about the same tho.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #46
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Guys, I have Fixed Hundreds of Dyno Tunes from My Desk.

There is a lot more to tuning than what you can accomplish in a 2-3 hour dyno session.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #47
2SS2010

I need to mod in steps do to financial reasons. So if I can buy a hand held tuner from Janetty and have him mod out the ATM and some other useless shit i will do that. Then once I buy headers from him and he'll adjust the tune for that and then the CAI down the road etc etc. And he's 100% confident it'll be perfect with 0 issues I'l go that route.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #48
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I did the super street brawler package from Ted and live 8 hrs from a shop if take my car to for a tune. So I went with his email tune. Well I finally got on the dyno 6 months after doing all the work. The guy running the dyno looked at the runs and was like wow, you got this tuned by email? Who ever it was did a damn good job. He told me he wouldn't change anything with it. So take that for what you want. I'm extremely happy with my remote tune and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #49
2SS2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
I did the super street brawler package from Ted and live 8 hrs from a shop if take my car to for a tune. So I went with his email tune. Well I finally got on the dyno 6 months after doing all the work. The guy running the dyno looked at the runs and was like wow, you got this tuned by email? Who ever it was did a damn good job. He told me he wouldn't change anything with it. So take that for what you want. I'm extremely happy with my remote tune and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

That is very encouraging information Caswell Thank you

Clif
Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #50
dcoates18481

You can't ask for a better "mail order" tune than Jannetty!
when you start getting cammed and S/C- T/C, IMO a dyno tune is the way to go for fine tuning.

"Mail order" tunes can be tweaked by things like data logging while doing high speed Runs(in a controlled enviroment of course) and by AFR meters,Which can be added to a Data logging program with a little know how.

if i had a dyno nearby, whats how i would do it since i'm cammed now.
before the cam, My Jannetty tunes were vert effective to get me where i wanted to be.

if possible, i will be sending data logs to Ted to see if there are any improvements to be made once i get my intake and pulley work done.

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #51
Camarojt

Here is the long and short of it. I personally have gotten great results both ways. The points being made are all good points. For the OP with just headers, I'm sure a remote tune is just fine. If you are overly concerned about getting all the hp for the mod, then opt for the dyno.
There is NO right or wrong answer. It's all about what you prefer to do and your expectations to get from your $$.

Other things to consider:
Are you planning on building your car faster and faster to race? Then ultimately you will want a dyno tune. So why waste the money in a $400 tuner new, or $200 used then end up having it for sale 6months later Bc you decided to highly modify ur car.

Or maybe your a headers, exhaust, CAI only type of guy. If that's the case, then I would say remote will be easier and the difference in tuning or hp gained will be entirely up to the skills of the person tuning it remotely. If you can data log it, then you can get it dialed in very close.

Both are great options for different people's needs and goals. So think about your long term plan and pick that way.

If you go remote, there are other guys with great tuning abilities. Matt at FSP Is one, and I would give Rhino a pm. I believe he has a remote handheld that he can nail a tune from a distance. After all, headers only isn't that hard to tune. The biggest gain you will feel is in the transmission tune anyways. So don't feel confined to just 1 particular place.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #52
dcoates18481

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS2010 View Post
I need to mod in steps do to financial reasons. So if I can buy a hand held tuner from Janetty and have him mod out the ATM and some other useless shit i will do that. Then once I buy headers from him and he'll adjust the tune for that and then the CAI down the road etc etc. And he's 100% confident it'll be perfect with 0 issues I'l go that route.
thats what i did and it worked out just fine.
i got cammed on a dyno, car still working just fine.
Ted will get my datalogging with the AFR readings as soon as i get it rigged to the datalogger.

Ted gets it done.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #53
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
its a fact, JRE tune trumps all plain and simple. Personal experience, he is spot on 100% of the time. Its a noooooo brainer. Trust him with your tune and rest assured.
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #54
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerimuscle View Post
its a fact, JRE tune trumps all plain and simple. Personal experience, he is spot on 100% of the time. Its a noooooo brainer. Trust him with your tune and rest assured.
Um, that's just personal preference. There are MANY very well qualified shops that do mail order tunes. FSP, GPI, ECS, etc.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #55
Camarojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerimuscle View Post
Nobody is gonna be spot on 100% of the time.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #56
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
Nobody is gonna be spot on 100% of the time.
True - but, from what I have read on here he stands by his work 100% of the time.