Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Corsa / Solo Exhaust for L99 AFM question

I think I've finally narrowed it down to the Corsa Catback or the Solo Mach XL w/J pipes for the L99. Not sure whether or not to go with the axle back or catback on the Mach XL.

Can someone with these exhausts on an otherwise stock engine L99 advise me on what the AFM kicking in sounds like with these? Is it very noticeable? Can you also advise on how it sounds in 4 cylinder mode? There seem to be no videos out there of that.

I'm looking for a no drone exhaust, and not a huge fan of popping noises either. How's the popping on these 3 setups for the L99?

No plans to tune out the AFM right now as I want to keep my warranty intact.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
In my opinion the AFM is terrible on any exhaust but if I had to deal with it I would get one of these two systems. As far as which one is better.....they are pretty close but without driving in both back to back it would be real hard to judge. Go with the one that sounds better to you.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I like my Corsa exhaust. I could hear the AFM kick in at low cruising speeds while going through my neighborhood. Never heard the AFM on the highway. Last year I had the AFM removed while getting a cam package installed and glad I did it.

Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
I don't know if you have headers, but my decel popping is LOUD. I see people in other cars turning their heads to see what is happening when I decel. Of course, with the M6, I can always shift to neutral to decel should I ever tire of the pop (not any time soon ). I'm sure it's not see easy with the A6.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Both are good choices... if you notice 4 cyl mode now it will be slightly accentuated with either of these Catbacks, but not that bad IMO.

Seems the folks who are bothered by AFM are bothered by it stock also. That might be your best guide.. if it doesn't bother you now you will be OK with either of these systems. Especially since you are not going to tune which also means no headers.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
I don't know if you have headers, but my decel popping is LOUD. I see people in other cars turning their heads to see what is happening when I decel. Of course, with the M6, I can always shift to neutral to decel should I ever tire of the pop (not any time soon ). I'm sure it's not see easy with the A6.
Automtic cars don't decel like manual cars left in gear so it's usually not that big of a deal. The biggest cause for popping in your exhaust is headers especially with out cats.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
stros

Thanks guys for the feedback. I don't notice AFM at all right now stock. I have no headers or plan on getting them. Contemplating getting a supercharger some day.

I've heard it mentioned that there are ways to avoid AFM kicking in - like shifting the transmission into M mode - or tapshifting. Is that true? I always drive in M - don't tapshift as much though.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stros View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. I don't notice AFM at all right now stock. I have no headers or plan on getting them. Contemplating getting a supercharger some day.

I've heard it mentioned that there are ways to avoid AFM kicking in - like shifting the transmission into M mode - or tapshifting. Is that true? I always drive in M - don't tapshift as much though.
Tapshift is a waste IMHO... it's fun for occasional drives but does nothing for performance... Driving in M is the ticket like you already do. As I said earlier if it doesn't bother you now, you will be fine with either of these systems. Once you ever do decide to go headers or SC you will be tuning anyway and would just turn it off at that point.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
mlee is right. You get better performance driving in sport mode. If you want to cut the AFM off you have to tapshift to 6th gear and then down shift to 5th then back to 6th. The AFM will be off until you shift back to Drive or Sport mode. That how I cut the AFM off on long road trips.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
stros

Cool. Thanks. Sounds like there are some ways around AFM if I find it annoying.

Last question - if i go with Solo - any major reason to spend the money on the catback instead of the axle back?

I think I'm leaning towards Solo as it supposedly has a deeper muscle car tone to it.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
The Catback is really nice if it's not too pricey for you. The added custom resonated X pipe will smooth the tone out and cut down on the popping of the axle back version. Will replace the whole large auto resonator you have.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
It may not bother you to have the AFM system operating but if you ever drove your L99 with it turned off you would NEVER want it back on. I was worried a bit about warrantee at first but decided to get a custom tune with some bolt ons and turned the AFM off. Never looked back and could not be happier.

A good tune will get you the same milage or better with the AFM turned off then the stock tune will get you using the AFM system.

Again, if you ever drove your car with it turned off you would never consider putting up with it again.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
stros

Made my decision - just ordered the Solo Mach XL with J Pipes from Juiced Motorsports (thanks Jason @ Juiced for answering my numerous questions).

Getting it installed by the guys at Blu808 here in San Jose once it arrives. Hoping that the AFM doesn't bug me at all as I don't want to risk voiding that 7 year extended warranty I got a good deal on back when I got my SS in 2009 by tuning it:-)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stros View Post
Made my decision - just ordered the Solo Mach XL with J Pipes from Juiced Motorsports (thanks Jason @ Juiced for answering my numerous questions).

Getting it installed by the guys at Blu808 here in San Jose once it arrives. Hoping that the AFM doesn't bug me at all as I don't want to risk voiding that 7 year extended warranty I got a good deal on back when I got my SS in 2009 by tuning it:-)
Great choice! Jason's a good guy, very helpful with all of my questions as well - highly recommended! Enjoy...
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote