Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
Xii239

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Black Camaro
Changed HID headlight - buzzing

So one of my headlights went out about 6 months ago (it actually broke in place). Ordered a new set from Diode Dynamics, had a shop install both of them because I couldn't get the connector off and I remembered hearing a slight low buzzing from one side. About two weeks ago, the other side went out (it was a new bulb), haven't had time to changed it, and tonight the OTHER new one went out. So both HIDs out (that was fun driving home). Replaced one with the old working stock HID and there is still a buzzing sound coming from the light housing, but the bulb works. Any idea or thoughts? I'm afraid it's some electrical problem that's just going to blow the bulbs again. Is the buzzing normal? It seems to die down the longer they stay on.

I didn't touch the bulbs originally, they were installed carefully.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
A humming/buzzing is normal when HIDs first come on. A lot of current going through those ballasts during initial igniting of the bulb. The sound will die down as the lights get up to temperature, but you will always have a faint sound.

When you install the HIDs, are you doing so with nitrite gloves? If you are doing this with a bare hand, HIDs will blow out very quickly as they burn very hot and any oils you put on them from your hands will create a hot spot.

I would recommend buying a good set of Philips 4300k bulbs, and installing those. You should be good then. I think xenon depot should have our size.