Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Secret Factory Options For a Low-Cost Mustang Killer

As we get closer and closer to get the information we need, I wanted to throw this out there. Although this may still be a little early after the lack of information CamaroScotty leardned on the IDL.

At the end of the third gen, Chevrolet developed a back-door racing package for the Camaro that could be ordered by the general public if you knew what you were doing.

I certainly don’t know what I’m doing…but, I know a lot of you do. Perhaps someone , or together, can figure out the correct options to come up with a low cost factory built (and warrantied) Mustang Killer.

The excerpt below is from a great “coffee table” book. I know the excerpt is long…but, it’s worth it (IMHO). I’d LOVE to be able to order one of these. I have altered the GM employees who worked on the project, last names to protect the innocent (although they are listed in the book).

Camaro Forty Years, by Darwin Holmstrom, with a Forward by Ed Welburn

The back-door racing program below was developed in 1988:

“Phil M_____, a GM brake engineer, Chuck H______, chief engineer for the Camaro platform, and Ray C______, powertrain manager for GM’s F-bodies, conspired to produce a back-door racer support program in the tradition of Vince P______s’ COPO program.

The team grew in size and in scope, producing a comprehensive racing package that included a lower fifth-gear ratio, an aluminum driveshaft, and an oil cooler, among other parts. They labeled this option “1LE”, but it was not an option a buyer could order in the conventional sense. Ordering it was more akin to knowing a secret handshake. To get the 1LE package, the buyer had to check the right combination of option boxes. First, he or she had to order the G92 Performance Axle option and not order air conditioning. Then the buyer had to select the LB9 with the five-speed manual transmission or the B2L with the automatic. When this was done in the proper order, it triggered the 1LE option code.

When equipped with the 1LE/G92 package, the 5-liter LB9 engine cranked out 230 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque, nearly matching the output of the larger 5.7 B2L engine. Motor Trend tested a 1LE/LB9 car and turned in a quarter-mile time of 14.8 seconds.

Chevrolet first started offering this package in mid-1988, but few people knew of its existence. The division filled four properly checked order forms in 1988, none in 1989, and 62 in 1990. But, after being trounced by 1LE Camaros, racers began to catch on to this incredible bargain and orders picked up, jumping to 478 in 1991 and 705 in 1992. The fact that sharp enthusiasts had figured out the system and began ordering 1LE cars for street use also contributed to its sales.

Clever buyers who wanted the performance of the 1LE package but wanted it in a more civilized car with air conditioning – and who were adept at negotiating the political minefield of Chevrolet’s option sheet – could order RPO B4C, available in 1991 and 1992. This provided most of the best pieces of the 1LE package, including the 145-mile-per-hour speedometer……”

Last edited by playhard67; 07-22-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo, paragraph breaks and bold
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
In the late 80's you had to be a licensed racer to order 1LE. Most daily driver folks didn't want it anyways because it was AC delete. The B4C was also restricted to LawEnforcement only.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 07-22-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
I have no personal knowledge, but according to the book, it seems that the 1991 and 1992 versions were available to enthusiasts for street use.

I'm only saying that once the options list comes out...perhaps some savvy enthusiasts here can put together something that will ultimately kick-a*#
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
JeffInDFW
Camaro owner for 29 years

Drives: 96 Viper GTS/09 Sky Redline/95 Z28
The B4C was a law enforcement vehicle, but if you had a dealership with a fleet manager that would work with you, you could get around it. But, it was not easy to do. At the time I looked into it, and can no longer remember the details, but the hurdles were all things I was able to do with some effort. Seems like I had to provide something showing I was going to be using the car for a police department or private security. My memory is thin on it, but it seems like that was the way I was going to go to do it was something to do with private security. If I remember better details, I'll try to edit this post, but thats the best my old brain can come up with for now!
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
You could get the B4C after the cops wore em out easy enough, but they're tough to find anymore. Scotty confirmed a 5th gen B4C today.