Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #85
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylortoons View Post
Dang you guys are old! LOL!! I didn’t start until ‘79.
I feel even better.....1985 here lol....your old.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #86
TooManyProjects

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
People use traction control??
TooManyProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #87
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyProjects View Post
Rumor has it...
Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #88
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK141SS View Post
As for my Camaro I've been driving with the traction control off since I bought it. That might explain why my rear tires only lasted 11k. Think I might keep it on more now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I have to consider rear tires soon. 9600 miles. FEW burnouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Hey BLK I've kept my nannies on since day one and my rear tire life is the same as yours.... These cars eat rear tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK141SS View Post
That's good to know, I thought it was me. I don't hammer it all the time, I might replace the front's too since they're going on five years.
Phhhhhtttttt.... you guys gotta get out more... I'm averaging less than 50 miles....total........ on my rear tires...

And, I thought I was one of the older guys around here... Hell, Norm was in college when I was four... Started driving in 72, got my license in 78, stuck my first car through a fence the same year, "learning" to hang the rear out... over corrected and ran out of talent....74 pinto, dirt road on a farm...

A few years later I drove another Pinto, used to hunt Camaros and Trans Ams at the track.... 2.3 liter, boosted (turbo from a mustang II) C4 trans and eat their lunch up to 100 mph... then the car started trying to float, literally, so I would lift and they would occasionally blow past me in the traps...

One of these was a young Air Force troop, had a 68 or 69 Camaro, small block, 4 speed manual trans, huge tunnel ram intake with a brick on top of that, and two big Holley Carbs...(looked evil,ran like crap) had just enough cubes and rpm's, for one carb... bogged like hell off the line. He had a huge set of N50 15 Mickey Thompson's on the back, narrowed rear and tucked into wheel wells... He started laughing when I called him out... I was on 78 series bias ply tires... I did my little brake check burn out for a laugh... and staged, he smoked his to beat the band and finally staged... Lights dropped and I was going through the 1/8 mile trying to take off and I think he was trying to clear the 60 ft line...

Scary fun car to drive, but 100 mph was a hard limit unless ATC got involved...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #89
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyProjects View Post
I do... loose traction control on the track, and very tight traction control on the street.... or I end up in the ditch backwards at over 100 mph, maybe 200....

The GM provided nannies have no chance though... So we use ProEFI... It helps most of the time...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 08-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #90
PatCam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I'm just getting used to 426 horses in front of my manual so I use all the help I can get to not be too much of a fool on the street!!! And right yzinger, I eat my lunch with my car in my garage just so I can look at it. This is the car I have wanted all my life!
PatCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #91
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCam View Post
I'm just getting used to 426 horses in front of my manual so I use all the help I can get to not be too much of a fool on the street!!! And right yzinger, I eat my lunch with my car in my garage just so I can look at it. This is the car I have wanted all my life!
Now that's a mental image I can enjoy.... A man and his car.... Heck Yeah.....

Old 08-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #92
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Keep it on unless Im at the track.
This is what I do
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #93
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I keep mine on. I’ve only had the car for a couple weeks and only really drive it on the weekends when it’s nice. Still getting used to it. I have, however, taken some country back roads and turned everything off.....just to see what it would do....
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #94
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister10 View Post
I keep mine on. I’ve only had the car for a couple weeks and only really drive it on the weekends when it’s nice. Still getting used to it. I have, however, taken some country back roads and turned everything off.....just to see what it would do....
What did it do?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #95
00 Z/28

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I used to always put it in competitive mode before putting a tune on it. The biggest nanny by far is the torque management system. Now that it's tuned down, I don't need to turn the other stuff off as much. Car will break the tires loose even with the TCS on now.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #96
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
What did it do?
Got a whole lotta crazy real quick. I like how in competitive mode, the launch control revs to 4g, let of the clutch and melt the tires off
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #97
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Z/28 View Post
I used to always put it in competitive mode before putting a tune on it. The biggest nanny by far is the torque management system. Now that it's tuned down, I don't need to turn the other stuff off as much. Car will break the tires loose even with the TCS on now.
Exactly I can chirp tires in the first 3 gears with the nannies fully on. It didn't do that pre-tune not even 2nd gear. As you say the TM is the cars biggest nanny & I agree. And I did the same always had the car in Competitive Mode now I rarely use that mode and just leave the default setting.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #98
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Not sure if my tuner dialed back my nannies but, my car roasts the tires in 1st and 2nd and I do quite a few on ramp pulls spinning. I'm always surprised how controlled the car feels, ever felt like I was going to lose it. I'm not even a that good of a driver(driving for 8 years), this is my first car with over 500hp.