Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #99
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
gotta love how fords always one step ahead of the competition. Should be a interesting 2012. I can see gm bumping the power output on the LSA with ease, pully swap, injectors, tune and there @ 600hp.
The terminator returning? now things get REALLY interesting.
I don't know that I'd necessarily say they're always one step ahead. There's no arguing they've been in the ponycar game, uninterrupted, and have had continuous development. The technology in the chassis is pretty old, but tuned REALLY well. There's no arguing with the technology in the 5.0, but the 5.4 is pretty old school, but gets the job done. I think it'd be more fair to say Ford gets the job done, rather than they're a step ahead.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #100
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Thanks, 'Pill. I think I'm following you now.
Slee' - I see what you're saying about the Boss, but though it has a forged bottom end, do you think they'd stick with those (minus the high CR pistons) and just slap an SC on it? That engine's tuned for high-RPMs, and I thought that'd be different than an engine built with FI. I don't know, though; all speculation.
Anyways - we're off topic
Hm, lot's of options for Ford in the future GT500. Ford does seem committed to keep improving the Mustang to have lighter weight and better handling, increasing fuel economy, and good power. Transitioning from the 5.4 to the 5.0 would be in line with that. Turbo or SC? Diff heads? Not sure how they will play this. I like the simplicity and durability of a lower compression SC.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #101
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
i say there one step ahead because they always have the answer within no time. the mustang v6 upped the v6 camaro with a short time. the 5.0 was brought out in no time to beat off the SS. the Gt500 had no competition throught its modern life span, and now it has some competition coming for next year. ford has something up there sleeves, i know it.
I really hope the ZL1 sets the bench mark really high up to give ford some time to rebuild and compete. im keeping the faith and very confident gm has the knowledge to outdoo the compeptition, even if there late to the party.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #102
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
That's just a concept drawing, some artists wet dream. There's official word that it will ever look like that. In all likely hood it will be a Mustang similar to the 2011 with the 3.5 ecobost out of the SHO Taurus. Which in its upcoming incarnation with be cranking out about 400 HP. Although there is the Ecoboost Bobcat, which is based on the current 5.0. But its still in development.
Official word? That render was created from Rob Jensens concept of the 2010 Shelby GT500, Ford went with his other design instead. Rob was responsible for every concept and production Mustang after the 2005 was released.

I am prepared for the TT 3.5 to take the place of the current 5.0 and the 5.0 to be improved as the Boss was. Lets say a 305/365/450/560 hp spread.. If the Mustang drops 200lbs at the redisign and uses a Turbo 4, it could produce 285hp at 3200lb curb weight so the standard V6 might go away...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #103
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks, 'Pill. I think I'm following you now.

Slee' - I see what you're saying about the Boss, but though it has a forged bottom end, do you think they'd stick with those (minus the high CR pistons) and just slap an SC on it? That engine's tuned for high-RPMs, and I thought that'd be different than an engine built with FI. I don't know, though; all speculation.

Anyways - we're off topic
You got to try to get out of the Supercharged mindset, it is a supercharger that keeps the rev's down. There is no offical word but I can bet that it will be twin Garrett's using an over intake twin system. With a system like that, you might not need two turbo's.

Last edited by thePill; 02-18-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #104
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Official word? That render was created from Rob Jensens concept of the 2010 Shelby GT500, Ford went with his other design instead. Rob was responsible for every concept and production Mustang after the 2005 was released.
Meh, didnt know that now I do. I'd expect to see this then in the next generation of mustangs. I still don't like the current rear end design.

Quote:
I am prepared for the TT 3.5 to take the place of the current 5.0 and the 5.0 to be improved as the Boss was. Lets say a 305/365/450/560 hp spread.. If the Mustang drops 200lbs at the redisign and uses a Turbo 4, it could produce 285hp at 3200lb curb weight so the standard V6 might go away...
I'd think the GT would stay a 5.0 V8. Just add direct injection to that baby and see what it can do. It definitely makes sense to have that spread, i could see a base car with the ecoboost 2.0.

Maybe something like this.

Base - Ecoboost 2.0, 3.7 V6 with DI
SVO - Ecoboost 3.5 V6
GT - 5.0 V8 with DI
GT500 - Upcoming ecoboost 5.0 turbocharged V8?
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #105
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I just want to say that The Pill know's his s**t, no doubt.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #106
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
so you're saying a TT 5.0 would cost less than the SC 5.4 because it wouldn't require the TR6060 and the 5.0 would be cheaper? I don't recall all of the Coyote details, but do you think Ford would more-or-less just add turbos and throw a lower-capacity stick in there? I'm assuming Ford would be able to do that because the 5.0 would make less torque than the 5.4 - yes?
A twin turbo would produce more torque than a supercharger and offer more power in the mid to high range. Superchargers produce tons on low end torque and gradually fall. This type of set up would be good for a vehicle that has traction/launch problems. It would launch like a regular car with minimal tire spin...

Last edited by thePill; 02-18-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #107
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
A twin turbo would produce more torque than a supercharger and offer more power in the mid to high range. Superchargers produce tons on low end torque and gradually fall. This type of set up would be good for a vehicle that has traction/launch problems. It would launch like a regular car with minimal tire spin...
If you are making 600hp there is going to be tire spin no matter what.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #108
thePill
Account Suspended

I'm not even sure the ZL1 will be a 2012 model anyway, the 2013 GT500/Cobra comes out in Jan 2012. That would make it 2012 ZL1 vs. 2013 GT500/Cobra and both are being released at the same time... I have a feeling that 2013 will be a 16 month MY for the Mustang since the redesign will be shown and ready to roll on 17 April 2013 leaving at a very minimum, GM a year to release the 6th gen. Kinda sucks Ford is sort of making GM change body styles after only 5 years.

Edit: Technically, Ford could wait until the following year to release the 50th Ann as a 2014 1/2 but thats a really long MY13, unless they have a 2013 mid year bump..

Last edited by thePill; 02-18-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #109
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
I just want to say that The Pill know's his s**t, no doubt.
Thanks man, I like to think that everybody has the world at their finger tips, just some do not take advantage...

This will be off topic, but most people know that when marketing or sales are involved.. I'm usually on the first page of post. Sometimes people think im insane or twist numbers however I want them, but that is not true...

On the 4th of February, I posted my production findings of the Mustang on a Camaro site...
Quote:
This model year was cut short by about 3 months and seeing that they produced around 78k Mustangs last year....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...59#post2798959

Sadly, Ford does not officially release production numbers every year so I had absolutely NO proof... and the ways I collected that data would be extremely difficult for most people...

Exactly 2 hours ago, Detroit News posted a report on the Flat Rock plant... So, for those who doubted me..
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...year--CFO-says

I hope you realize how f***ing hard it is to decipher Ford speak every month and again at the end of the year just to keep up with production...
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #110
Darkflow

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
Well. What everyone needs to understand is they are not competing against the 2010 GT500. They are competing against the 201? GT500. A slight edge over the current GT500 might be good for 2012 when the ZL1 comes out, but as everyone has pointed out, a new or updated GT500 can't be that far away. I suspect GM will try to be proactive and compete with what they think is the next step.
Yea true, i get what your saying but i still feel that pushing more hp/tq might start pushing this motor to its max limit. Im just hoping it'll be built to handle what GM and buyers want to throw at it. I would like to know i can slap some mods on it and it'll still handle it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #111
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflow View Post
Yea true, i get what your saying but i still feel that pushing more hp/tq might start pushing this motor to its max limit. Im just hoping it'll be built to handle what GM and buyers want to throw at it. I would like to know i can slap some mods on it and it'll still handle it.
Some guys say the LSA is good for 620 rwhp and others are saying up to 700 rwhp.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #112
Darkflow

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
Some guys say the LSA is good for 620 rwhp and others are saying up to 700 rwhp.
Yea, ive seen those numbers thrown out as well but since a good amount of CTS-V owners dont really mod there cars. We dont really know just how well this motor is or what it can withstand. I guess the ZL1 owners will be the true tester's of this motor.