Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Battery saver activated question.

I just replaced the battery about 500 miles ago with a new diehard agm battery. The car has 16k miles on it. I was driving home 70mph on the highway yesterday with the wipers on for 1/2 of the drive for light drizzle. The radio was on too. The lights are set to auto. Everything is stock with the exception of a mild to wild controller. The battery saver message comes on. The console gauge shows the needle at exactly 12 volts. The drive was an hour long.

In the mornings when I start it, the needle looks like it is in the right place for a fully charged battery.

Now I received the battery message before. I had the ac on and again it happened on the highway. The car also seemed it took a bit longer to start than it should so I replaced the battery. The car was from a warm climate so I just assumed the battery was spent. But I’m still getting this message.

Is this normal? If not what can I test to isolate the problem?
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
I just replaced the battery about 500 miles ago with a new diehard agm battery. The car has 16k miles on it. I was driving home 70mph on the highway yesterday with the wipers on for 1/2 of the drive for light drizzle. The radio was on too. The lights are set to auto. Everything is stock with the exception of a mild to wild controller. The battery saver message comes on. The console gauge shows the needle at exactly 12 volts. The drive was an hour long.

In the mornings when I start it, the needle looks like it is in the right place for a fully charged battery.

Now I received the battery message before. I had the ac on and again it happened on the highway. The car also seemed it took a bit longer to start than it should so I replaced the battery. The car was from a warm climate so I just assumed the battery was spent. But I’m still getting this message.

Is this normal? If not what can I test to isolate the problem?
You shouldn’t have needed to replace your battery already on a 3yr old low mileage car. Seeing your car is stock and you already replaced the battery and now your getting the BSA msg it very well could be you’ve got a bad Alt as the BSA msg comes on when the battery isn’t being charged to keep up with volts it needs. First check your trunk battery grounds, make sure the posts are clean and tight and the cable connection to the trunk is TIGHT. If still getting msg then check Alt. Post back with update.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
You shouldn’t have needed to replace your battery already on a 3yr old low mileage car. Seeing your car is stock and you already replaced the battery and now your getting the BSA msg it very well could be you’ve got a bad Alt as the BSA msg comes on when the battery isn’t being charged to keep up with volts it needs. First check your trunk battery grounds, make sure the posts are clean and tight and the cable connection to the trunk is TIGHT. If still getting msg then check Alt. Post back with update.
Thanks camguy. Will do.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Level300

Battery was 12.8 at the post with car off.
Started headlights on it fluctuated between 13.9 to 14.7
With ac and read defroster, It settled down to 13.7 - 13.8 where it stayed (from dic).

I believe it is a bad alternator?
Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
camguynj

Quote:
Battery was 12.8 at the post with car off.
Started headlights on it fluctuated between 13.9 to 14.7
With ac and read defroster, It settled down to 13.7 - 13.8 where it stayed (from dic).

I believe it is a bad alternator?
With ac and rear defroster on it should be ~14.7 Sure seems like bad alt. Did you check trunk grounds? Underhood alt connections too, never can tell.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I had the same battery for 7 years and never had a low battery warning. Voltage fluctuations in the charging circuit are normal, BUT:

You say your car is stock EXCEPT you have some "controller". Obviously, look there first.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
Level300

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I had my email notifications off.

This was happening before I installed the controller. Everything looks good and tight.

I get the Battery Saver message (rarely)... usually when I'm running the AC, radio maybe wipers and lights on the highway (for about 45 minutes) ...when I pull into my driveway. But the next morning, the volts are back up to fully charged and it starts like there was no problem.

No codes either.

Strange little car.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
camguynj

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I had my email notifications off.

This was happening before I installed the controller. Everything looks good and tight.

I get the Battery Saver message (rarely)... usually when I'm running the AC, radio maybe wipers and lights on the highway (for about 45 minutes) ...when I pull into my driveway. But the next morning, the volts are back up to fully charged and it starts like there was no problem.

No codes either.

Strange little car.
Def have the Alt checked.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
Level300

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Def have the Alt checked.
Thanks CamGuyNJ!