Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
doesnt work in Canada =)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #16
1sspat
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2016 2SS, 6SP, NPP, MRC, NAV
I just completed it!!! Works Well. I just ended up cutting the spring, so now when the vehicle is started, and the switch is already in the off position, the warning light on the DIC does NOT come on. Everything works, minus the switch is now some what loose when it is in the OFF position. Everything still works accordingly however! Took me about 15 minutes and I am glad I did it.
1sspat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Anyone have a pic of the spring?

I might do this if it's possible for me to put it all back. I would imagine GM doesn't sell just the spring. You would have to buy the whole switch go back.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
okay, I want to install HID head lights on my 1Ls, but it is strongly recomended to disable all automatic headlights before doing this because they say the battery alone is not strong enough to start up the lights and that you should have the engine running. I;m getting this from here

http://www.philipshidkits.com/installation/

so if I do this spring mod will the headlights still come on when I exit the car like they do now?

I bought a cheapo Xentec set of BiXenon lights and had nothing but problems with them, now I'm looking into getting some good panasonic Bixenon ones. has anyone else done this?? what advice can you give me?
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
C586
Account Suspended

Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs. If you do that your headlights will work just like stock. And that switch mod won't work for you.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs. If you do that your headlights will work just like stock. And that switch mod won't work for you.
yes, panasonic does make Hid's, they make them for toyota & lexus, and and they even sell them on the website you listed. I'm not spending a $1000 I dont have on projectors because there's no reason to, plus i hate they way they look anyway.

I just dont want to spend $250 for a good kit and then have problems with them. Does this spring switch mod disable the headlights turning on for the vechicle exit and entry too?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
yes, panasonic does make Hid's, they make them for toyota & lexus, and and they even sell them on the website you listed. I'm not spending a $1000 I dont have on projectors because there's no reason to, plus i hate they way they look anyway.

I just dont want to spend $250 for a good kit and then have problems with them. Does this spring switch mod disable the headlights turning on for the vechicle exit and entry too?
270 bucks for a full retrofit. Or you can be a dick and blind everyone on the road and ruin your light output and have to hack up your car to get them to work. And they will be illegal as well. You hate how projectors look?? Seriously?? Obviously you didn't look at that website. Because even a ls460 retrofit would be around 700. And you don't get better than that. And denso makes ballasts for Toyota and Lexus. Not Panasonic. Do some more research.

Also there is a huge reason to have projectors. You need them when you put aftermarket HID in a car.

And yea. The spring mod will stop the headlights from turning on until you use the switch to turn them on.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

I just did this, the mechanism is pretty complex but I got it figured out, took about 20 minutes to figure it all out, It appears that this all completely disabled all automatic lights including DRL's and the entry & exit lights which is what i need for HID's. and the headlights dont even flash when I lock the car so it's perfect. I took pictures inside the switch, I will post them up tonight when I have time with more of an explanation of how to do it.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I guess my question would be WHY?

personally I think all vehicles should come with auto headlights, far to often I see retards driving around in the dead of night with no lights on because they are clueless idiots.

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 11-11-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
I just did this, the mechanism is pretty complex but I got it figured out, took about 20 minutes to figure it all out, It appears that this all completely disabled all automatic lights including DRL's and the entry & exit lights which is what i need for HID's. and the headlights dont even flash when I lock the car so it's perfect. I took pictures inside the switch, I will post them up tonight when I have time with more of an explanation of how to do it.
Even though a quality set of HIDs would have worked without doing any of this?? Lol. Stop buying cheap junk and stop being lazy and you won't have issues.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
I guess my question would be WHY?
Because people want to bypass safety features of their cars or don't want to do stuff the right way. I don't get it either. I can get rid of DRL or move them on even a Canadian camaro in about 15 minutes with less than 15 bucks in parts.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #27
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
guess my question would be WHY?

personally I think all vehicles should come with auto headlights, far to often I see retards driving around in the dead of night with no lights on because they are clueless idiots

I agree - Too many morons drive in the dark with the DRLs on!
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

I noticed that if you turn the switch to the auto posistion it's still turning on the automatic lights. Also if you have the lights on and turn them to the off posistion the parking lights stay on and the warning chime sound even when you exit the car and lock the doors, you have to cycle the switch back to the auto posistion and back off again to get the parking lights to turn off.

For anyone wondering what's inside the switch, first of all the knob comes off when you remove the back. There are 4 tabs that align to orientate the knob on the switch. there is a dot on the knob that indicates it's posistion, this should line up with the automatic mode as it was when you started. The spring is the coiled steel piece around the knob. I only cut the last 1/4" off, I probably should have cut more of the spring off, I tried removing the whole thing in 1 piece but it wouldnt come off.

Then this light piece may fall of on you like it did me, it took a few minutes to figure out how it went back on