Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #57
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
So here is one that has kind of had me hanging on decisions for a while..

I want to do a cam.. I am on a budget and it is not a DD.. I do not plan to race every Friday night.. I do enjoy the thought of what a cam will add.

Now to my concern.. The budget. I know a dyno tune is the way to go no doubt. So in your all out most honest answer.. How much of a difference can a dyno tune make vs. working closely with a tuner remotely with logs or dialing it yourself on the street? I mean the ECM does have room for adjustments and will take control to some degree. I just don't know what the ins and outs of it come down to like tip in.. idle.. cruise.. etc where a dyno would make that much of a difference in drivability or power difference.

Mainly from a cost perspective.. Is there that much of a difference? I'm looking at locally probably the best shop near me would cost about $600 to $650 for that alone. That really starts to add up and puts the project on hold.

I already purchased a SCT through a member you may recall that could not use it who purchased from you and it was the same as getting from you which you did a incredible job for a bolt on tune. Would this kind of support be something you do for those that did purchase the SCT even if they did the cam on their own and had their own parts?
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:30 AM   #58
Gonzo SS

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Hey Steve, I have a daily driver LS3 M6 with a CAI, ported throttle body, and resonator delete w/axle back. I plan to add LT headers down the road and possibly a cam after that. My question is, will I see some gains getting a tune from you now or should I wait until after the headers? If I do it now, what is the cost of retunes after headers and then again after cam? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Gonzo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #59
dynosteve
Dyno Tuner & Calibrator

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
So here is one that has kind of had me hanging on decisions for a while..

I want to do a cam.. I am on a budget and it is not a DD.. I do not plan to race every Friday night.. I do enjoy the thought of what a cam will add.

Now to my concern.. The budget. I know a dyno tune is the way to go no doubt. So in your all out most honest answer.. How much of a difference can a dyno tune make vs. working closely with a tuner remotely with logs or dialing it yourself on the street? I mean the ECM does have room for adjustments and will take control to some degree. I just don't know what the ins and outs of it come down to like tip in.. idle.. cruise.. etc where a dyno would make that much of a difference in drivability or power difference.

Mainly from a cost perspective.. Is there that much of a difference? I'm looking at locally probably the best shop near me would cost about $600 to $650 for that alone. That really starts to add up and puts the project on hold.

I already purchased a SCT through a member you may recall that could not use it who purchased from you and it was the same as getting from you which you did a incredible job for a bolt on tune. Would this kind of support be something you do for those that did purchase the SCT even if they did the cam on their own and had their own parts?

a dyno tune will always be the best option as we can see instant results from tuning changes and we see and feel alot more driving a vehicle on the dyno compared to doing email tunes with data logs and customers feedback. At the end of the day you are one of our customers and we are always here to help you get your vehicle performing to its best

RDP Store www.rdpstore.com
Shop 440 358 5500
Cell 440 251 8571

Kooks ARH Stainless Power ACT Aeroforce Kooks Husky Anderson K&N GForce SCT Edelbrock Whipple Magnuson Rotofab CAI Fore DSS Mishimoto Borla Magnaflow Corsa Trutrac EBC
dynosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #60
dynosteve
Dyno Tuner & Calibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo SS View Post
Hey Steve, I have a daily driver LS3 M6 with a CAI, ported throttle body, and resonator delete w/axle back. I plan to add LT headers down the road and possibly a cam after that. My question is, will I see some gains getting a tune from you now or should I wait until after the headers? If I do it now, what is the cost of retunes after headers and then again after cam? Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Hi Sir

Yes you will certainly see gains with tuning the current modifications and if you buy the sct programmer from us sir you get lifetime tune updates for free so when you do the camshaft installation all you have to do is email me with the new modifications and i will write a new tune for you and email it back sir.

Shop 440 358 5500
Cell 440 251 8571

Kooks ARH Stainless Power ACT Aeroforce Kooks Husky Anderson K&N GForce SCT Edelbrock Whipple Magnuson Rotofab CAI Fore DSS Mishimoto Borla Magnaflow Corsa Trutrac EBC
Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #61
InfernoB

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS L99 Blk with IOM pkg.
Gains with Highflow Cats (OEM Factory Manifolds) vs Gains with Tunning for HFCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
I thought it was time to create a section where Camaro5 Members here can ask questions and have a discussion on items that your needing information on or product comparisons or just general how to's or Performance related questions.

This Section also welcomes input from any members here that also wish to help out fellow forum members with questions that they are looking to have answered or suggestions on future upgrades or performance results.

Question about 2011 Camaro SS L99...

Currently Running Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback, (Kept L99 OEM Resonator); Cold Air Inductions CAI; Motiv High Flow Cat Assemblies; GM 3.91 with GM Calibration.

With the above listed modifications, do you think my tune needs to be adjusted? I did not get any CELs. I am just curious to know if there is any REAL gain to be made with those mods if I decided to purchase your Tune?

Frankly, the ONLY mods that I actually "FELT"... were the 3.91 gears & the Motive High Flow Cats, which were the last addition - (Cats). The CAI and Axleback changed up the sound nicely; however, it wasn't until I added the High Flow Cats that I really noticed that the car actually performed better. The Cats were a noticeable improvement even AFTER the 3.91s... (Much Louder too)!

I am under the impression that it's not necessary to tune for HF Cats and OEM manifolds, unless you get a CEL? However, would your tune yield more performance from the HF Cats themselves... in addition to the other modifictions? Or is your Tune the real source of the gains? What type of HP/TRQ increase would you estimate over stock... 15-20 to the wheels?

Lastly, I do have a Diablo Sport Intune I1000 that was recently given to me by a friend that totaled his chevy truck. He was able to restore the his tune; the device is unlocked. I have not used it yet. Do you use the CMR software or specifically the SCT software? Considering my current mods, is there any advantage to being tuned with one over the other? The ONLY other mod that I am considering is the Air Scoop and windshield washer relocation kit for the CAI; will it help increase the gain questioned above?

Thanks!
InfernoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #62
dynosteve
Dyno Tuner & Calibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoB View Post
Question about 2011 Camaro SS L99...

Currently Running Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback, (Kept L99 OEM Resonator); Cold Air Inductions CAI; Motiv High Flow Cat Assemblies; GM 3.91 with GM Calibration.

With the above listed modifications, do you think my tune needs to be adjusted? I did not get any CELs. I am just curious to know if there is any REAL gain to be made with those mods if I decided to purchase your Tune?

Frankly, the ONLY mods that I actually "FELT"... were the 3.91 gears & the Motive High Flow Cats, which were the last addition - (Cats). The CAI and Axleback changed up the sound nicely; however, it wasn't until I added the High Flow Cats that I really noticed that the car actually performed better. The Cats were a noticeable improvement even AFTER the 3.91s... (Much Louder too)!

I am under the impression that it's not necessary to tune for HF Cats and OEM manifolds, unless you get a CEL? However, would your tune yield more performance from the HF Cats themselves... in addition to the other modifictions? Or is your Tune the real source of the gains? What type of HP/TRQ increase would you estimate over stock... 15-20 to the wheels?

Lastly, I do have a Diablo Sport Intune I1000 that was recently given to me by a friend that totaled his chevy truck. He was able to restore the his tune; the device is unlocked. I have not used it yet. Do you use the CMR software or specifically the SCT software? Considering my current mods, is there any advantage to being tuned with one over the other? The ONLY other mod that I am considering is the Air Scoop and windshield washer relocation kit for the CAI; will it help increase the gain questioned above?

Thanks!
Yes sir it most certainly needs a tune and it will make a great difference in performance and yes i can certainly tune using the dibalosport programmer sir.

Shop 440 358 5500
Cell 440 251 8571

Old 12-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #63
Gonzo SS

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
Hi Sir

Yes you will certainly see gains with tuning the current modifications and if you buy the sct programmer from us sir you get lifetime tune updates for free so when you do the camshaft installation all you have to do is email me with the new modifications and i will write a new tune for you and email it back sir.
Thanks for the quick response. Sounds good. What is the cost of the programmer. Any holiday specials going on right now?

Gonzo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #64
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
a dyno tune will always be the best option as we can see instant results from tuning changes and we see and feel alot more driving a vehicle on the dyno compared to doing email tunes with data logs and customers feedback. At the end of the day you are one of our customers and we are always here to help you get your vehicle performing to its best
Thanks Steve.. undecided overall and have a interest in the HP Tuner Pro.. if you do stock or can get one maybe in combination of working with you may be the way I go when the time comes.. If I were closer to you I would be on your Dyno .. Let me know pricing on a HP Pro if that is something you work with. No rush..

Happy Holidays to you.. thanks for all your help.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #65
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
...........still interested in a price on an Edge stall converter 3400-3600

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #66
cconn

Drives: 2013 Silver 2SS/RS M6
Just ordered an SCT X4. Thanks for the great price. Looking forward to seeing how the tune runs on the car.

2013 Silver 2SS RS M6. Kooks ceramic coated headers and HF cats, K&N CAI, Tuned by East Texas Musclecars.
2015 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax LTZ Z71
cconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #67
Adamadem

Drives: Saturn
Decel Pop and Drone

Hello Steve,

I am having long tubes and high flow cats installed along with a z/28 cold air intake. Will I hear an increase in drone to my NPP stock catback? Also, I like the current amount of decel pop and burble the car makes. I've heard it will increase. Is there a way to keep it the same amount the car currently makes?
Adamadem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #68
G701LE

I am returning my pan since B&M won't work with me on price. I will order through you since you beat their price. Will you give me a quote so I can order ASAP? It's for the bm trans deep pan.

Mods = Not enough....
Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #69
G701LE

You should have no drone with AFM tuned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamadem View Post
Hello Steve,

I am having long tubes and high flow cats installed along with a z/28 cold air intake. Will I hear an increase in drone to my NPP stock catback? Also, I like the current amount of decel pop and burble the car makes. I've heard it will increase. Is there a way to keep it the same amount the car currently makes?

Mods = Not enough....
Old 12-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #70
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamadem View Post
Hello Steve,

Most drone comes from messing with the resonators/mufflers. You arent doing either so you should be fine
504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rdp dynosteve question