Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #99
BAD436Z28

Drives: hugger orange 80 camaro,needs total
clearcoated the roof didnt like how it came out originally,also got one door completely straight and in primer man u would believe how many hours i have into that one door.LOL,also got my inner fenders installed,but had a change of plans,i think im gonna do the subframe in por15 black and all the yellow parts dont think it looks as good as i hoped for with the blue.tell me what u guys think,but them blue fenders surely made my engine pop.also thinking of painting my radiator core,cobalt blue.

By bad436z28 at 2012-06-14

BAD436Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #100
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I love this build man!

Hey couple things. I like the blue inner wells. Is the accent color under the hood going to be yellow like the suspension parts? The reason I ask is if you're going to add the original vinyl graphics to the outside, maybe you could bring those colors under the hood and onto the wheel wells if you're not sure. It might help to tie it all together. Let me know if you need help visualizing something. I'd be happy to Photoshop something up for you.

Also, I noticed your headers. I know there's a lot more room under the 79 hood than the 68, but when I first put my engine in the 68 with the headers, I was heat soaking starters like they were throw aways parts. I eventually went with a high performance starter to fix that problem, but it didn't help the placement of some of the wires from the starter and they basically sit right on the header. Well sort of.

Yesterday I pulled the whole works apart And re-insulated the wires so there is some protection to those wires. I used a combination of header wrap and an old Fiberglas starter wrap that I had laying around.

Here's my point: be careful when you wire it up and triple check your clearance from the starter wires in relation to the header. By the time I noticed the challenge, I had already had all my pipes bent and on the car and really couldn't make a change without shitcanning the whole exhaust system. Also the high performance start is a must with headers. (Plus it sounds cool as hell when I start it up.)

It was my first real ground up build and probably a novice mistake, but it still gives me fits from time to time because eventually the extra insulation I put on the wires melts up and I'm back to square one.

Just wanted to share in case.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #101
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
I love this build man!

Hey couple things. I like the blue inner wells. Is the accent color under the hood going to be yellow like the suspension parts? The reason I ask is if you're going to add the original vinyl graphics to the outside, maybe you could bring those colors under the hood and onto the wheel wells if you're not sure. It might help to tie it all together. Let me know if you need help visualizing something. I'd be happy to Photoshop something up for you.

Also, I noticed your headers. I know there's a lot more room under the 79 hood than the 68, but when I first put my engine in the 68 with the headers, I was heat soaking starters like they were throw aways parts. I eventually went with a high performance starter to fix that problem, but it didn't help the placement of some of the wires from the starter and they basically sit right on the header. Well sort of.

Yesterday I pulled the whole works apart And re-insulated the wires so there is some protection to those wires. I used a combination of header wrap and an old Fiberglas starter wrap that I had laying around.

Here's my point: be careful when you wire it up and triple check your clearance from the starter wires in relation to the header. By the time I noticed the challenge, I had already had all my pipes bent and on the car and really couldn't make a change without shitcanning the whole exhaust system. Also the high performance start is a must with headers. (Plus it sounds cool as hell when I start it up.)

It was my first real ground up build and probably a novice mistake, but it still gives me fits from time to time because eventually the extra insulation I put on the wires melts up and I'm back to square one.

Just wanted to share in case.

Thanks for listening.
I'm in Arizona and the temps are real hot. I had heat soak problems with my 79z28 with headers and tryed lots of things. The best thing I found to do is a inexpensive Remote Starter Solenoid Mod.

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm
or look at this one from Super Chevy
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...fix/index.html

....never had a starter problem after that.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #102
BAD436Z28

thx rpomeroy i would love for you to do some photoshopping for me,god i wish i knew how to do that,yeah im gonna be going with the silver and charcoal original graphics and think it would be sweet to bring that under the hood too,im trying my best to be able to use my stock hood there my favorite and would go awesome with the silver graphics on it.if not i have a 4 inch cowl hood but not a very nice one,also been thinking maybe some of the ss rally stripes might look cool on there,maybe u could photo shop some of them to see if it would look ok.maybe some white or silver stripes would look good.im gonna be getting rid of the yellow parts,been thinking of painting them flat black or maybe a charcoal metallic like the z28 graphics.i think it would be awesome if u could do some photoshop for me,i clould never thank u enough and i surely would appreciate it more than you know.thanks a million.

yeah i have a CVR high torque mini starter on my engine,and still theres not alot of room between the starter and the headers or the wires,maybe 3 inches the wires sre from the headersi have the metal guard covering the wires like it came from the factory,but i think ur idea is awesome,im gonna have to try that wrapping them in header wrap i think is a great idea.really dont like how close the wires are to the headers.thx for the great tip.yeah if i had a stock starter my wires would surely probably be against the headers not a good thing.

thx rpomeroy for all the good tips u have given me on my build and i look forward to ur replies all the time,its one of the things that makes me wanna do the best job i can dont want to let anyone down,just trying to do the best job i can with the resources and budget i have.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #103
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Glad to do it! I'll look through the current pic's to see if they can be used to get a good visual. If you're able, put up a good engine bay shot and I'll take it from there. Also, as soon as you have the hood put back in place, grab a shot of that too.

You're doing a great job and sharing the experience with fellow enthusiasts helps to make all the work that hard work worthwhile through the process. Keep up the great work and we'll be here for you!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #104
BAD436Z28

thx rpomeroy that means alot to me,more than u know,im just glad someone is enjoying my build that makes it all worth while.tonight i will try to get a really good shot of the engine bay,im gonna be installing the carb.just gotta reinstall the inner fenders,thx so much.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #105
BAD436Z28

had a good night working on my car lastnight,bot my th350 all installed,just gotta bolt up the torque convertor and drive shaft,but wanna put all new u joints in my drive shaft first,i cheated i pulled my engine an inner fenders off then bolted the tranny to engine outside the car and installed them together went in like a dream didnt even need to pull the tranny crossmember.just nee to do some research to figure out a good shifter for it,and if i need to remove the 4 speed hump.i wanna be able to use my auto center counsel.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #106
BAD436Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsadryheat79 View Post
I'm in Arizona and the temps are real hot. I had heat soak problems with my 79z28 with headers and tryed lots of things. The best thing I found to do is a inexpensive Remote Starter Solenoid Mod.

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm
or look at this one from Super Chevy
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...fix/index.html

....never had a starter problem after that.
thx its a dry heat,i enjoyed reading them articles i think its a great idea,u could also isall a bump starter to it when ur trying to time ur engine,i like the idea of a remote starter selinoid.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #107
BAD436Z28

felt good to finally be able to take the engine hoist off my engine,so last night i pulled the intake and cleaned all the old gasket off,just gotta wait for my new gasket to come,also installed my holley 750 hp and throttle bracket on the intake,good news,looks like im gonna have enough clearance to run my stock hood,tell me what u guys think,i love the stock hood the best.

By bad436z28 at 2012-06-20

Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #108
rabidcat77
Yankee of the South

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
Looking good man, I had a blue '79 Z28 that I did some light resto work on while I was in college. Seeing the pics of your rebuild take me back - I'm feeling all nostalgic for that car I had now. Yours is going to look really great when it is done, Keep at it!!!

2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT/Z71 4x4

2014 Acura RDX AWD/Tech
rabidcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #109
itsadryheat79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD436Z28 View Post
thx its a dry heat,i enjoyed reading them articles i think its a great idea,u could also isall a bump starter to it when ur trying to time ur engine,i like the idea of a remote starter selinoid.
Bump start is a good idea!

Another thing I did with this mod is wire in a starter defeat switch as well so no one could start the car even if they had a key -- like the kids!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #110
BAD436Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsadryheat79 View Post
Bump start is a good idea!

Another thing I did with this mod is wire in a starter defeat switch as well so no one could start the car even if they had a key -- like the kids!
yeah thats a great idea,i also have a hidden kill switch under back bumper that cuts all power,and my battery is mounted in the trunk,not sure how to wire in a starter defeat switch though.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #111
BAD436Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidcat77 View Post
Looking good man, I had a blue '79 Z28 that I did some light resto work on while I was in college. Seeing the pics of your rebuild take me back - I'm feeling all nostalgic for that car I had now. Yours is going to look really great when it is done, Keep at it!!!
thx rabidcat77 i appreciate it,glad it brought back memories of ur blue one,thats my favorite color in the 79 z28,did it have blue stripes or the silver and black ones,im going with silver and black stripes.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #112
itsadryheat79

Start Defeat Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD436Z28 View Post
yeah thats a great idea,i also have a hidden kill switch under back bumper that cuts all power,and my battery is mounted in the trunk,not sure how to wire in a starter defeat switch though.
The switch keeps the solenoid from turning on here is a pic with it wired so everything seems to work except starting. You could put it on the ignition Start Mode side if you wanted to.

[IMG][/IMG]