Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #29
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Did you yourself not check your own oil? It's states so in the manual to do so every time you fill up.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #30
RAMTechRob

Drives: 2016 Camaro White 1LT
Dang, I didn't know we had to check the oil every fill up. Back to 1914 with that line. Good thing I have. Catch can for storing extra oil if I need it.
RAMTechRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #31
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
Dang, I didn't know we had to check the oil every fill up. Back to 1914 with that line. Good thing I have. Catch can for storing extra oil if I need it.
Preventative measures.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #32
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I would see if gm is willing to repair it. If not, get a mechanic to put in a salvaged engine from the junk yard.

I think because of your ECM, you're stuck getting another LLT
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #33
ron123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancaesq12 View Post
I would appreciate any input on this issue.

My 2010 Camaro has a blown engine and I believe it was due to excessive oil consumption. My car has about 82,000 miles and I am out of warranty by time and not mileage. I had just taken my car for an oil change on April 15th and when the car broke down the dipstick showed no oil.
You left out key information in your brief summary that is important as a start for diagnosis:
a) You mention "when" you had the oil changed but there is no mention of how many miles you put on the car since that oil change. "When" makes no difference in this issue ... it is miles driven since the last oil change that matters.

b) How much oil should be put in your v6, per the Owners Manual? Is it six quarts? Did you look at the service record to see if it documents how many quarts they added? Maybe the service department just dumped in one gallon and forgot to top it off ... e.g. not realizing it needed 6 quarts for the Camaro V6?

c) After the engine failure did you drain the pan to see how much oil was left in the engine at that point and time? Information on how much oil actually remained in the engine at the point it failed, is very important. (Also good to save the oil for analysis).

d) What is your "normal" oil consumption history per 1,000 miles? Based on this figure and info from "a", "b", and "c" above you may be able to determine if it would be expected to fail due to low level ... or if there must have been some catastrophic event in the engine that triggered the problem.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #34
blancaesq12

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
You left out key information in your brief summary that is important as a start for diagnosis:
a) You mention "when" you had the oil changed but there is no mention of how many miles you put on the car since that oil change. "When" makes no difference in this issue ... it is miles driven since the last oil change that matters.

b) How much oil should be put in your v6, per the Owners Manual? Is it six quarts? Did you look at the service record to see if it documents how many quarts they added? Maybe the service department just dumped in one gallon and forgot to top it off ... e.g. not realizing it needed 6 quarts for the Camaro V6?

c) After the engine failure did you drain the pan to see how much oil was left in the engine at that point and time? Information on how much oil actually remained in the engine at the point it failed, is very important. (Also good to save the oil for analysis).

d) What is your "normal" oil consumption history per 1,000 miles? Based on this figure and info from "a", "b", and "c" above you may be able to determine if it would be expected to fail due to low level ... or if there must have been some catastrophic event in the engine that triggered the problem.
a) I drove about 2,500 miles. The mileage when It had the last oil change was 79,383 and it was 81,884 when the engine failed.

b) I would have to look at the service record. I do plan to go to the Service Department and challenge them to see if it was an oil change gone wrong.

c) FYI I am a woman. I have not touched the car for the reason that I wanted to challenge this. All I know is that the dipstick had nothing.

d) I have no idea. Again, I am a poor chick trying to seek advice from this forum. I accept all constructive criticism.

All I want is input. I just want to see if after being a loyal customer to this Dealership and Service Department , that they would help this sister out and do the tear down as courtesy.
blancaesq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #35
blancaesq12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
I would see if gm is willing to repair it. If not, get a mechanic to put in a salvaged engine from the junk yard.

I think because of your ECM, you're stuck getting another LLT
If GM is not willing to repair it I will look into putting a salvaged engine. Thank you! 👍🏻
Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 AM   #36
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
Do all the Camaros not have a low oil indicator light? I have a 2013 2SS and am wondering. I'll have to start checking mine.

I agree on extended warranties - they are evil. I got one once and tried to use it a few times. First time took multiple phone calls and discovered a nice good sized deductible that the salesman didn't mention (shame on me for not reading the paperwork more closely). Never, ever again. Ever. That $1500 spent would have paid for a lot of repairs.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:54 AM   #37
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
🤔is this serious advice or sarcasm?
Actually, quite serious. I mean, maybe omit the crying, but I think you have a good case for someone to make an exception. You are barely out of warranty, and have always had your car serviced there.

I know rules are rules, but business makes up those rules so people don't abuse the system. You are a very good customer, and that counts for a lot... for most businesses. They can always bend the rules. Actually paying for half is a start in the right direction, but that doesn't cost them half, they are just forgoing some of the profit to hopefully make you happy.

Ask for more. They can only say no. Remind them it's getting time for you to possibly buy another car, and a failed engine isn't doing much for your confidence in GM...

This isn't your fault. If it was loosing oil between changes, that's on them to let you know...

JMHO
Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 AM   #38
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Sorry to hear about the Camaro, Man. Here's a couple of things, you need to check anything painted yellow, this is an industry standard as yellow stands for 'caution', in this case 'user serviceable items'. Your dipsticks are yellow, engine oil, and automatic transmission fluid. Lift off the engine cover after removing the oil cap. Look for the steering fluid reservoir, that cap is yellow too. Look for the coolant cap, yellow too; this is where you put your coolant. Don't worry about your standard transmission(stick) it's good at 50-100k I think, double check if you're worried about it or if you smell burnt 90 weight oil or if you are running rough. That's a smell you'll never forget, just like hydraulic fluid. I've ridden enough buses to know that smell. Look at your oil before you take off, after won't help you won't get an accurate reading. Same with the coolant. Better to check it cold, be very careful if you check it hot, Use a rag and wear a leather glove if you can, remember it will be under pressure. Turn the cap to the first notch and let it depressurize just have your hand over the cap incase it blows or sprays with steam. You can check the steering, automatic transmission, and brake fluid before or after you go somewhere. Also make sure your car is ready before you go on a long trip.

So the loan is still got $3500.00? You gonna sell it? Way I see it, you got two options. 1. Sell it. 2. Keep it. You decide to sell it. Okay, who would buy a vehicle with a blown engine? You decide to keep it. Okay you pay it off, still got a blown engine. I don't see anywhere you aren't rebuilding the engine. But here's the good news, you rebuild it or repair it now you got a 2010 and it has a brand new engine. It's like a BRAND NEW 2010 CAMARO! Your new engine has 0 miles on it! And the best part is, like you said, GM picks up half the tab! So it's like getting a brand new car for 1/2 the price of a new engine, if the block is good, you didn't throw a rod or anything rebuild it if the jacket is still intact.

Also if they did the oil change, and emptied the oil, put on a filter and put the plug back in, just forgetting the oil, I could see that. Did you check it after the oil change? Did you check it for leaks and the oil level? Maybe they cross-threaded oil pan bolt. They did that to my nephew, wound up costing his dad $850.00 parts and labor for a new oil pan. That could have happened to anyone. My point is that driving without oil from the get go would show signs of wear and tear. If a gasket blew suddenly it probably wouldn't show any wear and tear, or considerably less. How long did it take for the engine to blow after the oil change?

Looks to me like you have some decisions to make. Hope all goes well!
Troy
Old 06-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #39
blancaesq12

I posted this thread to get advice and different opinions. I know I definitely have some decisions to make. Luckily since I was one of the "lucky"ones to have hail damage out here in SAn Antonio TX, I have a nice check to pay off my car and to either decide to replace rhe engine or buy a new car. I just wanted to make one last attempt at having the Dealership and Service Department to offer some assistance. If it was an oil change got wrong I feel that they can do more to help. Also, were they not monitoring the oil consumption? The issue is that I still have to fix the body and have a new paint job. I had considerable hail damage.

I didnt check the oil after the oil change. We checked under the vehicle and there are no signs of a hole in the oil pan. I drove about 2,500 miles between the the oil change and when the engine blew.

Also my brother offered to buy the car and fix it for himself. I am very attached to my car but maybe it is time to let it go. I am just weighing all my options at this point.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #40
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Very sorry to hear about your situation. Living in San Antonio and belonging to the local Camaro Club I have heard two other stories that are almost exactly like yours. These owners took their V-6 Camaro's in for an oil change at Freedom Chevrolet and within a week of service their engines seized. Both times the dealer stated that the engines failed due to lack of oil.

Not trying to bash the dealership but this is a perfect example of why you should check your fluids even if your car is serviced by GM or local mechanic. I hope everything works out for you.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #41
ron123

Quote:
... extracts from previous posts:
FYI
I admit I don't check my oil. "Women" Typical.

I was one of the "lucky" ones to have hail damage out here in SAn Antonio TX, I have a nice check to pay off my car and to either decide to replace the engine or buy a new car.

My brother and dad are auto techs and are willing to put a new engine but I wanted to try the GM route because it would be a new engine.

Also my brother offered to buy the car and fix it for himself.
At this point it is still unknown if the car was run with little or no oil or the engine was defective (did your Auto Tech Dad or Brother take a look at it?).
From stated facts above (severe hail damage and severe engine damage) ... maybe sell the car to your brother, per your suggestion ...
Then buy a fully electric vehicle as replacement (not hybrid) since you do not ever check the oil level or have anyone do that for you (service station attendants use to perform that oil check for free when they filled up the tank) .
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #42
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
OP That's too bad. Since you still owe some you got full coverage auto insurance right. Cant you get your insurance to cover it?

Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine, oil consumption, warranty problem engine