Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Mishimoto Oil Cooler Question

Over last winter, I installed a Mishimoto Oil Cooler kit for this year's track season to help combat the heat these engines build, plus loaded her up with AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30.
The last track day was the first real test of the cooler.
It was a 97 degree afternoon and after the first lapping session,
I rolled in the pits with the needle at the 265-275 degree mark (the tick mark between the 210 and 320) on the factory gauge and the oil pressure at about 12-15psi (the tick mark between 0 and 30) while idling to cool off.
Looks like no change in temps and that's the lowest I have seen my oil pressure.
Granted, as it cooled down, the pressure came back to about normal, plus the last 2 sessions were in the cooler evening hours and the temps were cooler all around.
However, the oil pressure has seemed to settle at a lower reading when at normal temps ever since, around 18-20psi.

Anyone with a Mishimoto or any other oil cooler for that matter hit those temps on a hot day at the track?
Trying to see if this kit is its doing its job and if I hurt anything at those temps.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
If you are using the factory temp gauge the reading could be off. I have heard this is not a "real" temp but is calculated.

A slightly lower oil pressure with Amsoil is not unheard of. It has a lower pour rating than some other oils.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
If you are using the factory temp gauge the reading could be off. I have heard this is not a "real" temp but is calculated.

A slightly lower oil pressure with Amsoil is not unheard of. It has a lower pour rating than some other oils.
This. The OE oil temp info at the driver's info center on the dash is a calculated #.

I installed an Autometer digital oil temp gauge when I removed my OE cooler and installed the Mishi kit. In July I had 294* after 12 minutes at Pitt Race. I removed that cooler and installed an Improved Racing 3 pass cooler. Problem solved, I've been seeing oil temps max out at 219*. See my build thread for more info.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You’re probably also loosing pressure due to the increased oil capacity as well, I looked at the Mishimoto kit but could build one cheaper through Improved Racing an I’m totally satisfied with it.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
Trawz

Thanks for the info guys. I figured both the 4 pack oil pressure and temp were both calculated and not real time, but I had to be sure.
Definitely need to get actual gauges, but I hate the extra clutter of pod gauges.
I wish there was a way to flash the infotainment screen to show real time data.

I went with AMSOIL because they are regarded as the gold standard.
With the summer track season, I wanted the best protection i could get.
Didn't know i would see slightly lower pressure with it as well. Thanks for that info.

As for the Mishimoto kit, I got it for $215 new during a flash sale they had on cyber Monday. Its currently priced at $575.
Couldn't say no to over 60% off! Figured it would be a safe add-on for longevity.
However, I am not sure how effective it as been and not the biggest fan of the oil filter sandwich plate it uses to tap into the system.
Been looking at options that replace the factory "oil cooler" block with a plate with AN fittings instead.
I'll defiantly look into the Improved Racing option.

Thanks again guys! Always helpful.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #6
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I figured both the 4 pack oil pressure and temp were both calculated and not real time, but I had to be sure.
Definitely need to get actual gauges, but I hate the extra clutter of pod gauges.
I wish there was a way to flash the infotainment screen to show real time data.

I went with AMSOIL because they are regarded as the gold standard.
With the summer track season, I wanted the best protection i could get.
Didn't know i would see slightly lower pressure with it as well. Thanks for that info.

As for the Mishimoto kit, I got it for $215 new during a flash sale they had on cyber Monday. Its currently priced at $575.
Couldn't say no to over 60% off! Figured it would be a safe add-on for longevity.
However, I am not sure how effective it as been and not the biggest fan of the oil filter sandwich plate it uses to tap into the system.
Been looking at options that replace the factory "oil cooler" block with a plate with AN fittings instead.
I'll defiantly look into the Improved Racing option.

Thanks again guys! Always helpful.
I have the mishimoto oil cooler myself and I didn't care for the sandwich plate either and used an earls block in place of factory oil cooler myself. used part #ls0013erl which comes with a 180* t-stat. it all bolted up fine with the mishimoto hoses with no issues and all seems well so far. earls makes a block with no t-stat also if you wanted to go that route.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
Trawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter18155 View Post
I have the mishimoto oil cooler myself and I didn't care for the sandwich plate either and used an earls block in place of factory oil cooler myself. used part #ls0013erl which comes with a 180* t-stat. it all bolted up fine with the mishimoto hoses with no issues and all seems well so far. earls makes a block with no t-stat also if you wanted to go that route.
I saw that! Was wondering if it would be easy to adapt to my Mishimoto kit and you obviously did it.
I wonder how much of a PITA it is to replace the factory cooling block.
Did you remove the entire factory system or just the block?
Old 09-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
I saw that! Was wondering if it would be easy to adapt to my Mishimoto kit and you obviously did it.
I wonder how much of a PITA it is to replace the factory cooling block.
Did you remove the entire factory system or just the block?
You remove the entire system. You will need coolant block off plug for the engine block. A 2010-11 model car will need a 2012-15 upper radiator hose (easiest way I found to eliminate the t in middle of hose for coolant to oil cooler) the 2012-15 cars has coolant supply connection at bottom of radiator instead of the coolant hose in earlier models so you will either need a bolt or cap for that (not sure which I have 2010 so I had to do hose). So there is some work involved but nothing that can’t be done yourself if you got some patience to deal with the bolts that are hard to get to etc.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
Scooter18155

Here is a good post I used for reference. Even has links for what you need. Note that he just eliminated the oil cooler so he used a oil block off plate instead of oil supply block you would most likely use. You will see at the end of the thread the size hex bit you will need for the coolant block off plug needed for the block

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434875