Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
rdavis

Drives: 2012 SS
Wideband A/F guage

I was wondering that since my rear O2s are turned off, could I use one of t the bungs for a wideband O2 sensor, or is it too far down stream. I do not have cats at the moment. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Most widebands will tell you in the installation instructions where they prefer to be placed. Like 18-30 inches downstream for example. I think that second bung may be too far. I had one welded in a few inches before my first o2 sensor inside the header collector, and slightly offset so it didn't block the airflow of the stock one.

It only cost me $40 for the weld job.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:28 AM   #3
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I have the same question about using the o2 sensor location for the wideband. I'm also catless with long tube headers.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
I have the same question about using the o2 sensor location for the wideband. I'm also catless with long tube headers.
If you're installing a wideband, it's to accurately monitor the combustion mixture as it's exiting the cylinder. As the gas flows through the system it continues to react and begins to condense. If you do not install the sensor where it is designed to be placed you are not reading the gas as it is intended and designed and will not have the accuracy it should. Enough options for an inexpensive installation exist, seems like a silly place to try to cut a corner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:50 AM   #5
StingrayblueSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
If you're installing a wideband, it's to accurately monitor the combustion mixture as it's exiting the cylinder. As the gas flows through the system it continues to react and begins to condense. If you do not install the sensor where it is designed to be placed you are not reading the gas as it is intended and designed and will not have the accuracy it should. Enough options for an inexpensive installation exist, seems like a silly place to try to cut a corner.

Yeah I just thought I'd ask. There aren't many good muffler shops around that I would trust to weld in my car.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Just follow the directions of the manufacturer. You do want to put it in a place where all the gasses from the primaries converge, not just in a single primary. Make sure the sensor is clocked in such a way as to allow condensation from start up to travel away from the sensor, not pool into the sensor.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
The rear O2 sensor bungs are fine and make a great spot for your wideband. If you do decide to add another bung just don't place it on the bottom half the pipe. Water can collect on the bottom and you don't want the sensor facing down if you bottom out.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #8
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
I would not place the sensor downstream it needs accurate temperatures coming Cleanly from the exhaust to provide accurate data, not to mention the potential damage if the cat comes internally apart or the cat is not 100% sealed.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:28 AM   #9
StingrayblueSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-tuned View Post
I would not place the sensor downstream it needs accurate temperatures coming Cleanly from the exhaust to provide accurate data, not to mention the potential damage if the cat comes internally apart or the cat is not 100% sealed.
I don't have cats.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I look at this a couple different ways. The safest thing to do is follow the manufacturer's suggested location in terms of distance downstream. That's what I did. I put mine in the header collector, in front of the HFCs. Since you don't have cats, I see no problem with the sensor being a little bit further back to take advantage of the existing bung(s).

If you don't have a wideband, the dyno tuner will just put the sensor in the end of your tailpipe anyway. That is a lot further back than the rear O2 bung.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
I don't have cats.
Further back you go the longer it takes to heat up irrespective of cats that’s another reason it’s recommended to be placed in the header. The tailpipe installation is useless and the data is unreliable and not 100% true.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

This, is a well written answer Pay attention boys.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:54 AM   #13
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

RIGHT ON POINT!
Old 10-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
That's strange, if all this is true, why do dyno's have a wideband for tuning that fits in the tail pipe? 4 wire sensors are heated so that parts irrelevant. With the exception being the time delay from the engine output until it reads on the gauge, I dont see a disadvantage for installing a few inches farther back. Maybe if you're using it for data logging you might want the fastest response possible.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote