Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
How Long Will It Last?

We all know that the Camaro is coming back and the Challenger is coming back, and the Mustang has been out for a while. All three of those cars are supposed to be "Modern-Retro" cars; meaning they are cars that were made in the 60's and 70's and then went out of style, but are being ressurected. How long do you think this style will last? I mean don't get me wrong, bringing back the old muscle cars is great, I love the Camaro's and Challengers, but I'm tired of seeing a new Challenger with the old R/T stripes running down the side for example. I think that those stripes were meant to be on the older R/T, and should stay that way. They should design new R/T stripes instead. I think Chevy has done a better job, because the new Camaro looks SIMILAR to the old one, but is not just a fat replica. the stripes are different, the grill is different, and the rear lights are different. On the Challenger, everything is almost exactly the same as the old one! Anyways, that was my rant, tell me what you think.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think the Camaro should last longer for 2 reasons. It looks more modern and it will take longer for people to tire of it, and the platform isn't as old. The Challenger is based off of the Charger which is nearly 4 years old now. The Zeta platform for the Camaro only went into production last year so it will be around for a while.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Camaro will last longer than Challenger simply because it's more popular and has more enthusiasts. I think Mustang has the potential to last longer than Camaro because of this same opinion, however GM, I think, has the power to make it appeal and possibly last longer. I'm basing this last opinion on the 4th. Gen. because most anyone can tell you it was less user friendly than Mustang, although WAY more fun to drive.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Actually....I don't think the Challenger was that popular to begin with. When I was growing up it was the Cuda and the Charger that were popular. I think the big deal with the new one was just the SRT8. I don't even know why the Hemi was that big of a deal back in the day because the 440 six-pack was the higher HP motor. I think the vanity will wear off pretty quick on the Challenger. Especially if they don't up the HP to keep up with the Camaro.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
discoteka

Drives: Oramac
Shouldn't the real question be how long will these cars have V8 options?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I think this generation will have a long life comparatively. The Challenger is being made by a company that is constantly in trouble. Ford is going to produce a new Mustang soon based on the current platform, and preliminary images look pretty ugly except for the glass roof. The Camaro is in between the "new" style of the upcoming Mustang and the old style of the Challenger. As the moderate middle, it will last a long time with large success.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
b_pappy

Drives: '00 Corvette, '07 TBSS
I agree, retro should not be an excuse for bad design. The Challenger, while nice enough, looks like Foose did a number to a '71 or so. Where & how does that design evolve? The new Camaro, while retro inspired has room to evolve on it's own. Look at the PT Cruiser, new bug & new Mini, not much to change. I doubt the Challenger will evolve well. The question about the hot rod V8 engines is a better question.
Bruce
b_pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
In my mind the 1st gens never went out of style, and i don't think the 5th gens will either.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
+1
Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
awesome never goes out of style...

thats the problem with people...they can't enjoy living in the moment...always worrying about whats next and never enjoying the now
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Well if history has anything to say about it I would expect to see the Challenger for 2 or 3 years in its current version and then it should become a Mitsubishi Lancer or something like that...
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
the grill is different

personally. i think the grill set up looks almost exactly the same as my strait 78 camaro.
i know the lights are down in the grill area, but cover up some of a pic of the new camaro to where you cant see them, and it looks like my 78.

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #13
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm basing this last opinion on the 4th. Gen. because most anyone can tell you it was less user friendly than Mustang, although WAY more fun to drive.
I actually find my 4th gen very user friendly, way more so then the mustang and far more visually appealing.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #14
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I think this generation will have a long life comparatively. The Challenger is being made by a company that is constantly in trouble. Ford is going to produce a new Mustang soon based on the current platform, and preliminary images look pretty ugly except for the glass roof. The Camaro is in between the "new" style of the upcoming Mustang and the old style of the Challenger. As the moderate middle, it will last a long time with large success.
I was under the impression the glass roof was the "special edition" concept. I don't believe the glass roof will meet federal requirements and crash testing?....plus it would be hot as hell inside

I agree, I don't see the challenger lasting very long. At first I told myself I would purchase a challenger if the camaro feel through...but I still couldnt bring myself to it even if the camaro had fallen through. It just looks so plain and dull, I am sure the interior has a lil more consideration than the charger, but ehhhh. I see the mustang lasting along side the camaro only because it has a faithful base just as the camaro does... and is typically very affordable.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote