Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
davecamaro6

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
SS 1LE coming from BRZ.. what to expect?

Hey everyone! New to the forums as I just picked up a 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE! Loving the car so far and I can't imagine how it will feel once I start taking it to the track. Previous car was a BRZ which I tracked extensively; great car but not enough power from the factory imo.

Anyone driven an SS 1LE and a BRZ? I know the two cars cannot be compared; completely different power, price point, etc. But I am just curious what to expect coming from a BRZ as I probably won't be able to track my car until next summer.

I've also raced competitively in karting (shifter karts, rotax, and tag) since I was 10 (I am now 19). If anyone has done karting before, I would like to hear what made you want a 1LE as well!

davecamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Way more power. Way more torque. More size.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Congrats! What color did you get?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
The 1LE handling is frankly amazing!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Congratulations on your Camaro. What is a BRZ?
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecamaro6 View Post
Hey everyone! New to the forums as I just picked up a 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE! Loving the car so far and I can't imagine how it will feel once I start taking it to the track. Previous car was a BRZ which I tracked extensively; great car but not enough power from the factory imo.

Anyone driven an SS 1LE and a BRZ? I know the two cars cannot be compared; completely different power, price point, etc. But I am just curious what to expect coming from a BRZ as I probably won't be able to track my car until next summer....
Congrats! I had a deposit on a BRZ Limited back when they were first coming out, but after the test drive I decided against the purchase. While it's a nice car, it just doesn't have the magic of a timelessly great car.

I call the SS 1LE a "5/4ths scale Miata" because that's how it feels on-track; benign, approachable, adjustable, and hides its weight brilliantly. You'll find the 1LE is much more benevolent than the 86, especially since it lacks a snap-oversteer tendency. The power, handling, and brakes are very well balanced.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
davecamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Way more power. Way more torque. More size.
Pretty much what I expected

Can't wait! Thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
davecamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
Congrats! What color did you get?
Thanks, I got it in Red Hot!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
davecamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Congrats! I had a deposit on a BRZ Limited back when they were first coming out, but after the test drive I decided against the purchase. While it's a nice car, it just doesn't have the magic of a timelessly great car.

I call the SS 1LE a "5/4ths scale Miata" because that's how it feels on-track; benign, approachable, adjustable, and hides its weight brilliantly. You'll find the 1LE is much more benevolent than the 86, especially since it lacks a snap-oversteer tendency. The power, handling, and brakes are very well balanced.
Completely agree. As much as I liked the BRZ.. I always wanted more power and pointlessly oversteering is not really my cup of tea lol.

The 1LE 2SS is actually a great car to drive everyday as well. A lot of high-tech features that I did not have in the BRZ. It pretty much makes the SS 1LE better in every single way (to be expected), apart from MPG of course . I've already had to fill up three times since I got it last Wednesday (I've also been driving it too much, can't help myself)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
davecamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Mike View Post
Congratulations on your Camaro. What is a BRZ?
Lightweight Japanese sports car. Think S2K with less horsepower or Miata without convertible.. Pretty much sums it up lol. I still loved it however like I do with every car I had. But definitely loving my 1LE more!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #11
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:48 AM   #12
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
SS 1LE coming from BRZ.. what to expect?

I had a 2010 Camaro before getting an FR-S then going crazy by turbocharging it and doing the works in terms of suspension, brake and clutch work before selling it and eventually moving back to the Camaro, this time in 2016 SS guise.

You’re giving up a lot of weight and rather good visibility for a better platform and more power right out the box. In terms of steering feel, I actually think the Camaro has a better steering feel. The FR-S and BRZ tried to recreate that nostalgic feel that the s2000 affords, I also have one of those, and while it gets close it just didn’t quite equal or eclipse it. What the twins lacked in power and that weird midrange torque dip, it made up for you being able to drive it to its maximum potential much more often.

You won’t be able to do that with the Camaro. Driving it anywhere close to its maximum potential will have you on YouTube for infamy purposes.

The Camaro is a vastly better car especially in the SS and definitely the 1LE. While I’ve never driven the turbo 4 Camaro, I’d venture that the Alpha platform alone would give it an advantage over the twins.

All that being said, at some point if my s2000 ever goes the way of the dodo, I’d probably pickup a very used twin just because it’s practically impossible to find the combination of driving purity, low maintenance and fun at such an affordable (in the used market) price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #13
KCelsius

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
I never owned a BRZ but had a few friends that had BRZ/FRS....even one with a supercharged FRS.

I'll beat the dead horse and say the car doesn't have enough power from the factory, but it does also allow you to drive the car closer to its limits. We supercharged my friends' FRS and the car felt WAY better. Really gave it some more punch like a WRX, but more nimble. I came from a 15' WRX and you could really thrash that thing as well.

I've just barely broken in my 1LE but from the 1500 miles or so I've put on, I can tell the potential is higher than the two cars mentioned above. Traction is unreal through corners, chassis stability, and of course, the power is great. I'm still not quite acquainted with the car, so I haven't pushed it too hard yet - plan is to get this thing on the track or autox some time next spring as I've got to put hte car in storage soon. :(
KCelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Looking forward to hopefully crossing paths at a track next year. I've yet to meet in person any other 1LE owners in Ontario who have actually been to one. Where did you track the BRZ?
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 2ss, brz, karting, track