Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
2014 Camaro dash discoloring and key problems

I have had my Camaro for two years now but on the way home from the beach I finally sat down in my passenger seat only to look at my dash and in spots it looks like it's turning white. I always clean my car once a week and put up my sun visor. When I finally got home my key would not come out of the lock cylinder I had to call Chevy to get a locksmith to come out and get my key which all he did was turn the wheel a certain way and muscle it out. Has any one had these issues or is this normal?
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
The key is an issue with some, just move the wheel until your able to remove the key. It may need some lube, I would call the dealer back and have them lubricate it. As for the white dash, take some pics. Have you ever treated it with anything?

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
smokingcamaro

Never treated the dash with anything just Meguiars Supreme Shine Protectant to clean it. So the key problem is a known issue for camaros?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
68rssscamaro

Yes the key is an issue, as for the dash have the dealer look at it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408440

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401624

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30066

Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Keep us updated on the dash, I'd like to know what is causing it.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
smokingcamaro

Well according to the dealership they said that the Camaro's dash should only be treated with a damp cloth not anything else. They think that the Meguiars shine dried it out and is going to make it crack. They also said that this information is in our owners manual but I could not find it. My key got stuck again which took forever to get out, I then called my dealership and was told I needed to clean my key and let the steering wheel rest. I disagreed with my service advisor and demanded I talk with the service manager who told me to come to the dealership and drop it off so that they could duplicate the problem. Well I rolled in and sure enough the key was stuck in the ignition. The service manager thinks that it has nothing to do with the lock cylinder but with my gear shifter. Will keep this post updated as they hopefully fix my problem.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
If they replace the dash, which they should, try using 303 Aerospace Protectant on it. Not a fan of anything else for dash plastics after using it. Cleans the dash perfectly and there's no glare with it either. It's basically sunscreen for the dash
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
68rssscamaro

Your dealer sucks. Go find another one. I think the Camaro would be on this list--I doubt it is the shifter but whatever.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ent-stuck-keys

As for the dash--that is BS if anything it would extend the material and not dry it out.
Dealers, dealers, dealers......Worst part about owning a GM car is it takes years to find the right one!

Interior plastics should be treated at least twice
a year, to clean and protect them. Meguiar’s
Natural Shine contains UV protectants to help
reduce the drying and fading effects of the sun.
To apply this product, spray a small amount
onto an Even Coat Applicator Pad and work across
the panel. Buff off any residue with a Supreme
Shine Microfibre or 100% Cotton Terry Towel.
(Fig.3 and 4)
Modern vehicle interiors are made from many
different materials: Plastic, rubber, leather, fabric,
alcantara, carpet and glass. It is important that
the most appropriate product is used for the
specific surface. A versatile alternative is the
Meguiar’s Quik Interior Detailer which cleans and
protects all interior surfaces. Simply apply to
an Even Coat Applicator Pad and gently work
over the surface. Remove any residue with a
Supreme Shine Microfibre.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
My '10 SS is almost 7 years old now and with 42,000 miles my dash is still like new.
I've never done anything to it but wipe it down once in awhile with a damp cloth.
Using any interior cleaning product on it is a no no imo. As far as the key is concerned,
I know it's been a problem with some her on camaro5.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
68rssscamaro

[QUOTE=myold88;
Using any interior cleaning product on it is a no no imo.[/QUOTE]

Why?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
Why?
I don't know why, but I have seen some hideous results at cruise nights, where there's a preponderance of cars that are subjected to these snake oil products.

They seem to interact with the plastic and not in a uniform way.

I have had beater cars that sit outside all day. I clean their dash with water only, and they never fade or crack.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
information is not in manual?

Instrument Panel, Leather, Vinyl, Other Plastic Surfaces, Low Gloss Paint Surfaces and Natural Open Pore Wood SurfacesUse a soft microfiber cloth dampened with water to remove dust and loose dirt. For a more thorough cleaning, use a soft microfiber cloth dampened with a mild soap solution.
Caution: Soaking or saturating leather, especially perforated leather, as well as other interior surfaces, may cause permanent damage. Wipe excess moisture from these surfaces after cleaning and allow them to dry naturally. Never use heat, steam, or spot removers. Do not use cleaners that contain silicone or wax-based products. Cleaners containing these solvents can permanently change the appearance and feel of leather or soft trim, and are not recommended.

Do not use cleaners that increase gloss, especially on the instrument panel. Reflected glare can decrease visibility through the windshield under certain conditions.

Caution: Use of air fresheners may cause permanent damage to plastics and painted surfaces. If an air freshener comes in contact with any plastic or painted surface in the vehicle, blot immediately and clean with a soft cloth dampened with a mild soap solution. Damage caused by air fresheners would not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

The cleaner you are using is ruining dash>
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
68rssscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night trained View Post
information is not in manual?

Instrument Panel, Leather, Vinyl, Other Plastic Surfaces, Low Gloss Paint Surfaces and Natural Open Pore Wood SurfacesUse a soft microfiber cloth dampened with water to remove dust and loose dirt. For a more thorough cleaning, use a soft microfiber cloth dampened with a mild soap solution.
Caution: Soaking or saturating leather, especially perforated leather, as well as other interior surfaces, may cause permanent damage. Wipe excess moisture from these surfaces after cleaning and allow them to dry naturally. Never use heat, steam, or spot removers. Do not use cleaners that contain silicone or wax-based products. Cleaners containing these solvents can permanently change the appearance and feel of leather or soft trim, and are not recommended.

Do not use cleaners that increase gloss, especially on the instrument panel. Reflected glare can decrease visibility through the windshield under certain conditions.

Caution: Use of air fresheners may cause permanent damage to plastics and painted surfaces. If an air freshener comes in contact with any plastic or painted surface in the vehicle, blot immediately and clean with a soft cloth dampened with a mild soap solution. Damage caused by air fresheners would not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

The cleaner you are using is ruining dash>
I will hold off on using silicone or wax based products on my interior which I do not think the product I use has this in it.

But are we certain the product the OP is using contains what is mentioned to damage the surfaces mentioned in the manual. I guess I am having a hard time believing it. I always used a product on my interior and never had a problem.

Go to 1:18-I wonder what "complex formulation's" is?

Last edited by 68rssscamaro; 05-11-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Interior Cleaners

Some cleaners/protectants out-gas on hot days with the windows closed. This leaves a hazy film that shows up on the interior windows (almost like someone has been smoking in the car). You can clean them and stop using the product but the haze will continue until the product has dissipated.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote