Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
timtoolman24

Drives: 2012 LS3 2SS/RS
Horrible first day at the track

Well took my car to the local track sunday for the first time.....and total fail! ha First pass did a good burnout (first gear, later learned need to be in second), rev up to launch around 2500, fell on its face when launched not enough pedal ha, but recovered and when I went to shift to second I could not get it to go in gear! (Stock Clutch) Hit the rev limiter.
Second pass samething, couldnt get it in second, let off gas, rpms came down and I was able to get it in second gear, got on gas and NO POWER! 4000 rpms and bogged, aborted run.
This is my first time ever racing a manual down a track so I know theres a huge learning curve but wow, so I was talking to everybody trying to learn what I was doing wrong. And we were looking thru car because of the no power issue! It ideled and ran fine, and nothing looked out of place, thought maybe it was stabil trax or traction control, or line lock making computer pull power. Drove it around all fine no engine codes nothing.
So here comes third pass (FINAL for the day), samething burnout, launch, this time rode clutch little, went to shift to second and it went in gear because I did not have rpms high I early shifted, got on gas in second and NO POWER!!!! Just nothing, 4000rpms and nothing.
At this point I'm confused, pissed, mad, I just wanted one good pass to see where my car stood. An try to get better and improve.
So samething look it over find nothing, everybody thought it was something diff. So went home, drove fine, normal but when I would go to get on gas just no power! Get home jack it up and get under the car a WOW staring me in the face, the procharger had blown the outlet hose completely off and broke the .25cent cheap clamp that was holding it on. Hook it all back together and test drive car and amazing its alive! So do a test run, and pop blow hose off again haha. So now I have big T-bolt clamps on the way to take all the cheap hose clamps off and replace. And its going to Lethal Racing to get a clutch installed!!! Stock clutch just cant handle it!
Sorry for long write up but frustrating first day at track! New clutch and clamps then hitting it again!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
I know how you feel. Sunday for the first time I tried to slip the clutch and smoked it. Just can't handle the power. In go's the Mantic 9000.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Yea, no way that stock clutch could hold the power. Hell mine struggled in my car and thats just with the cam. Goodluck once you get the new clutch in and hopefully no more problems with hoses .
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
timtoolman24

YA in goes mantic 9000, ya clutch is fine driving around normal on street but heat it up on track and then throw all power at it, it will scream ha
Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoolman24 View Post
So samething look it over find nothing, everybody thought it was something diff. So went home, drove fine, normal but when I would go to get on gas just no power! Get home jack it up and get under the car a WOW staring me in the face, the procharger had blown the outlet hose completely off and broke the .25cent cheap clamp that was holding it on. Hook it all back together and test drive car and amazing its alive! So do a test run, and pop blow hose off again haha. So now I have big T-bolt clamps on the way to take all the cheap hose clamps off and replace.
I blew out my outlet coupler a couple of times as well.

We ended up welding a bead around the edge, then clamping it down hard with t-clamps. Haven't had a problem since.

Keep at it!

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
timtoolman24

Hmm might have to do that. Thanks for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I blew out my outlet coupler a couple of times as well.

We ended up welding a bead around the edge, then clamping it down hard with t-clamps. Haven't had a problem since.

Keep at it!

Padre
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoolman24 View Post
Hmm might have to do that. Thanks for advice
What wheels/tires were you running?

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
timtoolman24

I have Nitto 555r 305's on rear stock wheels and regular stock wheels on front
Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Also, if you don't have a GTO clutch reservoir you should add that as well. Then change your reservoir fluid every time before you go to the strip. Use DOT 4 fluid as well.

As you've seen in my other post I just got so DR's so I'm going to have to learn the right RPM to launch mine at but I've been down the track probably 50 times with the car. I'm hoping to not have to put in a clutch for a while either but I'm going to be staying at 415 rwhp. Last time I went out I tried to do a little better burnout than normal (street tires) but all I really did was heat up the clutch a little and I also forgot to clean my reservoir fluid. For the first time my clutch pedal stuck to the floor going to 2nd and when I got back the clutch smelled horrible. Done for the night on the first run.

I won't be back to the strip without a line-lock this time as well as I'll have my newly purchased DR's.

If the new clutch and clutch reservoir don't fix the issue you can also look into the Ideal Garage master cylinder. A lot of clutch vendors say it's not necessary with an aftermarket clutch.

Oh....don't forget to have Lethal add a clutch fluid remote bleeder line. It's probably a standard thing for them to do but double check just in case. Add it now while the trans is out to save you labor costs.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
timtoolman24

Thanks will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Also, if you don't have a GTO clutch reservoir you should add that as well. Then change your reservoir fluid every time before you go to the strip. Use DOT 4 fluid as well.

As you've seen in my other post I just got so DR's so I'm going to have to learn the right RPM to launch mine at but I've been down the track probably 50 times with the car. I'm hoping to not have to put in a clutch for a while either but I'm going to be staying at 415 rwhp. Last time I went out I tried to do a little better burnout than normal (street tires) but all I really did was heat up the clutch a little and I also forgot to clean my reservoir fluid. For the first time my clutch pedal stuck to the floor going to 2nd and when I got back the clutch smelled horrible. Done for the night on the first run.

I won't be back to the strip without a line-lock this time as well as I'll have my newly purchased DR's.

If the new clutch and clutch reservoir don't fix the issue you can also look into the Ideal Garage master cylinder. A lot of clutch vendors say it's not necessary with an aftermarket clutch.

Oh....don't forget to have Lethal add a clutch fluid remote bleeder line. It's probably a standard thing for them to do but double check just in case. Add it now while the trans is out to save you labor costs.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Stock wheels gotta go been there done that good luck
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote