Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
Scared of a tune... Should I be?

I am no different than the next guy.. I want my car to perform well. I do (for fun, not serious) Midnight Mayhem racing (drag) at the local track once a month with my friends.

I want performance. But I also want reliability. Most people I talk to say the dealership wont go bonkers on my tune (my car has a 5 year 50k warranty) and I'm not doing headers. I have borla attak , K&N filter.. I just want a bit more punch and better shift points.

However, I am having a little bit of anxiety over this. Feel like I may be breaking a very reliable car. My tuner, has an amazing reputation. I trust them, just cant shake the feeling. they are also removing my resonator box. FYI

Some one reassure me lol
Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
that feeling should be there, a tune will increase the chance of breaking a axle/diff or cooking a tranny or melting a piston, that's just the way it is

but you have to take that chance to get the performance gains. honestly just do it and get the car tuned if the unexpected were to happen you get to do more upgrades and make the car even better
davidscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Feeling lucky? Roll the dice....no more than just a tune is going to give you,without any other mods,I definitely wouldn't do it....not enough gain vs loss
Old 03-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Pretty Sure a tune may void part of your warranty -- it depends on 'what' part went bad. For instance, if a wheel bearing goes out, the tune likely didn't affect that so should be warranted. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, gray areas me be covered, but engine/trans related, more than likely, GM will want them to run the tests to see if the PCM has been changed. The PCM does keep track of changes and can void warranty claims. I'm tuned by a reputable tuners (Ryan from GPI and Andy from ADM) and have had no issues with the car after the tune (just adjustments only). If the warranty is the most important thing to you, tune after its out of warranty. Lots of info about tunes and warranties on the forum...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
IF A6, tuning would be good to tune out AFM and shift points for the transmission. That would be great for sure.

Not sure about an M6 as I didn't have one.

I tend to agree though, mods make the tune more effective, but a good tuner can make the car more responsive, I'm just not sure you'll 'feel' the 15 to 20 (possible more) rwhp gain much.

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 03-20-2016 at 01:11 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
i can tell you the dealer tune is crap and a waste of money.. they will tune your car after they do headers for you so you dont get the CEL COME ON... ITS A WATER DOWN VERSION FOR SURE. i am sure some will say this is not true and thats fine your money do what you like.. i am glad that i did not waste my money on it good luck
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIC1 View Post
i can tell you the dealer tune is crap and a waste of money.. they will tune your car after they do headers for you so you dont get the CEL COME ON... ITS A WATER DOWN VERSION FOR SURE. i am sure some will say this is not true and thats fine your money do what you like.. i am glad that i did not waste my money on it good luck
If you an A6 the trans tune is what you want with so few mods. The trans and motor each have their own computers. Maybe you can just get the trans tune only....im not 100% on that. This info is just something I read but can't remeber where.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
i have a auto... and would never get it from the dealer. i can see getting it with out any other mods done to the car...
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Be scared of bad tuners... Not tunes. Research research research or come to SoCal and go to Ryne Cunningham. Or ask him if he has a buddy in your area
Old 03-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
Cldgin2

Thanks for the input guys... Not sure where the idea of having the dealer tune your car started? I'm going to a reputable tuner here in vegas. It just freaks me out, thinking that I may just take a very reliable car and make it unreliable.

I get the idea if it breaks I get more mods lol... But that is the deal. Don't want it to break haha. Just want the better shift points and maybe the engine to run at the levels it really should, not the watered down for every driver tune the factory ships them with.

Perhaps I'm worried about nothing.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldgin2 View Post
Thanks for the input guys... Not sure where the idea of having the dealer tune your car started? I'm going to a reputable tuner here in vegas. It just freaks me out, thinking that I may just take a very reliable car and make it unreliable.

I get the idea if it breaks I get more mods lol... But that is the deal. Don't want it to break haha. Just want the better shift points and maybe the engine to run at the levels it really should, not the watered down for every driver tune the factory ships them with.

Perhaps I'm worried about nothing.
I was wondering where the dealer tune came from myself.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
If it's already stressing you out don't do it because every time you think you hear something funny you will dwell on it being from the tune and you won't enjoy the improved performance. It should put a grin on your face not worry lines on your brow!
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
Cldgin2

You have a point on two fronts.. Yes it should put a grin on my face... And yes i'm OCD.. Noise will at least for a while bug me, but usually I'll get over in time.. To put my OCD to a point, I drive it every day and she looks like a garage queen. The boys at the dealer when I do an oil change always ask If I actually drive it, until they see the mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If it's already stressing you out don't do it because every time you think you hear something funny you will dwell on it being from the tune and you won't enjoy the improved performance. It should put a grin on your face not worry lines on your brow!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #14
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldgin2 View Post
I do (for fun, not serious) Midnight Mayhem racing (drag) at the local track once a month with my friends.

I just want a bit more punch and better shift points.

Some one reassure me lol
skip the tune and put the money towards a Gen6.