Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Magnaflow X-Pipe question?

I just recently added LT headers with HF cats to my L99.(Plus a tune) I still have my factory resonator and Solo axle back w/j-pipes. I'm very pleased with the sound but I was wondering if I could improve the sound with a Magnaflow resonated X-pipe? The reason for the resonated x-pipe is because the Solo axle back does not have mufflers and I think it would be to loud and possibly raspy.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
That will give a very nice sound. So the Magnaflow will technically be the only muffler on the car? If so, will sound good.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
BAD DAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
That will give a very nice sound. So the Magnaflow will technically be the only muffler on the car? If so, will sound good.
Yes, that's correct. It has a nice growl when you stand on it and when the transmission is up and downshifting. It's not to aggressive at highway speeds and no drone. (Which I like) I was just wondering if the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe would sound even better than my factory resonator? Will the Magnaflow work well with my Solo axle back?

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
The Magnaflow resonated X will cut out any drone you may have as well as deepen the tone but I've heard it does a number on overall volume. Might be too quiet after it's installed, so keep that in mind.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Jmann356

Drives: White 2013 2SS/RS L99
I put the resonated x pipe in my car and I want to change it. I have long tunes no cats and a muffler delete. It made it too quiet for me. Cut the volume in half almost I was surprised.
Jmann356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
BAD DAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann356 View Post
I put the resonated x pipe in my car and I want to change it. I have long tunes no cats and a muffler delete. It made it too quiet for me. Cut the volume in half almost I was surprised.
Thanks for the info. What are you thinking about going with?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The resonated x pipe does kill volume...deep tone under load but just to quiet at idle.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
gmpartsman

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS IBM
I have a cammed ls3 with long tubes cat and muffler delete. added the magnaflow xpipe and it sounds amazing at idle or wot but there is cruising drone so be aware..
gmpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpartsman View Post
I have a cammed ls3 with long tubes cat and muffler delete. added the magnaflow xpipe and it sounds amazing at idle or wot but there is cruising drone so be aware..
I found that it really gave the car an old school sound..pretty deep. But I was lucky enough to not have drone. Magnaflow does a good job with drone.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
The Magnaflow resonated X will cut out any drone you may have as well as deepen the tone but I've heard it does a number on overall volume. Might be too quiet after it's installed, so keep that in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann356 View Post
Just to be fair, you were warned

Just kidding. That sucks man, but the reason I said that is because that seems to be a very common thing with the resonated X. I hope you find the set up you're looking for, best of luck!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
BAD DAB

Would the unresonated x pipe make my current setup to loud or to raspy? I have LT's and HF cats with the Solo axle back and j pipes. (+Stock L99 resonator which I want to replace) So with a unresonated x pipe I would have no mufflers.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Would the unresonated x pipe make my current setup to loud or to raspy? I have LT's and HF cats with the Solo axle back and j pipes. (+Stock L99 resonator which I want to replace) So with a unresonated x pipe I would have no mufflers.
Here is my l99 with shorty headers high flow cats and muffler delete like you have. This is with a Tru X pipe from Magnaflow. This x pipe is non resonated and made my car very loud and high pitched. After my 391 gear install I didnt like it on the highway...if I left the gears stock I may have kept this setup.

Last edited by rontammy0; 08-03-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
BAD DAB

Thanks everyone.......for all your help

Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #14
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I've got the resonated x. And I can tell you that it will break in a bit and get a bit deeper and louder. My set up is LT headers, hf cats, magnaflow resonated x, and Flowmaster Pro Series axle back. It is deep and controlled. But when I first put the resonated x on...I thought it was way too quiet and way too high pitched. After about a thousand miles...it's now deeper and a tad louder. It won't get a lot louder. But it will get deeper in tone.

Back when I had all that same set up except the stock H pipe instead of the x...it was much deeper at idle and much louder in general. But had a ton of rasp. And I hate rasp. And droned like a mo fo.

I actually wish that magnaflow made a resonated h pipe. That (I think) would deliver a deeper tone. Which I like.

So...maybe give the resonated x a thousand miles and let it settle in before you fully judge it. They do seem to break in a bit.

And with all that said...exhaust note and sound is such a subjective thing and to each their own. There is no right or wrong answer. So really it's all what YOU like for YOUR car.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote