Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #29
ArmoSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Wish we can see these hoods in action an actual camaro !
Which one are you interested in? I have updated the initial post with everyone who is interested. I will add you to the list.
ArmoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #30
Big Top Gt
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2010 2SS/RS (LS3)
Send a message via AIM to Big Top Gt Send a message via Skype™ to Big Top Gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoSS View Post
I can't speak to where the hoods are manufactured, but VISRacing is located in City of Industry, CA. The hoods will be shipped from there. You may view their website www.VISRacing.com and/or give them a call for further information. The company that I'm working with is not VIS, but they are an authorized dealer of their products, who are also in So. Cal.
Cool. Thanks man. I'll email them asap and report back my findings via PM.
Big Top Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #31
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I am interested in the VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood (left).

Couple questions. I know the underhood components are engineered to endure high stress, temps, and moisture, but anyone had issues with water dripping from the ports. Of particular interest to me would be anyone with a ProCharger. The airfilter is relocated to the driver's side, mid engine bay area (right under where it looks like the last port is located above).

Second, I am in Afghanistan. Would there be any issue with it sitting EXACTLY the way it's shipped in a high moisture, outside area for 10-14 months? I live in Oceanside, so I get coastal fog a lot, as well as rain on rare occasions. I'm not going to expect the wife to clear out an area in the garage for it, so I'd probably ask the shippers to leave it on the side of the house.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #32
ArmoSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately View Post
I am interested in the VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood (left).

Couple questions. I know the underhood components are engineered to endure high stress, temps, and moisture, but anyone had issues with water dripping from the ports. Of particular interest to me would be anyone with a ProCharger. The airfilter is relocated to the driver's side, mid engine bay area (right under where it looks like the last port is located above).

Second, I am in Afghanistan. Would there be any issue with it sitting EXACTLY the way it's shipped in a high moisture, outside area for 10-14 months? I live in Oceanside, so I get coastal fog a lot, as well as rain on rare occasions. I'm not going to expect the wife to clear out an area in the garage for it, so I'd probably ask the shippers to leave it on the side of the house.
Cool..I'll add you to the list for AMS.

Hope someone with more knowledge of the topics you're curious about would read and answer your questions..cause I'm not too sure. The shipping question...it would depend on what they ship it in, which would probably just be normal boxing / taping. I can confirm.

Last edited by ArmoSS; 12-04-2011 at 04:17 AM.
ArmoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #33
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Does it include the rain guard ? I don't want my bay getting wet
Old 12-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Yes, it should include the rain guard. Mine did at least.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #35
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Do you have the seibon or VIS ?
They are very similar
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #36
TCAT

I have the VIS hood. Your right though, the Seibon does look similar.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #37
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

So you never went with the seibon then
Any reason ?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #38
TCAT

No particular reason besides the look. I just happen to prefer the VIS. However, Seibon hoods are good from what I hear. The only thing about these aftermarket carbon hoods is that they are barely lighter than the stock hood. The stock hood is very very light, and a lot of other people get a hood simply for aesthetics. If you plan to go with forced induction of some kind, a vented hood (there are plenty others as well) is a great idea. However, if the Camaro is your daily driver (and you dont plan to go with forced induction: supercharer or turbo) and you have to worry about rain, the vented hoods aren't ideal considering you'll deal with rain and moisture, and another hood may be your best bet. The rain guards do 'guard' against rain a little, but it's certainly not channeled in a way to eliminate water in or around the engine or fuse box. I wash my car with the rain guards on, and it helps but there is usually water around the fuse box when I pop the hood once I dry the exterior.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #39
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Hmm now I'm stuck , my car is put through auto shows, judged events etc and is my daily driver and ontop of that I also live in wonderful south Florida so we get a good amount of rain throughout the year.
I don't drive long distances to were it will be exposing my bay to a ton of water if I'm caught in a downpour.

As for forced induction, I do plan on Giving it a shot later on within the next year or two.
I just love the look of the seibon and VIS. Not concerned about the weight differences because I'm not that into the race scene since I only have an intake.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #40
TCAT

Yeah, it's definitely a tough call. If it's not too long of a distance, than you may be okay. Small Florida storms tend to come and go relatively quickly. I would recommend just give this mod some thought, and get what you want and what will work for your goals, and cars usage. This is definitely an expensive mod, lol. Paint and labor is darn expensive for a hood that's for sure.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #41
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Thanks for all the help TCAT
You have a sweet ride for sure , summit whit was gonna bey second color
It goes great with exterior mods
Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #42
TCAT

Thanks Lim3, I really appreciate that. Your ride is bad to the bone too man. I just check out your build thread, and love the vertical doors and wheels. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll do my best to help out.