Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-18-2023, 07:05 PM   #1
therigwelder

Drives: 2011 Camaro ls
no crank no start

ok i will try breaking down my issues.my last post fell flat. either this site is washed up or nobody has a clue what i am talking about. the car is a 2011 camaro LS. i have a no crank no start issue, the battery is fully charged and good connections. there is 12.5 volts at the positive post under the hood. when the key is turned on everything lights up as it should however the CEL flickers faintly and continuous. could i hook up a remote starter switch and bypass the ignition and see if i can get it to fire up?
therigwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:11 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
The CEL flickering… have you tried to pull any codes?
Old 08-18-2023, 08:32 PM   #3
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
There are really good people here. I'm just guessing & don't have a clue. Someone will help.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:45 PM   #4
therigwelder

Hooked up the obdII and there were no codes but the battery was pulled when it got in my yard because it only registered 8v on the battery put a fresh charge on it and the battery tested good,so the battery is not an issue in this equation.wish I woukd have tried pulling codes before I yanked the battery
Old 08-18-2023, 09:19 PM   #5
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Hey, we are just messing with you. Welcome to the forum & take the starter out & have it checked @ any parts store.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:25 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
As Acutron said, we were just joshing with ya!! Like he said, pull the starter and have it checked, or maybe the cable that goes to the starter is lose, or just bad at the connection. If you have 12.5 at the under hood terminal, it could be a toasted starter. Good luck..
Old 08-19-2023, 09:11 PM   #7
therigwelder

okay, i have done a lot of research and investigating today. i have found the clicking noises i am hearing are coming from the tps. this happens whenever a door, trunk, hood is opened or closed and KO. apparently it is a common problem with camaros. i don't think the problem is the TPS because i still have the no click no crank condition. I pulled the starter and it tested good, the battery is fully charged with new terminals, Every fuse under the hood, in the trunk and inside the car are good. I pulled the starter relay and tried to jump out #30 and #87 ports.#30 had power but when i jumped into #87 i got a small spark and nothing else(i think there is resistance there) the starter should have engaged. I have a starting charging schematic only so I don't know how the BCM interacts with the ECM on the IGN side. I am also trying to figure why the alternator has a wire going to the starter solenoid as well as how the TPS ties into all this mess, the only conclusion seems to point to the ecm. the previous owner told me that he got stuck and it started making a tapping sound and the car shut off and never restarted.I am thinking as the PO was getting unstuck he revved the car up to high rpms and the tapping he heard was the tps.is there a rev limiter on these cars?
Old 08-20-2023, 08:23 AM   #8
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
For what it is worth, I had a no start/no crank condition on my Camaro years ago. It was the Throttle Body, and most likely the harness connection to it, or some other harness connection, because I went through all of them that I could access.
Battery was good, and like you everything else was good. I however did have some codes, and maybe you also had some, but cleared when disconnecting the battery.
So I cleaned the TB Harness connector, and checked all harness connections. I was able to start car after mashing the throttle a few times before attempting to start the car and got a CEL and Codes P2135 TPS Voltage Correlation, and P2176 Throttle Actuator Control System Idle Position not Learned (Limp Mode). Cleared those codes with my SCT X4 Flash tool and then got CEL and P0122 and P0223 TPS Low Voltage Input/High Output. I found the SCT X4 won't read codes as well as a HP Tuner MPVI3, and some codes are permanent and can only be cleared by fixing the issue and driving the car. With the HP tuner interface you can look at a whole host of parameters before even starting the car. Like TPS and accelerator pedal position, voltage, etc.
So check all wire harness connections and look for potentially bad grounds. And low battery voltage can cause maddening issues on these cars.
Or - VATs also will cause a no start. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548558

Last edited by hesster; 08-20-2023 at 08:39 AM.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by therigwelder View Post
okay, i have done a lot of research and investigating today. i have found the clicking noises i am hearing are coming from the tps. this happens whenever a door, trunk, hood is opened or closed and KO. apparently it is a common problem with camaros. i don't think the problem is the TPS because i still have the no click no crank condition. I pulled the starter and it tested good, the battery is fully charged with new terminals, Every fuse under the hood, in the trunk and inside the car are good. I pulled the starter relay and tried to jump out #30 and #87 ports.#30 had power but when i jumped into #87 i got a small spark and nothing else(i think there is resistance there) the starter should have engaged. I have a starting charging schematic only so I don't know how the BCM interacts with the ECM on the IGN side. I am also trying to figure why the alternator has a wire going to the starter solenoid as well as how the TPS ties into all this mess, the only conclusion seems to point to the ecm. the previous owner told me that he got stuck and it started making a tapping sound and the car shut off and never restarted.I am thinking as the PO was getting unstuck he revved the car up to high rpms and the tapping he heard was the tps.is there a rev limiter on these cars?
Here is some good info on the rev limiters, and yes they have it set from the factory, unless it has been tuned differently.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305623
Old 08-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #10
therigwelder

I am still trying to figure out the no click crank situation out.so let me try another approach,there is a clicking noise whenever I open the hood door or trunk.the clicking feels like it is coming from the passenger side injector harnesses.the engine is not running,the key does not even have to be in the ignition.if I can figure out this odd situation maybe I can get it to lead me to the no click