Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #29
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
At least he doesn't have wrinkles like mine. The sun is extremely low in that picture. Looks like it's nearly sunset. Makes for a nice pictures, but it does throw some big shadows. And what's wrong with skinny models?
Yes definitely near sunset so the shadows are very exaggerated. However, my top is very tight. Wrinkles are minimum but several dreaded rub marks in strange places...but no holes!
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #30
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
That is great that you have no problems at all driving all year round! It kind of gets everyone's attention I am sure in the winter. What is your favorite feature on it thus far? It is such a beauty in your pictures.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Brandon,

Love everything about this car! Best feature...top down driving in the Rocky Mountain air (when there are not the awful forest fires). Second best...Hurst short throw with my custom white 8-ball shifter!
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #31
styphon

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I will not be driving it in the winter...

Drove 80s camaros when I was in highschool in the 90s in upstate NY during the winter.. It was horrible, always having the back end swing out, driving 35 down the interstate as I was pretty much always fishtailing...Once I almost entered a tool booth at a horizontal angle..

But on a positive note, I am a great winter driver because of it. But I just got a beat up pickup 4x4 for the winter, I paid tons for this camaro and not risking some jackass t-boning me because he forgot you need longer braking distances in the winter.
styphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
ZZTop-leSS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 - Rally Yellow
I think it's funny for those that chimed in and claimed they drive their Camaros in the "winter".......... in Texas!! Not quite the same as winter in Wisconsin!

All kidding aside, as others have stated, the warmth of the cabin isn't the problem, it's the ability to get traction. Snow tires are definitely a must, but even if you're the best winter driver, it makes me too damn nervous worrying about someone else on the road being stupid and smashing my car, so I try to always have a winter beater car available. This past winter, which thankfully was extremely mild, I drove my 97 Z28 vert and always stayed warm.... couldn't drive more than 35 or 40 mph when there was snow on the ground, but my tires on that car suck!
ZZTop-leSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #33
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
This was February 2010 in Philadelphia...on a four-month old Aqua coupe:
That makes me
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
There's a temperature sensor that prevents the top from being operated at 35* or colder. It's mainly to prevent damage from lowering onto a frozen "Water Management" bag.

A friend lowered his top this past December when the outside temp hit 60* but the rainbag was full and frozen solid. Bye-bye 5th Bow and Sayonara glass window.
Ouch!! And from what I understand, the back window is not replaceable without having to get a new top.

Quote:
The tires from the factory (P Zero's) are Summer only. Pirelli cautions against driving on them when it's 40* or colder.
There are P Zero Nero's that are Mud & Snow...they are standard on the Mustang GT. Go figure.
Yes the summer factory tires. Please be careful, I would invest in snows if I didn't store my vert in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZTop-leSS View Post
I think it's funny for those that chimed in and claimed they drive their Camaros in the "winter".......... in Texas!! Not quite the same as winter in Wisconsin!

All kidding aside, as others have stated, the warmth of the cabin isn't the problem, it's the ability to get traction. Snow tires are definitely a must, but even if you're the best winter driver, it makes me too damn nervous worrying about someone else on the road being stupid and smashing my car, so I try to always have a winter beater car available. This past winter, which thankfully was extremely mild, I drove my 97 Z28 vert and always stayed warm.... couldn't drive more than 35 or 40 mph when there was snow on the ground, but my tires on that car suck!
Excellent idea! My late fall, winter, and early spring Toyota Hilux "beater" has 313,000 miles on it. Doesn't look too pretty but most people are afraid to hit it because they have way more to lose.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #35
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
SnowVert drives his in the winter...he'd be a good guy to message.
I do drive mine in the winter, but they are not joking when they call the P-Zeros a summer only tire. I did all of my driving on dry roads and they performed fine (a little rough untill they warm up though). I did take it out in a slight dusting (1/2 inch or so) of snow last winter and my normal 30 minute commute took just over an hour. Anything faster than 18 mph and i would lose almost all traction.

I will most likely be getting a nice set of the all seasons that continental makes for my next set of tires. Until then, I will just continue avoiding the snow days.

We all need to remember that people used to drive giant rear wheel drive sleds with lots of horsepower long before the invention of ECS, Traction Control and Anti-lock brakes. Unfortunately, I think many of these life saving inventions have taught many of us to rely on them rather than driving safely. Just take your time, drive smart, and I'm sure it will work just fine.

Regarding the convertible tops, you shouldn't have any damage from just driving around in the winter. I agree with previous posts, do not try to drop your top though unless it is warm enough. The only other variable is heavy snow. I imagine that if you piled enough heavy, wet snow on top of our tops while parked out in a snowstorm, you might end up with some issues there. I'm not sure what the weight rating is for our cloth tops.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #36
BlueChev

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Convertible
We'll be driving ours through the winter.....but, again....we're in southern AZ.
I'd be most concerned with salt damage to the soft top and the underside.
BlueChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #37
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowVert View Post
I'm not sure what the weight rating is for our cloth tops.
I'd guess: < 1.5 lbs.
Last Winter, I kept brushing off the snow.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #38
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I drove mine through the winter but avoided snow days when ever possible. Took it to the car wash to spray the undercarriage every week or so to keep any salt from accumulating. Like everyone else the Pzero's were hard and not forgiving.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
sswiss3000

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Vert, L99
2012 Convertible in Chicago Winter

Here is my 2012 Camaro Snowmobile. Put some winter tires on that thing and you will have no issues.
Attached Images

sswiss3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #40
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswiss3000 View Post
Here is my 2012 Camaro Snowmobile...
Is the top down?
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
LessSinister

Drives: 2011 - 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswiss3000 View Post
Here is my 2012 Camaro Snowmobile. Put some winter tires on that thing and you will have no issues.
Drove mine for two winters now. The first year I waited to put snow tires on and in 1/4" of snow I was sliding all over the place on flat level asphalt. Since then I bought 18" Michelin X-ice2 snow tires all around (from 20"). Even with snow tires you have to drive to the road conditions but with the snows I really could drive effortlessly.

If you have remote start and electric heated seats that's a bonus during the winter. Also, if it's going to snow overnight while the car is parked don't forget to lift the wiper blades off the windshield (bend then up at the articulation) so any ice/snow accumulated overnight can be scraped/brushed off easily in the morning.

Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet, don't operate your top in the winter. Why take the chance of damaging any of the top mechanism.

Get the vert, it's summertime fun more than makes up for the winter blahs. It makes you really look forward to the warmer months.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #42
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS

Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
2SS very conv through the winter, anyone who does this I salute you, ala AC/DC .
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote