Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Rocksteady

Drives: -
whats the best oil for engine and transmission after breakin period for 2013 auto V6

As the title says.. whats the best oil for the engine and transmission of a 2013 2lt auto v6 camaro after the break in period?

I read that a lot of people recommend the mobil 1 solution for the v8 and royal purple for the transmission (dont know if that only is for the manual). But dont know which exact product would be the best for the v6 auto.

Is there really any noticeable difference between different oils with the same recommended factory numbers?

Thanks already in advance for some clarification
Rocksteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Just for fun and definitely not to sideline your questions, but take an afternoon or evening and read thru and search over at BITOG - Bob is the oil guy.com

Once you have filled up on their analysis using the search on Camaro or other terms you are interested in, then see if some of your inner questions can be answered. They have wonderful documentation and specs available with analysis practically identical to your car and usage.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Car_Almond

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS V6, Red
Go for any synthetic 5w-30 engine oil that lists the HTO-06 and GM 4178M specs. And dexos1 is good to have on top of those two performance specs, because dexos1 adds good wear performance and anti-foaming requirements.

I know its beeen said that dexos1 qualification supersedes GM 4178M, but remember 4178M had a stronger high-temperature requirement that tolerates less oxidation (thickening) and volatility (boil-off) on a standard engine test called Sequence IIIE which is part of the basic SN qualification. Personally, I've seen some reason to believe that SOPUS (Quaker State, Pennzoil synthetics) products are best for the least engine deposits too.

And for a filter, get one that mixes in glass fibers in with the cellulose. Cheap filters just have cellulose paper. Glass fibers in there mean the filter is harder to clog and might get smaller particles too. Glass fiber-enhanced ones are Mobil1 M1C-254, Bosch Premium 3474, NAPA Gold 7090, Fram TG8765, or Pennzoil Platinum HPZ-55. The NAPA Gold 7090 appears to be the cheapest by far glass-enhanced filter available. I've seen the Mobil one filter go for $20 (ouch!) and I doubt if its any better than the other glass-enhanced media filters.

Then get a Dimple (strong magnet) magnetic drain plug to get iron/steel particles out in the 1 to 30 micron range.

Transmission fluid shouldn't be touched until 100,000 miles.

Last edited by Car_Almond; 09-26-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Car_Almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
SuzanneClerkin

Drives: Camaro
Hi Rocksteady, Chevrolet recommend using an engine oil that is Dexos1* approved. We recommend using our Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. It meets the Dexos1 specifications set by Chevrolet and would give you great performance in keeping your engine clean, wear protection, thermal stability and resistance to mechanical breakdown. -The Pennzoil Team
SuzanneClerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
The V-6 oil filters by Mobil 1 are available via WalMart's website at 2 for $15. Not sure what shipping is, but they aren't carried in the stores, as far as I know. I usually use a NAPA Gold filter, as there's a NAPA close by and they have them on the shelf for about $8.

I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 when I changed mine the day before yesterday. Great specs.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksteady View Post
As the title says.. whats the best oil for the engine and transmission of a 2013 2lt auto v6 camaro after the break in period?

I read that a lot of people recommend the mobil 1 solution for the v8 and royal purple for the transmission (dont know if that only is for the manual). But dont know which exact product would be the best for the v6 auto.

Is there really any noticeable difference between different oils with the same recommended factory numbers?

Thanks already in advance for some clarification
Rocksteady,

After mine is broken in I intend to use Mobil 1 in all my Chevy's including my Camaro and go by the OLM.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Car_Almond

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS V6, Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneClerkin View Post
Hi Rocksteady, Chevrolet recommend using an engine oil that is Dexos1* approved. We recommend using our Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. It meets the Dexos1 specifications set by Chevrolet and would give you great performance in keeping your engine clean, wear protection, thermal stability and resistance to mechanical breakdown. -The Pennzoil Team
Pennzoil Team, Platinum is good, but Ultra is likely better, right? Why can't Pennzoil just pay the Dexos Ransom to GM and put the dexos1 logo on the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 ? Pay the ransom! (Unlike the Somali pirates, GM should get the ransom, Captain Phillips will be returned safely if so....).
Car_Almond is offline   Reply With Quote