Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #57
jehartley

Drives: Red LT1 & Silver LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
I belive that GM engineering did alot of research and testing of different brands of motor oils before they decided that Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil was the best motor oil to use in their engines.I honestly don't think it is a money game GM engineering wouldn't recommend using Mobil 1
synthetic motor oil in their engines if it didn't perform top notch
in GM engines.
You keep telling yourself that. GM almost went with Pennzoil Platinum as the factory fill for Corvette last year when Mobil's contract ran out, but Mobil swooped in with more money yet again.

It is a money game. Plain and simple. But you believe whatever makes you feel happy.
jehartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #58
jehartley

Quote:
Actually the K&N oil filters are the same oil filter as the Mobil 1 oil filters just renamed.
False. Where do you keep getting your bad information? Internet forums? Geez. While Champion does make both filters, they are not identical filters and in fact, they perform quite differently. K&N filters have great flow, but suck at filtration. Mobil 1's, however, filter great, but restrict flow compared to other quality filters.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #59
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
How do you guys feel about ac delco filters?
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #60
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
How do you guys feel about ac delco filters?
They are fine. It is an average filter that does its intended job. Go back to post #29 in this thread and read what I posted.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #61
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
They are fine. It is an average filter that does its intended job. Go back to post #29 in this thread and read what I posted.
Thanks....i skipped right over that
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #62
1sweet11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
I belive that GM engineering did alot of research and testing of different
brands of motor oils before they decided that Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil
was the best motor oil to use in their engines.I honestly don't think it
is a money game GM engineering wouldn't recommend using Mobil 1
synthetic motor oil in their engines if it didn't perform top notch
in GM engines.

EVERYTHING is a "money game."

As long as brand X performs to GM's standards they will recommend them. What makes brand X the "choice" of GM is a different. It comes down to $$$. Brand X. Y, and Z could all perform th GM's standards..... What seperates them is not their performance, but who is willing to put up the $$$.

This is no different than NASCAR. Race teams use/recommend different products (oil, car batteries, etc) and use different cars/race engines (Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota). Why is that? I'll tell you.... It's not because brand X is better than brand Y, but because brand X is willing to pay up the $$$.

Sponsorship....

If I own a large company with millions of customers and you want to provide a service to go along with my product I will listen. If you want me to recommend your company to service/work with my product, then I have two criterias:

A: Your service does not damage my product in anyway and meets my standards.

B: By recommending you, I will be allowing you access to MY customers, thus making you more $$$. As compentation, I want you to pony up a TON of $$$$ up front.

Don't like my proposal? No hard feelings, I've always liked brand Y better anyways..... I will "recommend" them
Autoclub Dragway Best MPH: 112.01 Jan 7, 2012

Last edited by 1sweet11SS; 06-10-2011 at 09:40 PM.
1sweet11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #63
10SIL2SSLS3

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2SS LS3
Lucas Oil!!!!.....Mobil 1 or Fram filters.
10 Silver Ice LS3,Inferno Orange Int, Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers w/High flo-cats,Vararam,Vmax TB,160 T-Stat,Flowmaster AMT Cat-back,TSP Underdrive Pulley,Granatelli Wires,Hurst Short throw,Mike Norris Motorsports Tune,3.91 Gears/Built Diff by RPM Transmissions Anderson IN,SLP SS badging with rear black-out panel. 409.7 RWHP 461.0 RWTQ
10SIL2SSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #64
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SIL2SSLS3 View Post
Lucas Oil!!!!.....Mobil 1 or Fram filters.
Seriously hope there is a ton of sarcasm in your post. Lucas is no better than any off the shelf oil at Wally World. Mobil 1 and Fram in the same sentence? Seriously?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #65
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMBALL View Post
That's a valid point JEH. It's important for other LS3 readers to understand that most GM dealerships are serving up the semi synthetic AC Delco version, not the full synthetic versions like Pennzoil Platinum for example.
It actually shouldn't matter. Dexos1 is a performance specification, specifically one that replaces GM6094M and GM4718M, and is supposed to be backwards compatible. That is, that anything labeled as meeting Dexos1 is an acceptable substitute performance wise for anything that was on the 4718M list.

http://www.gmdexos.com/aboutdexos.html

Quote:
dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil. dexos™ is fully backward-compatible and can be used in older vehicles. It is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years, with the exception of Europe where dexos™ is specified starting in model year 2010.

dexos1™ is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #66
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post
It actually shouldn't matter. Dexos1 is a performance specification, specifically one that replaces GM6094M and GM4718M, and is supposed to be backwards compatible. That is, that anything labeled as meeting Dexos1 is an acceptable substitute performance wise for anything that was on the 4718M list.

http://www.gmdexos.com/aboutdexos.html
It matters because dexos is a "money game" from GM. If you think a semi-synthetic is as good as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum for example just because it has the dexos label, then you are very naive and have fallen victim to the GM money marketing machine.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #67
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
So anything wrong with royal purple for.our cars?? Im about.to do my 1st oil change in this car and I've used.it in the past on my rx7 race motor. I was going to go with mobil1 or penzoil, but would royal purple be bad or?? Thanks a bunch, I've only seen 1 other person recommend it is why im asking. Thanks for the ear ^.^
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #68
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SynergyGr&Bl View Post
So anything wrong with royal purple for.our cars?? Im about.to do my 1st oil change in this car and I've used.it in the past on my rx7 race motor. I was going to go with mobil1 or penzoil, but would royal purple be bad or?? Thanks a bunch, I've only seen 1 other person recommend it is why im asking. Thanks for the ear ^.^
IMO there are better off the shelf oils for less money.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #69
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SynergyGr&Bl View Post
Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, and Quaker State Ultimate Duarability are all great synthetic oils off the shelf that can be had for less than Royal Purple and provide excellent protection. Amsoil is another boutique oil like RP that can be had for less as well.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #70
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehartley View Post
It matters because dexos is a "money game" from GM. If you think a semi-synthetic is as good as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum for example just because it has the dexos label, then you are very naive and have fallen victim to the GM money marketing machine.
Oh yeah, I'm naive for actually reading the performance spec.

Dexos1 requires a NOACK high temp volatility rating of <13. It also has a really low tolerance for oxidation. Those were the main requirements underlying 4718M. In all areas, Dexos1 requirements are at least as stringent as 4718M and in some case more so.

The only base stock that can reach those levels of performance is high quality Group III and Group IV, in other words, the same types of base stock used in oils like Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1.

There is a marketing aspect to Dexos1 with the "official licensing" but at the base it is STILL a performance specification and if an oil meets the performance spec, it meets the performance spec.

BTW, wanna venture a guess as to who makes that "terrible semi-synthetic" for GM?

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w

Betcha $$$ the base stock is not much different than the rest of Mobils oils....

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote