Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
what are the best lowering springs for 1LE?

Which are the best lowering springs ?

What's the perfect number of inches to drop the Camaro ?

Has any of you Guys dropped your 1LE yet ?
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Springs are the same as the SS...of which there are numerous threads in the suspension section. The cars have just started being delivered, haven't seen any lowered yet.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Springs are the same as the SS...of which there are numerous threads in the suspension section. The cars have just started being delivered, haven't seen any lowered yet.
Is there any that u recommend ? That look good. But don't sacrifice ride feeling ?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Which are the best lowering springs ?

What's the perfect number of inches to drop the Camaro ?

Has any of you Guys dropped your 1LE yet ?
Why would you cheap out with springs instead of coil overs? You just spent $43K on a track car, go with something that the car deserves.

My SS is set up much like the 1LE. I run 285/35's on 10" wide wheels with coil overs with a 1" drop. Any lower and I wouldn't be able to get it on the trailer because my headers (cats) already touch the trailer. My trailer has a dove tail and hauled Vettes before without problems. The Camaro's front end with a splitter sticks out over 3 foot from the front tires. I'm 5-1/2" from the splitter to the ground, and even less at the joint where the Kooks headers connect to the cats. So not a lot of clearance and if you have a DD you really need to watch where you're driving.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

I'm not trying to be cheap..... A friend told me that Why don't I get coilovers ? I told him that I don't plan on doing it cause that replaces the spring and strut and the struts on the 1LE are specially drained for track ..... So replacing them with a part made no sense.... Then I should just got a Camaro SS no 1LE....

I might be wrong..... All I want is the lower look
Old 11-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
I heard only the rear is monotube not the front.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
I'm not trying to be cheap..... A friend told me that Why don't I get coilovers ? I told him that I don't plan on doing it cause that replaces the spring and strut and the struts on the 1LE are specially drained for track ..... So replacing them with a part made no sense.... Then I should just got a Camaro SS no 1LE....

IMO, if you change the springs you will change the tuning of the suspension and possible negate the benefits of the monotubes. I also believe that a good coil over is still superior to the 1LE struts. PM Pedders or Pfadt and get their opinions.

While the 1LE is a great bargain for what it has, don't believe it can't be made a lot better. I've put a lot of money into my SS suspension and had it much like the 1LE before the 1LE was even announced. I belong to a Ford Shelby club and have run against many a Boss 302 and left them in my rear view mirror. I'll put my suspension up against a 1LE anytime. If I had it to do over a 1LE would be my first choice, then I would pile on most of the mods I currently have to have an awesome track car.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
I think any of the name brand lowering springs out there would work great on the 1LE.

Probably better than on an SS due to the better shocks (monotube on all 4 corners)

The 1LE sits a little high for my liking as well especially at the rear.

You don't need to prove your a track star to anyone as the car pulls over 1G from the factory and lowering it a bit not going to hurt that..
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Why would you cheap out with springs instead of coil overs? You just spent $43K on a track car, go with something that the car deserves.

My SS is set up much like the 1LE. I run 285/35's on 10" wide wheels with coil overs with a 1" drop. Any lower and I wouldn't be able to get it on the trailer because my headers (cats) already touch the trailer. My trailer has a dove tail and hauled Vettes before without problems. The Camaro's front end with a splitter sticks out over 3 foot from the front tires. I'm 5-1/2" from the splitter to the ground, and even less at the joint where the Kooks headers connect to the cats. So not a lot of clearance and if you have a DD you really need to watch where you're driving.

Not everyone needs to have adjustable dampening and cares to corner balance their cars. And honestly, if you're not willing spend the hours setting the damper settings appropriately, you could have just as much of a negative impact as you seem to think springs and stock dampers will.

And if you're going to be a coilover snob, you really ought to be running the best of the best. Triple adjustable remote reservoir or bust. Something your car deserves.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Quote:

This is all the OP wants to do.....
He doesn't want to spend a bunch of money and be a track star
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
For somebody who is on a racing crew, you would think you know the answer to your question.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Don't forget about the rear sub frame bushings...
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
dangjohnny

Drives: ‘21 ZL1 1LE 6MT
Coilovers would give you better results at the track. Springs have all sorts of issues on the forum. Check out the cars that would put a zl1 in its rear view mirror. Look for the viper that lapped a zr1 corvette.
http://kw-suspension.com/us/kw_partner.php
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
For somebody who is on a racing crew, you would think you know the answer to your question.

The thing is I'm the only guy with a Camaro in the Crew and everyone has different opinions
that's Why I came to the experts on camaros to ask avout springs....

I dont find nothing wrong with having a doubt.. and willing to ask a question even if it ridiculous ... I believe thats one if the main points of forums...

As you can see even property here have different opinions just wanted to see their points of views... Being on a racing Crew does not make me a pit stop pro.