Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Suggestions? Build Planning... VVT Cam/Port Heads - Future AGP TT

So, I've spent a lot of time reading on this forum, and have developed a plan for the upgrades I want in the next 18 months. (All pending how the 6th gen looks )

I'm looking for some opinions on the route I should take. I don't have a HP goal, at this time. Car is full bolt on + BW TB + Lowered.

This year - I want to run a GPI VVT cam (SS3/SS4?). 3600 stall. Ported heads.

Next year, I want to go with an AGP TT setup, 8lbs of boost initially.

So, with that in mind, how do I need to alter my cam/heads plans in order to run NA now, but still be able to run TT next year? I realize I will need a fuel system, trans cooler, etc to support my goals, so I'm planning that also.

Lots of knowledge on this forum, I appreciate you guys sharing some with me.

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-

Last edited by Ice992; 03-24-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
SrtWtF

Drives: Nsrt & Camaro SS
I think the SS3/4 since a VVT cam will still match a turbo great since the VVT manages to hold torque better to redline. Just make sure you have a tuner that knows how to actually tune the cool factor of VVT.

I'm going with the SS4 myself but instead of the TT i'ma go with a Maggie supercharger.
SrtWtF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
hamilton2008
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS/ gpi built
unless the car will see a decent amount of track time..i suggest the ss3 with a 3800 stall. if you decide on running the ss4 you will have to fly cut the pistons and put a 4k stall in the car. just a heads up
hamilton2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
If turbos are for sure in your future, I would grind a specific cam for your turbo setup and give up a little power NA now for the benefit of having the right setup when you go boost.

It wont take near as much cam to make big power with turbos either, so drivability will remain outstanding.

Id say ported heads, nice turbo friendly cam setup now. Then AGP setup, Alky control meth setup, Fore innovations twin intank return setup. Then you basically have everything to make 1000 plus hp from a fuel system.

Then save for a short block to turn the turbos loose!!!
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
Ice992
Semper Fi

Suggestions? Build Planning... VVT Cam/Port Heads - Future AGP TT

Thanks for the input Ryan! Gives me things to think about... Come on May 16th.

Still manage to get the lope out of the turbo ground Cam? (It's a trade off, I assume?) Really love the sound/feel of the ss3 and the ss4. (I've also driven a nightfury, loved it as well). just something about that rumble! -I've read a lot on the various cams, but i still feel pretty ignorant lol.
Also, you think the 3600 stall with that would be good? I commute in Houston, so I can't make it unusable as my DD. 3600 with the SS3 be enough to keep it from pushing against the brakes down low?

Didn't even think about Fore on the fuel pump. thanks! If you could, can you PM me a cost for the Cam/Heads/stall - multidisk (with cores for the heads), with/without install? Gotta plan the budget! You guys are only 8 hours away. I could always drive up and spend a few days in the summer, or get Jaime to do it here.

-H-Town Camaro Club-

Last edited by Ice992; 03-24-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
Ice992
Semper Fi

Hamilton- how do you like the SS4/4k combo? I remember reading about fly cutting required... However it escaped my memory, so thanks!

Royal purple raceway is just on the south side of town, once I get enough mods to make it worthwhile I'll start running. HTown Camaro club does track days pretty regularly.

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Drives: 2012 SW L99 2SS/RS

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
PFADT Tri-Y Long Tube Headers
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Circle D 3800 Torque Converter
Tuned by Southwest Speed
Beckmann2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
hamilton2008
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS/ gpi built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice992 View Post
Hamilton- how do you like the SS4/4k combo? I remember reading about fly cutting required... However it escaped my memory, so thanks!

Royal purple raceway is just on the south side of town, once I get enough mods to make it worthwhile I'll start running. HTown Camaro club does track days pretty regularly.
I like it alot...I was guna go with the ss3 at first but since we were already guna take the heads off I went ahead and decided to put the ss4 in it. It surges alittle bit around 1500rpms that's with the converter locked up. If u plan on coming up here to let us do the work I'd just go ahead and get the ss4. You'll have to get with ryan on how many hours it is to fly cut. I belive if you put some 391s in the rear end it will smooth out the cam surge. And the multi disc will prolly help it out alittle bit. It pulls really hard in the 4k to 7000 range. I'm happy with it...so I say go for it since they will already have the heads off and you plan on running it down the track. I get alot of compliments on the sound. You should also let them mod your intake.
hamilton2008 is offline   Reply With Quote