Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
didon1972

Drives: 2014 Z28, 1969 Camaro SS
Who do you use for insurance?

I current use Grundy and have it insured for 65k agreed value that cost around $850 a year with a $500 deductible. It's coming up for renewal and wondering if anyone know's another good insurance carrier to compare with. I use state farm with my other auto's but they quoted me close to $1500 for the policy.
didon1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
davethewave62

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
I used to use State Farm too. But for over 7 years now, I have been using GEICO. You can go to their website and input some info for a free quote -

Not sure if they are cheaper but you can try.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I'm with Geico.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
Immortan

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black, A/C, Stereo
Jesus... Maybe it's my age... But USAA, $2364/yr $500 deductible.

It is my only car and my DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Immortan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
SSCam99

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Geico.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortan View Post

All my cars together total less than that.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
i've had allstate, progressive, state farm, geico and nationwide.
i have quotes from a few others ( too high )
if you have a good record and good credit I suggest looking around every few years. someone will always beat your current quote. if you stay a long time some companies they will just charge you whatever you'll pay as they assume you'll never leave...
Old 11-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Desert Dweller

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortan View Post

Probably a combo of all of those.

I have USAA and I pay $840/yr, $1,000 deductible. Have several cars with them, and the Z is not my DD.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I would stick with Grundy, they understand the special car market better than the regular market. Plus agreed value will cover what the others try to squeeze out of. They will take the lowest value they can dig up, and that is what you will get out of them. Agreed value is a huge peace of mind.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
rvadim76

Drives: SOLD: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Based on what I see in your signature, I think Grundy is the one of the best options for your car.
I stick with Geico because of their great customer service and price.
My annual is nearly $1,000 for Chevy with $1000 deductible (but I have all the other options enabled and quite advanced coverage for all possible cases).
Plus it is TX, state with the one of the highest insurance rates.
rvadim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Grundy, stated value, plus extended coverage for tools and spare parts, there is no one else in the same ballpark offering even half the equivalent coverage. Your only other choice is Lloyds of London, but they are picky about who they pick up and rarely cover policies under $100k stated value. Besides which, only an independent licensed agent can actively shop collectors insurance and advise you properly for your personal situation in your state.

SF/Allst/geico etc are "standard carriers", they are legally barred (via special state registration) from even creating or writing a collectors policy. They will sell you a "Low mileage daily" policy, or you will be moved over to one of their "3rd party business partners" (which is actually a subsidiary they own 100% of). Rates of which will generally be 100% - 500% over Grundy.

In rare scenarios, I run across a "common carrier" policy that is near the same cost as Grundy or Lloyd's, but the primary difference is you will lose your shirt with a common carrier in an accident or if your car is totaled. Grundy will cut you a check for $65k/75k/100k (agreed upon value), while you will be lucky to get $45-50k from a common carrier. If you have a shadow of doubt for even 1/2 second on what I'm telling you, call your common carrier and ask the rep point blank, "I total my Z, how much are you going to pay me?". Be prepared to stay on the phone for an hour or more while they dodge the question and transfer you through three departments and four managers. Worse yet, Grundy and Lloyd's can offer umbrella coverage in multiples of $1 Million, while common carriers sell you on "100k/50k/100k" coverage and talk about "how great it is". Flat bed towing and other riders to include tools and spare parts and more come included with Grundy as well.

If you are ever fortunate enough to qualify for Grundy, it is worth it's weight in gold.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
davethewave62

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
I pay less than $500 a year and that's full coverage with GEICO. I paid cash for the car, its not a DD but I live oceanfront.

I keep full coverage so it takes care of it if I get hit by someone without insurance, which happens more than normal in Florida.

I wonder if its more on a car if it has a loan or is a DD.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethewave62 View Post
I pay less than $500 a year and that's full coverage with GEICO. I paid cash for the car, its not a DD but I live oceanfront.

I keep full coverage so it takes care of it if I get hit by someone without insurance, which happens more than normal in Florida.

I wonder if its more on a car if it has a loan or is a DD.
Call Geico and ask them to convert "full coverage" to a physical numeric number. I can guarantee it is not what you think it is and no, this value is not dependant upon if there is a loan or otherwise have a lien on it. Generally speaking, "full coverage" translates to NADA for your vehicle @ dealer trade in. For a loaded 2SS in Texas, this is around 23k, but will vary slightly by individual policy holder and State and a few other minor details related to how long you have been with the company etc.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Grundy, stated value, plus extended coverage for tools and spare parts, there is no one else in the same ballpark offering even half the equivalent coverage. Your only other choice is Lloyds of London, but they are picky about who they pick up and rarely cover policies under $100k stated value. Besides which, only an independent licensed agent can actively shop collectors insurance and advise you properly for your personal situation in your state.

SF/Allst/geico etc are "standard carriers", they are legally barred (via special state registration) from even creating or writing a collectors policy. They will sell you a "Low mileage daily" policy, or you will be moved over to one of their "3rd party business partners" (which is actually a subsidiary they own 100% of). Rates of which will generally be 100% - 500% over Grundy.

In rare scenarios, I run across a "common carrier" policy that is near the same cost as Grundy or Lloyd's, but the primary difference is you will lose your shirt with a common carrier in an accident or if your car is totaled. Grundy will cut you a check for $65k/75k/100k (agreed upon value), while you will be lucky to get $45-50k from a common carrier. If you have a shadow of doubt for even 1/2 second on what I'm telling you, call your common carrier and ask the rep point blank, "I total my Z, how much are you going to pay me?". Be prepared to stay on the phone for an hour or more while they dodge the question and transfer you through three departments and four managers. Worse yet, Grundy and Lloyd's can offer umbrella coverage in multiples of $1 Million, while common carriers sell you on "100k/50k/100k" coverage and talk about "how great it is". Flat bed towing and other riders to include tools and spare parts and more come included with Grundy as well.

If you are ever fortunate enough to qualify for Grundy, it is worth it's weight in gold.
Exactly, common insurers, they are going to find the most cut rate value that they can which in most cases will leave you with a sometimes substantial gap. Don't even think about a classic. I was Quoted by USAA for an Alfa Romeo GTV at a replacement value minus depreciation of a total value 1000 dollars. Whatever the car is they take the year sold sales price and deduct from there. So a forty year old classic that commonly retails for 30,000-40,000 in their eyes is worth a grand. Go with Grundy or Haggerty for your special cars.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote