Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Sun roof loose

Hey there my Camaro friends!
I was driving with my sunroof closed, sunroof shade open, and windows open, when I hit 55mph the wind buffeting made my closed sunroof start flapping up and down, scared me pretty good. I checked the 6 screws that can be accessed from inside the car, all were tight. Awhile back I started to notice it was rattling louder and louder when it was fully open. I can push on it with low-medium effort when closed and it moves up about 1/4-1/2 inch.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Rob Russell

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
You could have a broken track if all of the screws are tighten down properly. Have you tried moving it at all without loosening any of the screws? Does it move?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
Rob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
KJZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
You could have a broken track if all of the screws are tighten down properly. Have you tried moving it at all without loosening any of the screws? Does it move?

Thanks for your reply Rob,
I did check it without loosening the screws, it moves up and down. I never loosened the screws, I just checked to see if they were tight. How could the track have broken? I do use it a lot I guess, but nothing ever hit it.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
Rob Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
Thanks for your reply Rob,
I did check it without loosening the screws, it moves up and down. I never loosened the screws, I just checked to see if they were tight. How could the track have broken? I do use it a lot I guess, but nothing ever hit it.
Cheap China plastic is the best way I can explain it lol. I work on automotive glass repairs and have seen plently of sunroofs in my 10 years of repairing them. If the glass isn't busted out from a rock, the tracks have given out. Dealerships or eBay should have them available for purchase. And if you know how to do the work it could be a 1-2 hour job, or done by your local Auto Glass repair shop but be prepared to pay a little bit of money for labor

Old 04-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
KJZ28

Quote:
Cheap China plastic is the best way I can explain it lol. I work on automotive glass repairs and have seen plently of sunroofs in my 10 years of repairing them. If the glass isn't busted out from a rock, the tracks have given out. Dealerships or eBay should have them available for purchase. And if you know how to do the work it could be a 1-2 hour job, or done by your local Auto Glass repair shop but be prepared to pay a little bit of money for labor

Rob,
Thank you so much for that information. Is there a way to inspect the track and look for where it is broken? 1-2 hour job seems decent. I would try and tackle it myself.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
Rob Russell

Quote:
Rob,
Thank you so much for that information. Is there a way to inspect the track and look for where it is broken? 1-2 hour job seems decent. I would try and tackle it myself.
Disassemble your interior (side pillars, small sun visors, anything on the headliner, and let it gently come down so you don't tear it up) and you should get good access to observe all of your hardware in there

Old 04-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
Rob Russell

Also while you're taking apart the interior, clean your drain holes for the sunroof or you'll experience water build up pouring inside

Old 04-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
KJZ28

Thank you for all of your help Rob!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Mine does the same thing. The track wasn’t broken on mine. I would be interested to see if yours is.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #10
KJZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 View Post
Mine does the same thing. The track wasn’t broken on mine. I would be interested to see if yours is.

I will be sure to post up in this thread after I inspect it. Should get to it later this week.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
KJZ28

I looked at my sunroof. I didn't take headliner down as I did not see a need to. It is loose on one side, but I can't tell what is loose. If the track is broken I can't tell, as there is no visible cracks.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Rob Russell

Quote:
I looked at my sunroof. I didn't take headliner down as I did not see a need to. It is loose on one side, but I can't tell what is loose. If the track is broken I can't tell, as there is no visible cracks.
Check the glass and where it sits on the frame itself. Does it look uneven or off? It's kind of hard to diagnose without actually looking at anything.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
KJZ28

Quote:
Check the glass and where it sits on the frame itself. Does it look uneven or off? It's kind of hard to diagnose without actually looking at anything.

The glass and the frame look fine, the tracks look fine. When I shake it, its wiggling from where the sliders sit in the track.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #14
Rob Russell

It's gotta be the track or another mechanism right there with it. If you look for the parts on gmpartsdirect under the sunroof it's parts 2 &9 I believe are what you would be looking for