Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-15-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
SurfAnimal

Drives: Chevy Suburban
Fan problem

Ok, so I bought this 2010 2SS a week and a half ago. The cooling fans quit within 2 days. I replaced them, and all was well. Sounded like a helicopter under the hood.
Just now, my ac turned warm, and my fans went silent. They're spinning, but maybe at half speed? And I can no longer hear them. I just fired it up in the yard (still warm) the fans did not come on. I put on the ac, no fans. They did come on after a bit (still quiet) and the temp stayed around 199/200.

I'm concerned because this car had a new motor dealer installed, less than 3000 miles ago. I'm thinking theres an electrical gremlin affecting the fans? Any advice is appreciated, tia. Bobby.
Attached Images

SurfAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Sounds like maybe an issue with the ac. Fans will come on at low speed for cooling and may increase as needed for the AC as ECT climbs. They won't reach full speed based upon ect until somewhere around 220+, unless the tune has been changed.

It sounds like the AC isn't coming on to call for higher fan setting. And I think the fan call is based upon AC pressures, not just the AC being turned on.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #3
SurfAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Sounds like maybe an issue with the ac. Fans will come on at low speed for cooling and may increase as needed for the AC as ECT climbs. They won't reach full speed based upon ect until somewhere around 220+, unless the tune has been changed.

It sounds like the AC isn't coming on to call for higher fan setting. And I think the fan call is based upon AC pressures, not just the AC being turned on.
Thanks for the reply.
So you think an AC diagnosis would find an issue?
Old 09-15-2023, 03:38 PM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfAnimal View Post
Thanks for the reply.
So you think an AC diagnosis would find an issue?
Maybe. But hard to say for sure without being there and seeing it myself. It might be more than one problem.

Is the AC compressor kicking on?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #5
SurfAnimal

It was running when this happened.Im in Florida, so it's NEVER turned off. I'll have to check that, thanks.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:00 PM   #6
SurfAnimal

The ac clutch is not spinning. Fuse and relay are good. Anything else to look at before I change the compressor?
Again, thanks.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:37 PM   #7
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
DON"T change the compressor, you are probably low on refrigerant. I bet there is a leak in the system and the seller charged the AC right before the sale. Instead of throwing parts at it take it to a reputable mechanic and let him diagnose it.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 04:43 PM   #8
SurfAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
DON"T change the compressor, you are probably low on refrigerant. I bet there is a leak in the system and the seller charged the AC right before the sale. Instead of throwing parts at it take it to a reputable mechanic and let him diagnose it.
In that case, wouldn't the clutch still spin?
Eta. Guess not. Thanks.

Last edited by SurfAnimal; 09-15-2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:48 PM   #9
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Is the clutch not spinning or is the compressor not spinning? If the clutch isn't spinning you would have a broken belt. The clutch won't engage the compressor if your refrigerant pressure is low. Have you put gauges on it yet?
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 11:17 PM   #10
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Low refrigerant,go to AC service.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 07:36 AM   #11
Nenous1

Drives: 2011 Camaro rs
My advice' take that car to a high performance auto shop, spend the money and have the tech perform an allout inspection' it's worth ever dollar...

Don't try and guess.
Nenous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #12
SurfAnimal

I got it diagnosed. It's the compressor. He drained the system, and is going to charge the new one for free. I'm changing it myself, tomorrow. Wooooo! Good times!