Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
LS Randy

Drives: 14 Camaro SS LS3/M6
Broken Chin Splitter

My ACS splitter was improperly installed by yours truly and only lasted two days. Lost a few chunks on the highway. Is there anything I can do i.e. putty, sand, paint or cut to get this looking any better. I bought it on eBay for $200, so not a huge loss, but if it can be fixed I'll try that first. Thanks.
Attached Images

2014 LS3/M6, SS4NFC, GPI Heads, Ported Rod/Mod Intake, LTH, PTB, UDP, CAI, 3.91, LSA Injectors and Fuel Pump, E85, Tuned by GPI 532rwhp/473ft-lbs tq. 11.37 1/4 Mile @ 124 MPH, Member of the SBE Killaz, Founder of the River Valley Camaro Club. IG @ARCamaro5
LS Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Duct tape fixes everything.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
what is it made out of?? I seen some plastic get repaired using a soldering iron... sorta melt it back together. then you could use epoxy and fiberglass tape on the backside to help support (this is how they repair lots of urthane bumpers)... fill and repaint. but I'm guessing you missing the pieces.

could probably repair with fiberglass but that will be a PIA and time consuming. probably easier just getting another one.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
That is minor damage ...
Cracked and chipped the running boards on my Chevy conversion van many times over the years and used fiberglass and bondo to repair stronger than new - repairs turned out perfect. You could contact the manufacturer and ask them what method repair they recommend.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
I've had to order 3 ACS Splitters because of damage. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for those damages in your pics. You will have to order a replacement. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckysCharm777 View Post
My ACS splitter was improperly installed by yours truly and only lasted two days. Lost a few chunks on the highway. Is there anything I can do i.e. putty, sand, paint or cut to get this looking any better. I bought it on eBay for $200, so not a huge loss, but if it can be fixed I'll try that first. Thanks.
How did you mount it wrong. I'd like to learn from your mistakes. I'm going to be installing mine this weekend I hope .
Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Yeah, the ACS will shatter. Lost part of mine coming out of a Chevron a few years back. I installed it right... but my car is lowered and even at an angle coming out of that carefully, still scraped, shattered... and well on to the next one. I went through 3 splitters total before I converted to the ZL1...
Attached Images

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #8
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
How did you mount it wrong. I'd like to learn from your mistakes. I'm going to be installing mine this weekend I hope .
Not sure what ACS is sending nowadays, but when I installed my T5 in 2013, they sent splitter push rivets I believe they're called. I chose to get quality bolts to secure it versus the plastic rivets. No issues.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
1Coopgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Not sure what ACS is sending nowadays, but when I installed my T5 in 2013, they sent splitter push rivets I believe they're called. I chose to get quality bolts to secure it versus the plastic rivets. No issues.
Thanks
The install kit that came with the T5 has 2 of the push pins. It came with Nuts and bolts .And after doing some reading around here I went and picked up some more nuts and bolts just in case . So it should be pretty solid .
Old 04-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
LS Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I put in the two main bolts and the ten rear. It did well around town, but once I hit 90 on the Hwy air came in the front ripping it down. I will have the next professionally put on lol. Not sure what I did wrong.
2014 LS3/M6, SS4NFC, GPI Heads, Ported Rod/Mod Intake, LTH, PTB, UDP, CAI, 3.91, LSA Injectors and Fuel Pump, E85, Tuned by GPI 532rwhp/473ft-lbs tq. 11.37 1/4 Mile @ 124 MPH, Member of the SBE Killaz, Founder of the River Valley Camaro Club. IG @ARCamaro5
Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
It did well around town, but once I hit 90 on the Hwy air came in the front ripping it down.
That's how I destroyed this one... you live you learn...
Attached Images

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #12
1Coopgt

Quote:
I put in the two main bolts and the ten rear. It did well around town, but once I hit 90 on the Hwy air came in the front ripping it down. I will have the next professionally put on lol. Not sure what I did wrong.
The 10 bolts are suppose to be for the holes you drill . Did you drill the new holes and install the bolts in them? I'm guessing no.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #13
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Definitely repairable. It's made of fiberglass and I've had to repair mine before. To be honest, the hardest part was finding someone to paint it for a fair price.

Also with this same repaired splitter I've gone 180 mph. I guess make sure you have all the bolts where they're supposed to be
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
LS Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
Definitely repairable. It's made of fiberglass and I've had to repair mine before. To be honest, the hardest part was finding someone to paint it for a fair price.

Also with this same repaired splitter I've gone 180 mph. I guess make sure you have all the bolts where they're supposed to be
Probably went the super ghetto way about it. But with a few layers of duct tape, several layers of bed line and plasti dip I've got it looking decent again.
Attached Images