Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
A Bit of Fun at a Price Gouging ZL1 Dealer!

This past weekend my wife and I drove by a Chevy dealership (in Fletcher, NC) which I had heard had a ZL1 at a large markup. I looked in the window and sure enough there sits a good looking black w/polished wheels ZL1. Tonight after work I decided to have a bit if fun. I drove to the dealership and parked a half block away. I then walked to the dealership. I'm dressed in my work clothes - an old tee shirt and shorts. I was going to play the uneducated consumer. I walked into the showroom past a salesman and the new car manager. They did not bother to even say anything to me. I went over and looked the ZL1 #1024 for some time but no one offered me any info. The "sticker" was laying on the dash and a sign was hanging on the mirror with a $8,200+ markup.

I walked over two salesmen who finally turned toward me and introduced themselves. I asked if the price on the mirror was the going price. The manager said I was "in luck 'cause today the car was marked down $800." I said "oh really" and he proceeded to tell me that it is a rare car #24 of only 200 made. I said that I thought there were over 1,700 made. He said "no that he had a certified letter from GM stating it was #24 of 200." I said that I thought that the Camaro5 Forum had a list of forum member VIN numbers and that the numbers were sequential and the highest was over 1700 at this time. The salesman looked for this site and finally found it and I showed him the thread on members VIN numbers. At that point the manager proceeded to tell me that was impossible because of the only 200 made and that those numbers listed could not possibly be "real ZL1's" besides there were "missing numbers." I explained that only those members who wanted their VIN listed were there and that nonmember #s were not listed. I showed him the numbers before and after their #1024.

At that point the mgr. insisted that they had #24 of 200 made and had the GM letter to prove it. I told him I'd make him a deal. - If he could produce the GM letter I would give him my car and if not he would give me the ZL1 on the showroom floor!" He said my car would not be worth what his ZL1 was (remember I walked in.) I said "oh really how about ZL1 #391. It's in the first 500 made and it's just down the street." At that point the mgr. said he wasn't sure where the letter was or if he could even find it. I then thanked them for letting me look at their ZL1 told them it was a beautiful car and wished them luck in their attempt to "hood wink" potential buyers. I then walked down the street got in the ZL1 and cruised past the showroom.

How can dealers be allow to pull this kind of stuff off on unsuspesting cunsumers? This mgr. will tell you most anything. Above is just a brief description of a 20 minute discussion. I can tell you it was getting deep! I think the salesman really did not know. He had been brain washed. Does GM not care about there dealer ethics? No wonder some go and buy other brands.

I hope those of you looking for a ZL1 or any car for that matter do your homework before you go to the dealer.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
This past weekend my wife and I drove by a Chevy dealership (in Fletcher, NC) which I had heard had a ZL1 at a large markup. I looked in the window and sure enough there sits a good looking black w/polished wheels ZL1. Tonight after work I decided to have a bit if fun. I drove to the dealership and parked a half block away. I then walked to the dealership. I'm dressed in my work clothes - an old tee shirt and shorts. I was going to play the uneducated consumer. I walked into the showroom past a salesman and the new car manager. They did not bother to even say anything to me. I went over and looked the ZL1 #1024 for some time but no one offered me any info. The "sticker" was laying on the dash and a sign was hanging on the mirror with a $8,200+ markup.

I walked over two salesmen who finally turned toward me and introduced themselves. I asked if the price on the mirror was the going price. The manager said I was "in luck 'cause today the car was marked down $800." I said "oh really" and he proceeded to tell me that it is a rare car #24 of only 200 made. I said that I thought there were over 1,700 made. He said "no that he had a certified letter from GM stating it was #24 of 200." I said that I thought that the Camaro5 Forum had a list of forum member VIN numbers and that the numbers were sequential and the highest was over 1700 at this time. The salesman looked for this site and finally found it and I showed him the thread on members VIN numbers. At that point the manager proceeded to tell me that was impossible because of the only 200 made and that those numbers listed could not possibly be "real ZL1's" besides there were "missing numbers." I explained that only those members who wanted their VIN listed were there and that nonmember #s were not listed. I showed him the numbers before and after their #1024.

At that point the mgr. insisted that they had #24 of 200 made and had the GM letter to prove it. I told him I'd make him a deal. - If he could produce the GM letter I would give him my car and if not he would give me the ZL1 on the showroom floor!" He said my car would not be worth what his ZL1 was (remember I walked in.) I said "oh really how about ZL1 #391. It's in the first 500 made and it's just down the street." At that point the mgr. said he wasn't sure where the letter was or if he could even find it. I then thanked them for letting me look at their ZL1 told them it was a beautiful car and wished them luck in their attempt to "hood wink" potential buyers. I then walked down the street got in the ZL1 and cruised past the showroom.

How can dealers be allow to pull this kind of stuff off on unsuspesting cunsumers? This mgr. will tell you most anything. Above is just a brief description of a 20 minute discussion. I can tell you it was getting deep! I think the salesman really did not know. He had been brain washed. Does GM not care about there dealer ethics? No wonder some go and buy other brands.

I hope those of you looking for a ZL1 or any car for that matter do your homework before you go to the dealer.
Nice job at testing the knowledge level of your local dealer I think that any time you walk into a dealership, caveat emptor should be of present mind. The predator always prey on the weak(minded). If someone doesn't arm themselves with enough information of what they are looking for, then aren't they themselves liable for their own outcome? I find it amazing that they would tell you that they have a letter that states GM is only making 200 and then I would have looked at them and said " Oh yeah, well how come you have #1024 ?

Yes, it is a shame that in order to compel someone into believing the relevancy of a markup that they have to lie about it, but I don't think that GM has any type of watchdog service for this type of behavior. Maybe a report to the BBB could be useful? It's not the first time I've read what you've reported in thread about deceptive practices, It seems this one is common at several dealerships...it must be a successful one if they keep implementing it. It sure is tough to eat sometimes, and in sales, it's usually feast or famine.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
RJ111

Drives: 2015 ZL1
It must be a N.C. thing.My local Dealer (Mckenny) tried the same with me.Wow,the salesman was p'd when I told him he was miss informed.
RJ111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:

That's not fair from your part to go into a dealer and setup the manager and his sales people for this ,
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ111 View Post
It must be a N.C. thing.My local Dealer (Mckenny) tried the same with me.Wow,the salesman was p'd when I told him he was miss informed.
That one is already sold...
Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Well there is an a** for every seat...someone will be foolish enough to purchase it at that price
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
1MtnGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
That's not fair from your part to go into a dealer and setup the manager and his sales people for this ,
I did not set them up. It was the first thing out of their mouth. "#24 of 200". They started it! I was only looking to see if their price was still jacked up.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
RJ111

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
That one is already sold...
I noticed it was gone now,they had it for almost a month.They were asking 5k over.Someone got 1 of 200.....
RJ111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
1MtnGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Nice job at testing the knowledge level of your local dealer I think that any time you walk into a dealership, caveat emptor should be of present mind. The predator always prey on the weak(minded). If someone doesn't arm themselves with enough information of what they are looking for, then aren't they themselves liable for their own outcome? I find it amazing that they would tell you that they have a letter that states GM is only making 200 and then I would have looked at them and said " Oh yeah, well how come you have #1024 ?

Yes, it is a shame that in order to compel someone into believing the relevancy of a markup that they have to lie about it, but I don't think that GM has any type of watchdog service for this type of behavior. Maybe a report to the BBB could be useful? It's not the first time I've read what you've reported in thread about deceptive practices, It seems this one is common at several dealerships...it must be a successful one if they keep implementing it. It sure is tough to eat sometimes, and in sales, it's usually feast or famine.
In part of the discussion #1024 did come up. Their answer was that there was no sequential numbering and the "24" was the 24 of 200.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
WHAT dealers lie? Who would've thunk it?

There is a reason that dealerships rate just below Bagdad Bob on professional ethics.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Hey dealers will do what they can to make a buck. There are many fixed cost at the dealership and times are still tough. Some less informed person with a big down payment will get financed for list price + $8,200. Sad that at this premium price the car will depreciate ~$13,000 the first week he owns it.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
Several of the dealers I've approached have used these same tactics. One says 1000, another says 400, another says 300 were built. In each of these cases, the car they were trying to sell me had build numbers exceeding the total number of cars they claimed were built. This week one guy told me they might not build a 2013 ZL1. Meanwhile, in Oshawa, they're rolling off the assembly line.

What gives me a headache in all this is not the mark-up, I expected that. What I didn't expect is the complete disrespect they have for me as a potential customer. BTW, not all of the dealers I talked to were like this.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2016 corvette Z06
well, we all know car dealers out in the sticks aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
In part of the discussion #1024 did come up. Their answer was that there was no sequential numbering and the "24" was the 24 of 200.
Should of asked them if they were related to Forrest Gump. But he was probably smarter than they were.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote