Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #57
Vudu

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
a couple of questions regarding the hitch install

I really appreciate you posting all of the detailed photos of your hitch modification and install. Between your posts and other ones from 1008com I've really been able to get my head around getting this same setup installed on my 2011 SS.

I've got two questions though that hopefully you help me out with:

1. Do you have any particular advice regarding the locating and cutting out of the hole in the rear diffuser?

2. Did you opt for the 2" receiver as opposed to the 1.25" due to some other towing demands? (I'm just looking to accommodate a Thule T2 bike rack like 1008com has done and I'm thinking that the 1.25" receiver style should be adequate and also require a smaller hole in the diffuser. I'd like to know if there is some other aspect I'm not considering).

Great looking work and thanks again for the help.
Vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #58
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2LT/RS/T.F./6M "naomi"
Just have a lot of 2" accys available from previous vehicles I have owned, including a bike rack that I had for a Grand Cherokee.
I reinstalled the rear bumper without the diffuser, and made a template that was taped to the back of the diffuser. Than cut it with a utility knife. Then just test fitted on the back of the car, (without actually pushing the tabs into the rear bumper) and cut out what was needed to actually tilt the diffuser back into positiion.

Joe

Last edited by STINGS; 05-25-2011 at 08:19 PM.
STINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #59
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
Yikes yours is done a lot more professionally than mine. I'd actually TOW with yours! But in my defense, I was expecting this to be a bolt on box, and the only welding would be switching from 1.25" to 2". I didn't expect any of these other headaches.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #60
jlpearl
Performance-Dyno.com

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Those customized hitches look great! I just completed my Curtis hitch install. It's not too bad but it would be great if it was behind the diffuser. I had trouble getting my passenger side exhaust hangers back on due to the hitch and had to cut the 'bridge' out of that exhaust hanger. The driver's hanger was ok. Also, my factory diffuser absolutely would not come off and ended up cracking while trying to remove it and I had to buy a new diffuser
Attached Images

jlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #61
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
I like it, I have been looking for a way to mount a receiver in the back where I just need to cut a small hole. I want to be able to pull a very small utility trailer with my racing tires on it. Lots of racers that don't want to trailer their cars to events do it. I will only do it if I can keep the appearance down to a 2x2 receiver out the back and that's it. I can fit one drag radial in the trunk and one in the rear seat now, need an option for four racing slicks for auto-x events.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #62
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpearl View Post
Those customized hitches look great! I just completed my Curtis hitch install. It's not too bad but it would be great if it was behind the diffuser. I had trouble getting my passenger side exhaust hangers back on due to the hitch and had to cut the 'bridge' out of that exhaust hanger. The driver's hanger was ok. Also, my factory diffuser absolutely would not come off and ended up cracking while trying to remove it and I had to buy a new diffuser
Looking good!
First trailering experience was with the Curt, and your right, had to cut that bridge out of the hanger also! Second problem I had is when the exhaust got hot it expanded and the top rear of the muffler would touch the edge of the hitch, and it sounded like the exhaust was right in the car with you. Cut the corner off of the passenger side vertical plate (on the hitch) to get another 1/4 inch of clearance. Of course it meant getting that damn hanger(s) off and on again to make the cut.

Joe
Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #63
jlpearl
Performance-Dyno.com

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for the tip about the hanger Joe!

Also, do you have issues removing the diffuser? I think I'll just remove the whole bumper cover next time. The tolerances between the bumper cover slots and diffuser tabs werent that great.
jlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #64
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpearl View Post
Thanks for the tip about the hanger Joe!

Also, do you have issues removing the diffuser? I think I'll just remove the whole bumper cover next time. The tolerances between the bumper cover slots and diffuser tabs werent that great.
Worked around the diffuser when I installed the Curt.
Needed to get at the bumper tube when I started on the hitch that went through the diffuser, so needed to take the bumper off. First time got the hitch all setup and installed, second time to reinstall the hitch after it was powder coated. Both times removed the diffuser while the bumper was off, because it was easier to reinstall the bumper without it. (Easier to stab the bumper without having to line the hitch through the diffuser at the same time) Even with the bumper off, the middle 2 tabs are a real pain in the backside to get unsnapped.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #65
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
i seen a Camaro towing a 5x8 v nose and I say to my self you must be kidding he past me like I was setting still. A Camaro is not for towing it for driving no matter what the tow capacity is towing is good way to wreck a good Camaro.
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #66
98nosz28

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
I seen that Hidden hitch is making one now. they make quality stuff so i think that is what i am going with. they say 200lb hitch weight and 2000pound towing. i have a 5x10 light weight v-nose that i take camping all the time.(we have a seasonal site and the boat is on a lift) there would be a 2 suitcases in it a cooler with booze for the weekend and a few little other things. the trailor is 990 pounds so that leaves me 1010 pounds of cargo. i could put lots in the rear to keep the weight off of the front. i can pull this thing around the lake lot with my hands so i think there is no problem towing a it with a camaro. i am going to wait until i get it out of storage now that i have seen the hidden hitch to see were it hooks to.

2011 SS/RS synergy green, sunroof, M6. Street scene ground effects, hood spear and shark fin decals from ridergraphix.
98nosz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #67
Rockslam
The Noob

Drives: 2006 QSM GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98nosz28 View Post
I seen that Hidden hitch is making one now. they make quality stuff so i think that is what i am going with. they say 200lb hitch weight and 2000pound towing. i have a 5x10 light weight v-nose that i take camping all the time.(we have a seasonal site and the boat is on a lift) there would be a 2 suitcases in it a cooler with booze for the weekend and a few little other things. the trailor is 990 pounds so that leaves me 1010 pounds of cargo. i could put lots in the rear to keep the weight off of the front. i can pull this thing around the lake lot with my hands so i think there is no problem towing a it with a camaro. i am going to wait until i get it out of storage now that i have seen the hidden hitch to see were it hooks to.
Towing 2000lbs with the Camaro is probably not a good idea. I would maybe go with 1000lbs , but 2000 is about double what the rate it for. Not that the rating is probably even tested.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #68
98nosz28

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslam View Post
Towing 2000lbs with the Camaro is probably not a good idea. I would maybe go with 1000lbs , but 2000 is about double what the rate it for. Not that the rating is probably even tested.
You said it in your post it was never tested. I do not see how these hitch companies can sell hitches rated for these cars up to 2000lbs without some testing done by themselves. I am not worried about stoping or anything it is the lack of frame structure under the car, which is why i am not ordering one until it is out of storage and see where the hitch bolts up to.

I had our local machine shop custome build one for my 98 and i towed my seadoo with it no problems. our 03 grand prix pulled it through the mountains in BC also so i will not worry about it to much.

2011 SS/RS synergy green, sunroof, M6. Street scene ground effects, hood spear and shark fin decals from ridergraphix.
98nosz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #69
Rockslam
The Noob

Drives: 2006 QSM GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98nosz28 View Post
You said it in your post it was never tested. I do not see how these hitch companies can sell hitches rated for these cars up to 2000lbs without some testing done by themselves. I am not worried about stoping or anything it is the lack of frame structure under the car, which is why i am not ordering one until it is out of storage and see where the hitch bolts up to.

I had our local machine shop custome build one for my 98 and i towed my seadoo with it no problems. our 03 grand prix pulled it through the mountains in BC also so i will not worry about it to much.
Just because a HITCH is rated for 2000lbs towing capacity doesn't mean the car is. It's your car , do what you want with it. I was just giving you an opinion.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #70
TonyCigar
Anthony Cascio

Drives: White 2SS/RS, orange stripe & seats
Send a message via AIM to TonyCigar
Curt Manufacturing Hitch.

Installing this hitch was more involved than the instructions lead you to believe. Had to perform some minor surgery on the muffler hangers. There was interference with the hitch & mufflers so some grinding was required on the hitch.
Attached Images

TonyCigar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch