Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #85
eratem12

Drives: 2012 Transformer Camaro SS
Added Hidden Hitch To My Transformer Camaro SS

Just added the Hidden Hitch to my 2012 Transformer Camaro SS today.
It's hardly noticeable from the side or back at all.
It's great to haul my mountain bike and still get out and hit the trails.
Awesome.
Next to add a complete Borla Stinger exhaust system.
Awe Yea!
Attached Images

eratem12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #86
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by eratem12 View Post
Just added the Hidden Hitch to my 2012 Transformer Camaro SS today.
It's hardly noticeable from the side or back at all.
It's great to haul my mountain bike and still get out and hit the trails.
Awesome.
Next to add a complete Borla Stinger exhaust system.
Awe Yea!

Bravo to you for going for it and installing the hitch. I need one for a jet ski and I think it would look bad a$$ if I could snag a set of mag wheels for the trailer that matches the car.

With 4 dollar a gallon gas I just cant see myself buying another vehicle to tow a lightweight jet ski and few miles to the lake.

Something like this would be perfect.

Would like to see some pictures of the rear and underneath. Perhaps you can PM me where you bought your hitch and what a good price is.

Thanks Much

W
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #87
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
CenterForce DYAD Dual Disc Clutch, JDP stage 2 Clutch Reservoir, Rotofab CF CAI with Big Gulp and WW Reservoir Relocate, Stainess Works LT Headers and Retro Cat-Back with Cat Delete, MGW ST Shifter with custom Knob, CF Tail light Bezels, more to come...
Build Thread for my Z is in the works.....
PonyKiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #88
cam fan

Drives: fast
@ eratem12, that looks amazing! I like you install the best. Which Hidden Hitch system did you add? How much did it cost? Weight added? Difficult to install? THANKS!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #89
Wizzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
@ eratem12, that looks amazing! I like you install the best. Which Hidden Hitch system did you add? How much did it cost? Weight added? Difficult to install? THANKS!

Check this out..... Has video and shows how it goes on.

I am going to buy it next month.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2010302252
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #90
Wizzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzer View Post
Check this out..... Has video and shows how it goes on.

I am going to buy it next month.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2010302252

Correction....Done bought it and installed it..... I had a fun time because as you will see below I did not like the way the directions had me install it.

I used some of my own bolts but in order to remove the bolts in the area effected I had to pop the rear bumper cover off. There was no way to remove the nuts with out a socket on the other side. That scared the poo out of me because it was the first time.

In the end I have a better mounted product for my mountain bikes and my jet ski trailer. I was glad I rolled under the car today because I saw my passenger side seal for the axle shaft is starting to leak around the differential seal. Off to the dealer for some warranty work next week before they try to blame it on the trailer hitch.

Here is some pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #91
Wizzer

Last post and I will let this thread die. I always hate seeing the same posts pop up but I am so impressed with towing ( regardless if you think it should or should not tow ) I thought you guys would like to hear this...

Picked up my Jet skis a few days ago. Drove 150 miles up and gave the remainder of the money I owed. Drove back in the dark at 10pm. The hitch was untested but since I upgraded the bolts I didn't see what could really go wrong if used correctly.

The tongue weight is really minimal. I would say about 40 pounds or so. The car didn't even drop when I put on the trailer. Drove a few miles and pulled over to check everything over... Rock solid. There was a bit to thunking as the arm wiggles in the receiver ever so slightly and you feel the bumps the trailer hit through the frame but nothing damaging or annoying.

I got on the highway and slowly increased the speed to 60. Amazingly it pulled off 24mpg and 60 mph on flat land and 20 average on hills. I drove 150 miles home and I had plenty of time to test fuel economy.

The v-6 pulls these awesomely. I would say that the wear and tear on the car is no different than having a few fat chicks in the back seat.

I only will need to pull these to the lake a few times a month so although I never thought I would put a hitch on this car it does a fantastic job if you don't abuse it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wizzer; 04-29-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #92
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Hot damn! I'm buying a jet boat soon and will be trying this. Hoping gross weight would be 1500 pounds total
Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #93
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
I already have a Hidden Hitch installed on my '13 SS. I am hoping to put an aftermarket catback exhaust on soon. Anybody know of problems with any particular makes of exhaust in conjunction with a Hidden Hitch? (That is: It won't fit!!!)

I want to profit from your pain.
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #94
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I had a hitch on my older Camaro for bikes and my trailer. Everyone thinks its cool. I have no need for a truck, and unlike a truck, I just take my trailer off, put it up against the back wall out of the way in the garage, and I am back to normal car. Got to etrailer.com. They have hitches that are car specific. 2000 lbs rating I think, But I wouldn't go that high

Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #95
DonTFG

Drives: 2014 RS
I need to tow my harley occasionally. Bout 1500lbs with trailer with RS MODEL
DonTFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #96
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
I find the thought of putting a hitch on my Camaro strangely intriguing.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #97
Wizzer

Update.

Ok so I figured I would do an update on the hitch vs no hitch and explain what went wrong......with the fact I tow a few times a year to the lake.

Well after 4 some years I have to say..... Nothing went wrong. Not a darn thing.

Pulled like a dream. Gave me about 20mpg at 65. I own an older truck now because gas went down and my son drives it to school. I got tired of all the wet clothes stinking up my trunk. Now out of all the people that saw the car... Most took pictures and said that was cool. I told them I was the fastest guy to the lake and they smiled and that was that. About 4 or 5 said I was a dumba$$ for doing that. And then they got in there crappy 15 year old car and drove away.

Sure its not made for it. But it worked when I needed it to and never any grief.

I did drop the trans-pan at 60k and changed the fluid partially.

My car has 70k on it and its way paid off so everything after that is a bonus.

I also added a front push bar for my vol job with the EMA. That way I didn't have to drill holes in the roof for a light bar.

After 3 years mounted do you want to know the side effects of that.... Nothing. Its 50 extra pounds of weight on the front end and I don't even feel it. Tires still wore out at 30k just like the set before the add-on.

I have to say these cars are pretty good about a bit of unintended use.

Now what did fail in the last 6 years was a passenger side seat belt module and a emission control solenoid under the car.

Some of the forum members might remember this picture but since the car is garage kept and waxed all the time she still looks new. Dealer offered me 16k on a trade in. That means I drove it for 6 years and lost 10k. I think that's acceptable.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2016, 01:16 AM   #98
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
I also had no problems with 6 years and 2 Camaros worth of moving mountain bikes with a hitch mounted rack. The only reason I'm selling the rack is because I no longer have a Camaro. I never did any towing, but I also always had a backup truck (which is now my primary vehicle).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435151

Tags
hitch