Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Nicksort

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I purchased a ZL1 and have questions

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I hope I don’t post this where I shouldn’t.
I recently purchased a 2013 Zl1 6m with 600 miles on the od from a 68 year old lady. I know that it sounds funny but I am in my 70’s so she was younger than me. I have been building and racing cars since the 60’s. I learned many years ago that 1/4 mile times are not the best judge for a quick car but the butt pucker method was, if it scares the shlt out of you then you built a fun car. I have a few questions since this is my first supercharger car and because of my age it maybe my last car, (exactly what I said about the vette I bought 2 years ago).

The Z came with a RotoFab cai installed and a few other parts that I will need to decide if I want them or sell them.
All I want is a fun car that will scare the crap out of my wife.
One item that I do have plan to install is a new sfi HB and 10% lower pulley.
1. Do I really need to have A/F Wideband to have the Z tuned or can I go without it? I don’t intend on headers or cam change now or in the future.
2. I live in southern Arizona and 91 octane is the max, but I have local e85. Is e85 kit worth the install on a stock Z with the cai and pulley update, and can the factory injectors handle the e85. I don’t mind the cost of the kit (300), but updating the injectors and possibly the pump is too much for me.
3. Even though the Z has been sitting most of its life do you recommend changing the plugs before going to the tuner? If yes, What plugs do you recommend?
4. Another included part I have is a lingenfelter supercharger coolant reservoir and pump, is this necessary to add or should I sell it?
5. I am aware of the isolator issue so I took the car to the dealer and they laughed at me when I asked them if they could replace the S/C under the Service Call. They told me that they didn’t want to spend GM $7000.00 for a replacement on a new car that has no issues. They told me to put at least 10k miles on the motor in the next 12 months. I told them at my age I may be dead by then! Do you think I can do the isolator update myself, I looked at the snout and it looks like it may come off without removing the complete S/C with special tools, is this possible or not?
6. If I do the isolator repair should I replace the upper pulley with something close to the original diameter as in 2.8 for a little bit more psi?
7. Anything else or advice you may share?
Thanks to all that reply.
Nick
Attached Images

Nicksort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
You don't need to install a wideband to get a tune

e85 is worth the effort, but it will require a new fuel pump and new injectors. This injectors you will need will be a good bit more than 300.

Pull a plug out and if it looks good leave it alone.

The Lingenfelter pump will reduce intake temps. How hard are you going to run it?

Smaller upper pulley gets more power. How hard do you want to run it?

Do your mods before you get the tune.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Damn, only 600 miles? Before you jump in and spend a heap o' cash just drive it and maintain it for a while. Probably a good idea to change ALL of the fluids including a good brake bleed. If you just want to frighten the spouse turn off the traction controls and let 'er rip! You may be pretty happy with it as is. E85 MOD is good for FI car if you're chasing low ET but remember you already have a low 12 sec car that is fine with 91 octane dinosaur drool. Beautiful car BTW!
Old 07-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
diddies

Drives: 2013 ZL1
1. Do I really need to have A/F Wideband to have the Z tuned or can I go without it? I don’t intend on headers or cam change now or in the future.
You can go without it.
2. I live in southern Arizona and 91 octane is the max, but I have local e85. Is e85 kit worth the install on a stock Z with the cai and pulley update, and can the factory injectors handle the e85. I don’t mind the cost of the kit (300), but updating the injectors and possibly the pump is too much for me.
I would not go e85 without bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump.
3. Even though the Z has been sitting most of its life do you recommend changing the plugs before going to the tuner? If yes, What plugs do you recommend?
NGK TR7IX
4. Another included part I have is a lingenfelter supercharger coolant reservoir and pump, is this necessary to add or should I sell it?
Not necessary as all especially with the way you talk about driving it.
5. I am aware of the isolator issue so I took the car to the dealer and they laughed at me when I asked them if they could replace the S/C under the Service Call. They told me that they didn’t want to spend GM $7000.00 for a replacement on a new car that has no issues. They told me to put at least 10k miles on the motor in the next 12 months. I told them at my age I may be dead by then! Do you think I can do the isolator update myself, I looked at the snout and it looks like it may come off without removing the complete S/C with special tools, is this possible or not?
You can't remove the snout without taking off the lid to unbolt the supercharger a bit just to lift up so the snout will clear.
6. If I do the isolator repair should I replace the upper pulley with something close to the original diameter as in 2.8 for a little bit more psi?
That is completely up to you and what you decide to do with the car.
7. Anything else or advice you may share?
I would say cam, headers and the whole works but that is just me. It will really wake up the car.
diddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Seems like your getting your questions answered but if I was you I would just leave it stock and enjoy it. Like was said before just turn all the nannies off and you might be surprised how much the car changes just doing that. O Let me welcome you to the party here! You will find there are a great group of people here to answer all your questions and they will guide you in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy the car.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
First, congrats!

Second

5.) Take it back to the dealer and have them change out the isolator. It is under a 10yr/120k warranty. The dealer gets reimburse from GM to do the work. Get it done.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #7
Nicksort

Thanks for the honest answers.
When I called a few vendors all they wanted to do is convince me to tear it down and build it up into a 700hp motor, except one vendor who listened to me but still suggested more than what I wanted.
My intention is to drive it occasionally and not at a track so I will only do the lower pulley since I have it available and I will check the plugs and get a tune.
Thanks again Nick
Old 07-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
Nicksort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
First, congrats!

Second

5.) Take it back to the dealer and have them change out the isolator. It is under a 10yr/120k warranty. The dealer gets reimburse from GM to do the work. Get it done.
I did ask them to change the whole unit as the service bulletin suggests or even changing just the isolator and they still said NO. I am Not pleased with their response.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksort View Post
I did ask them to change the whole unit as the service bulletin suggests or even changing just the isolator and they still said NO. I am Not pleased with their response.
The SC is not a recall, thus they do not have to change it if it’s not making a noise and yours isn’t at 600 miles. You need to put a couple of thousand miles on before you get any indication the isolator has an issue. But you also need to keep an eye on years as it’s 10 years from the original sale. By the way nice find...
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:42 PM   #10
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
nice steal!
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #11
12oclockshadow

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6
Nice pickup! I'd drive it get all the fluids in car changed first. Then drive her awhile so when you do mods if feels even more fun than before. Yee e85 is great on these cars. Good tuner is needed. Make sure if they do tune for e85. They let it sit and tune cold starts on e85 next morning. These cars need that or will.have starting issues. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
Bowtie_Brigade

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
For the OP. I just had my supercharger on my 2013 replaced with 1560 miles on the clock. Now mine did sound like marbles when idling. The dealer did have to formally evaluate it prior to ordering the replacement parts. Find another dealer or keep an eye on it as the 10 year warranty extension on the SC is only valid from the build month/year on the door sticker.
Bowtie_Brigade is offline   Reply With Quote